Investigate your philosopher

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Investigate your philosopher

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 07:47 am
I have seen great minds and personalities in this forum and I thought to myself why not ask you guys to begin spending time doing something better in this forum. Something like researching and writing a report about one of you favorite philosophers and than share it with others. We can debate about him and his work and therefore learn and spend our time in here more efficiently! EG we could pick one philosopher and to a small research about it and learn one aspect of their vast works and try to expand on he or she and therefore learn more about him/her? What do you guys think? Anyways I am beginning some research on Hegel and if anyone care to join me let me know Very Happy
I need about 5 days to read about his work on "spirit". Next aim is Nietzsche. I got a 13 day break and I though i spend it on reading about what I really want Very Happy Let me know tx

Arjen

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 09:15 am
@ltdaleadergt,
I have doen so several times and am right now busy writing just such a report on Descartes. It will take me a week or so still to finish. The last one I wrote was on Spinoza. If you would like to discuss him or his work, I would very much like that. I have also done a piece on Kant, and Hobbes. Perhaps you'd like those too. Take your pick Smile

Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 10:05 pm
@Arjen,
I am working on a short story that is a symposium of humanity's purpose, but it ticked me off ((:irritated:)) to find out that Plato has already done a symposium and I think his idea wasn't far off from mine. So now I'm doing research on Plato, seeing what he's already come up with, so that all my ideas are original. I mean he even named the work 'Symposium' just like I did. I thought it would be a good title when I saw Videcorspoon title all of his logic lessons 'Logic Symposias' . Got any suggestions for further readings of Plato?Very Happy

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 11:16 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Quote:
Got any suggestions for further readings of Plato?
Just about everything, really. Euthyphro, the Apology, and Crito are good to read through together. It's the trial and death of Socrates, lot's of often talked about philosophy. The Republic is the most essential work.

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 01:16 am
@ltdaleadergt,
Do we have to call Dibs on a certain one?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 01:31 am
@GoshisDead,
Quote:
Do we have to call Dibs on a certain one?

Multiple perspectives of the same character can only further our education.

Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 06:31 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Yeah what was with Socrates and Plato. Were there fundamental disagreements or something in real life at the time between the to?

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:17 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Got any suggestions for further readings of Plato?Very Happy

My favorite "trilogy" of Plato's is Theaetetus, The Sophist, and The Statesman. Since they are so closely related they should be read in that order for maximum understanding. You could also add Parminides to the list as a kind of intro to the set, but it is not essential.

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 07:19 pm
@Theaetetus,
I forgot to mention, I am done with the rough copy of the Jose Ortega y Gasset bio. I am a perfectionist so it may be a few more days before I finish it to my liking.

I also began to work on a profile for Alan Watts. Maybe after that I will do Tom Robbins. I know most would never think as Robbins as a philosopher, but his novels serve as a means to transmit his philosophy.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Investigate your philosopher
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 01:12:59