What is your opinion about this statement

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What is your opinion about this statement

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:09 am
Quote:
Religion is a disease! It is a diseases that slowly will kill the victim if the victim becomes aware of it! Some victim live with this disease and learn to tolerate it and control it by just giving up and FULLY SOUROUNDING to it.This disease is different than the other diseases since once it knows you are aware of it and its side effect its double its attacks by bringing help and reinforcement by triggering a respond in other victims of its disease and it have to attack you in any way they can! Those who win the battle face even a greater challenge, challenge of learning how not to be infected with it again, learning how to live with the victims of that disease.

So what is your view?

de budding

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:44 am
@ltdaleadergt,
My opinion of the sentiment is...
It is wrong- if you truly do know better, to so viscously condom religious circles. Sure, a religious person condemns you out of ignorance, but let's not get bitter and return the favor. I prefer to look at it thusly: Religious people choose a life of happiness, the ignorance entailed is necessary for the happiness- the goal. Where as we- as in the non-religious/atheistic/philosophical types, choose truth. Recognizing that the kind of closure that religion offers- the happiness(?), is superficial and not 'true'. We by-pass it and feel the need to vindicate ourselves. Perhaps this is the comments rooting? Regardless I think it is a relatively inaccurate and an over aggressive statement.

Renn

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 03:39 pm
@de budding,
well, it made me laugh.

More seriously, it is ridiculous. irrational...illogical...nonsense. Sorry, I get all uptight when things don't make logical sense. The statement is like that of a politician or speaker, rallying a crowd. What battle...I don't know what they are talking about.

I can't say I'm very pro religion, I respect it for its advantages and the hope it gives some people. Maybe that is the disease (sort of like what the above person said)... a disease of false subjective illogical knowledge. Illusionary hope. Anyway, if that person is trying to escape the disease of religion then they aren't doing a good job. They speak in such an irrational way...graahhh... Okay, I'm going to stop reading it now before I give myself a headache XP

de budding

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 03:45 pm
@Renn,
Renn wrote:
well, it made me laugh.

More seriously, it is ridiculous. irrational...illogical...nonsense.

he he, hence why I only dared comment on the 'sentiment'. I was a tad confused by the dramatic language and tone. Very Happy

Arjen

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 04:25 pm
@de budding,

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 04:59 pm
@Arjen,
I have nothing against spirituality on an individual level. I think it serves a necessary function in life. It provides meaning and purpose and helps ease dread of living and anxiety about death. That said I think that institutional spirituality--religion--is an evil that acts as a disease within society. It divides people into the believers and the nonbelievers and usually results in fighting between the groups. It also leads to institutional fighting--wars as we typically call them--which no good ever comes out of. For those that claim to be religious why do you need to practice the institutionalize version of spirituality? Can you not think for yourself?

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 06:05 pm
@Theaetetus,
Seems like inscindiary rhetoric aimed at beating the same dead horse. Frankly I find the constant bickering regarding God/No God, Religion evil/ not evil the one great fault of this forum. If this were more than flaming, (if it were an argument not an opinion) I wouldn't mind it so, but last I checked being a (insert denomination here) didn't cause cancer.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What is your opinion about this statement
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 11:08:25