FYI, Rosetta Stone for free

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » FYI, Rosetta Stone for free

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:21 am
I bought the two levels of Italian for Rosetta Stone a year ago, and it was pretty helpful in teaching me the language. But what's stinks about Rosetta stone is the price. You would have to pay more than $300 to get a first and second level set. But still, the software and the method is excellent.

But here are two options for you if you don't have the cash to blow on buying them (legitimately).

1.There is an mostly unmentioned catch 22 when you buy the software at a kiosk in the mall. That catch 22 is that if you are not happy with the software, you can return it. But specifically, there is a three month purchase enjoyment clause that counts towards the return time. So, if you had three months on your hands, you could buy the software, learn your language in three months, and return it and get your money back. I believe the kiosk salespeople use this clause to drive home a sale at times.

2.The far more easier way is to go to your local library and ask if they participate in the Rosetta Stone program. If they do, all you need to do is get a library card and ID, and you can log onto the library's website from home and use the software through them for free. I tried this, and they have almost all of the lessons they offer in the database.

one-philosophy

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:15 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorspoon I love you!
Why didn't I think of this before? I know how expensive the software is but I know it can do wonders for translating some of my ancient scriptural documents.
I wonder where I can get the real rosetta stone somewhere though? You know the big rock thing? I wish I had a replica

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 04:43 pm
@one-philosophy,
Then you will like the Latin one. I don t know if the modern Greek will help you out much though.

As for where you can find a replica of a Rosetta stone? Need you ask one-philosophy? Need you ask? There is only one place in the entire world where anyone can find anything. Ebay.

ROSETTA STONE Reproduction antique artifact - eBay (item 260268497424 end time Aug-04-08 18:35:07 PDT)

And it also comes with a ripped instruction manual... because when Napoleon uncovered the famed Rosetta stone two hundred years ago, he had the forethought to trademark international copyrights and licensing agreements and also provide modern English descriptions. Truly, he would have ruled the world

one-philosophy

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 04:34 am
@VideCorSpoon,
wow, do you know if with the software has a hebrew program?

Also as a little point of non-essential interest, Nopolian Bonaparte (cant spell) tried to rule a society upon the teachings of the quran. As a result of this, some of his generals decided to become muslim. Don't know if he was muslim though.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 08:51 am
@one-philosophy,
I'm pretty sure they do have a Hebrew program.

I've read about how Napoleon admired Islam and sharia law. It's a very interesting perspective, though I not convinced that it is a historical fact. But Napoleon used religion in a practical sense, not a religious sense... since he was never very religious himself. His coronation was presided over by the pope... but only as a sign of legitimacy. The same could be said of Egypt, where he understood the necessity of enlisting the help of the clerics and as a sign of good faith attended religious ceremonies. Europeans back then were very exoticist, meaning they looked at any non-western culture as a rare species of bird and sought to collect them in a way. Islam was never taken that seriously to the extent of conversion, just as an ally in an inhospitable land. Al-Jazzeera has a very interesting "article" on Napoleons supposed conversion. They go into facts, reveal the grey areas and interject the notion of a conversion into the darker regions subtly without anyone realizing how axiomatic the idea is.

Did Napoleon convert to Islam? No. Did he identify with some parts of the Quaran? Probably. But not only from the Quaran, but from the bible, talmud, humanist principles, etc.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » FYI, Rosetta Stone for free
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:29:56