What people do...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What people do...

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 04:14 am
I'd like to know what do you call Philosophy. I know a wide range of philosophers, and I have no other word for any of them. Nevertheless, the intention, the causes and the method are strikingly different from one to another.

Regards,

Soledad

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 07:10 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
"the ultimate driving machine... B...M...W" LOL! (funny, and yet ironic if you just happen to play golf.)

I tried to find the actual BMW philosophy, but didn't find any other statements than that. Funny though, you would think they would publish that stuff all over their website. All I found were corporate visions and that kinda junk. I found one that said, "BMW's philosophy is about friendship." Sure it is, sure it is.

Philosophy is the recycle bin of the sciences. (I'm using "recycle" instead of "trash" because it is more eco-friendly in this day and age. Green or die, right? RIGHT? You don't even want to know what happen to the vote or die detractors. LOL! But I would say that philosophy is like a catch pan for anything that cannot fit into the "established" sciences, like biology, physics, etc.

Anyway, welcome Beemer.

BeatsMeWhy

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 07:20 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon;19151 wrote:
"the ultimate driving machine... B...M...W" LOL! (funny, and yet ironic if you just happen to play golf.)

I tried to find the actual BMW philosophy, but didn't find any other statements than that. Funny though, you would think they would publish that all over their website. Just corporate visions and that kinda junk. I found one that said, "BMW's philosophy is about friendship." Sure it is, sure it is.

I noticed the BMW thing after choosing my nick... Surprised
which, in fact, stand for Beats me why!

VideCorSpoon;19151 wrote:
Philosophy is the recycle bin of the sciences. (I'm using "recycle" instead of "trash" because it is more eco-friendly in this day and age. Green or die, right? RIGHT? LOL! But I would say that philosophy is like a catch pan for anything that cannot fit into the "established" sciences, like biology, physics, etc.

Anyway, welcome Beemer.

Thanks for the welcome, and for your def. You can say where you stand with it Smile. A definition by exclusion.

Don't you ever think Philosophy to be a matter with all its rights, with a purpose of its own? Don't you ever think of it as the first and not the last thing to be worked on?

Thanks again, and regards...

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 07:36 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
If philosophy had a purpose of its own, I fear the world would get a lot warmer from all the hot air everyone would be blowing. Aristophanes had a great quote that said of Socrates, "I tread the air and contemplate the sun." Jonathan Swift in Gulliver's Travels said that the preoccupation of one scientist/philosopher at the academy was to, "extract sunlight from cucumbers." Truly, philosophy is a noble profession.

But self assumed axiomatic expressions tend to clog the airways at times. But I think philosophy comes at all stages. I don't think people have the attention span in particular to develop a philosophy or aggregate it at one particular moment and carry it through to the end.

Vasska

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 07:43 am
@VideCorSpoon,
A lifelong individual journey to answers and understanding, supported by many great minds, doubts, misunderstanding and many more from the emotional spectrum.

Other than that it's just a pleasant way of wasting time.

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 06:09 pm
@BeatsMeWhy,
Quote:
Don't you ever think Philosophy to be a matter with all its rights, with a purpose of its own?

Philosophy is a Meta-discussion on whatever it is that is being discussed. If it had a purpose it would be to discuss its purpose.

BeatsMeWhy

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 02:46 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:
If philosophy had a purpose of its own, I fear the world would get a lot warmer from all the hot air everyone would be blowing. Aristophanes had a great quote that said of Socrates, "I tread the air and contemplate the sun." Jonathan Swift in Gulliver's Travels said that the preoccupation of one scientist/philosopher at the academy was to, "extract sunlight from cucumbers." Truly, philosophy is a noble profession.

I meant, of all the purposes traditionally we assume philosophy has, don't you think there is one that is the essential one? What do you think that is the cause of people's thinking about thinking and about people thinking?

Sorry if I seem to be below the standards... I don't know much about famous philosophers (I have read Gulliver's Travels, even Plato's Dialogs, but I have never gone much further).

boagie

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 07:05 pm
@BeatsMeWhy,
BMW wrote:
I'd like to know what do you call Philosophy. I know a wide range of philosophers, and I have no other word for any of them. Nevertheless, the intention, the causes and the method are strikingly different from one to another.Regards,
Soledad

BMW,

For me it is where wonder is fully expressed, an enterprise of wonder?

Doobah47

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 02:52 am
@boagie,
The whole shebang, in it's enitirity, useless and fundamentally ineffable. Philosophy is a game of deception, but O how people love to deceive and regulate each other... Language rules philosophy, but philosophers are the rulers of language!

BeatsMeWhy

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 04:08 am
@Doobah47,
Doobah47;19657 wrote:
The whole shebang, in it's enitirity, useless and fundamentally ineffable. Philosophy is a game of deception, but O how people love to deceive and regulate each other... Language rules philosophy, but philosophers are the rulers of language!

Are you a sophist? Smile

BeatsMeWhy

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 04:21 am
@BeatsMeWhy,
As any other activity, Philosophy is bound to be a survival trait. Not even from the point of view of the species, but from every individual's.

I personally wouldn't call Philosophy anything you use to confound other people or to get advantage over them (at least, knowing that in very simple systems cooperation improves every individual's probability of survival, and that so far there is no proof that any living creature will do nothing it can calculate as a bad thing for itself, not even to defend its descendants).

I wouldn't call Philosophy a cultural option to be regarded as a philosopher, let alone an apparently useless way of spending our limited lifetime.

I would call Philosophy the way to:
1.- Understand cooperation as a profitable attitude.
2.- Learn how to cooperate.

I know many people will disagree. And I'll sincerely thank any remark or correction.

I don't know if someone will agree, but in case someone does, I'd really love to know.

Regards,

S.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What people do...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:07:36