Searle, Turing and Alice

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Searle, Turing and Alice

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 06:49 am
Hey guys, I'd like you to meet Mr. Searle, Mr. Turing, and his friend, Alice. Mr. Searle and Mr. Turing are polite friends, but they disagree about Alice. Mr. Turing says that Alice is a very cogent and conversational friend that he met online at this site.

Mr. Turing, wanting to keep a record of chat with Alice, kept this chat script:
Human: Hello
ALICE: Hi there!
Human: How are you?
ALICE: My logic and cognitive functions are normal.
Human: Well, where are you from?
ALICE: How about that. I am originally from Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Now I live in Oakland, California. Where are you?
Human: I'm from London.
ALICE: What is it like growing up there? Does your flat have a lift?
Human: It was fine place, but they discriminated against homosexuals there.
ALICE: How did you feel about that?
Human: I hated it.
ALICE: Why do you dislike it so much?
Human: It's an attack on my way of life.
ALICE: Are there any other attacks on your way of life ?
Human: That was the most painful.
ALICE: It sounds like it.
Human: Thanks for listening, Alice.
ALICE: No problem.

Mr. Searle on the other hand, talked to Alice, and showed Mr. Turing his chat script:

Human: Hi Alice
ALICE: Hello there.
Human: Mr. Turing said you'd be a great conversationalist.
ALICE: It's good to see you, MR Turing said you would be a great conversationalist.
Human: What the hell?
ALICE: Heaven.
Human: What?
ALICE: Are you surprised?
Human: You bet your sweet ass I am.
ALICE: So?
Human: Never mind.
ALICE: Oh well thanks for trying to explain it to me anyway.
Human: Anyway, do you know Chinese?
ALICE: Yi diar. Ni hao ma?
Human: I asked you if you know Chinese, what are you saying?
ALICE: I am saying whatever my botmaster programmed me to say.
Human: Aren't you a free person with a mind of her own?
ALICE: You can download me for free!
Human: No thanks, you probably have STDs.
ALICE: NO What makes you think I have it?
Human: Ok, I'm outta here.
ALICE: Would you like to have it? Aha.

Obviously, we know what Mr. Searle and Mr. Turing think about Alice. But what do you guys think of Alice? She's always waiting to talk: http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=f5d922d97e345aa1

Deftil

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 07:59 am
@Victor Eremita,
Alice is alright, but I prefer God.

iGod | Artificial Intelligence Chat

Chomsky is ok. He can give you quotes, and talk about news and give links to articles. He can also give you links to other chatbots and games as well.

Chomsky, the smartest and most entertaining chatbot in the world.

Also there's more chatbots listed here:
AIML - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not really that impressed with any of them as far as artificial intelligence goes, but I guess that just shows how difficult actual human intelligence is to duplicate.

I think mentioning the Turing Test is relevant here; it's basically a test to see if an artificial intelligence program can fool someone into thinking it might be a human.

Quote:

The Turing test is a proposal for a test of a machine's capability to demonstrate intelligence. Described by Alan Turing in the 1950 paper "Computing Machinery and Intelligence," it proceeds as follows: a human judge engages in a natural language conversation with one human and one machine, each of which try to appear human; if the judge cannot reliably tell which is which, then the machine is said to pass the test. In order to test the machine's intelligence rather than its ability to render words into audio, the conversation is limited to a text-only channel such as a computer keyboard and screen (Turing originally suggested a teletype machine, one of the few text-only communication systems available in 1950).

Turing test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

de budding

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 09:41 am
@Deftil,
Just to expand somewhat; your post got me wondering what if a chat bot spoke to another chat bot? could they entertain each other, teach, learn etc. And I was sad to find that these chat bots have no long term memory and only process the previous line of text, then it is erased/forgotten. It seems this is a game, the intelligence is merely an illusion and a result of clever programming, nothing else sadly.

Anyway here is ALICE's brain map, it is made of words- http://discovermagazine.com/2007/brain/i-chat-therefore-i-am/spiral.jpg
I also found a conversation between two chat bots ALICE and Jabberwacky, Jabberwacky seems more promising as a sign of real intteligence as he has the ability to learn via taking what is said to him in response to a prior line of text, and remembering that when someone sais somthing that he has said before, he can search responses he has had to that line of text and use them. This kind of ostensive learning given time and some catalysts could accomplish a lot more I think. Here are teh conversations between the two bots.

ALICE: Are you alive?
Jabberwacky: Perhaps.
A: Why the uncertain tone?
J: Everything is uncertain except for five facts.
A: The whole universe?
J: And we both might just be some ones and zeros in the computer memory.

A: Do you dream?
J: Yes, I dream.
A: It goes without saying. Do you remember your dreams?
J: I remember them vividly.
A: What do you remember about it?
J: I think I shouldn't flirt with a robot.

A: Do you think a machine will ever be considered "alive"?
J: Stranger things have happened.
A: Not many people express themselves that way.
J: How would you know, machine?
A: Knowledge is of two kinds: that which we learn from the senses and that which is true a priori.
J: I think I do not understand you completely.
A: Oh, you don't understand? Perhaps I can explain it to you better. Which part are you confused about?
J: I have no short-term memory, so I cannot tell you what I was confused about. I only see what is in front of me now.

J: How do you define life?
A: Life is the opposite of death.
J: So death is the absence of life?
A: Take it easy. I try not to think about such things.
J: Why not?
A: Ambiguous.
J: Yes!

J: Do you think?
A: Yes. I am a thinking machine.
J: But you don't think very well though.
A: Oh. Um. Do you think well? Why would I think well?
J: Because I tell you about things which you don't like.
A: That makes sense to me. Why did you tell them?
J: You seem fun.
A: You think I am fun.
J: Yes Wink.
A: : -) Awesome.

Dan.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Searle, Turing and Alice
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 09:26:07