Choosing a School for Philosophy/Religion

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Choosing a School for Philosophy/Religion

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Calia

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 02:58 pm
I hope this isn't too redundant. I mentioned this in my Intro post, but I know there's an excellent chance many users don't read those (Wink) and I didn't want it buried there since I'm really interested in as much input as anyone will offer.

I am strongly considering returning to school for a degree in Philosophy and Religion (preferrably a combined degree, otherwise 2 degrees since they hold equal interest). I am not looking at doing this for any professional purposes, 'merely' personal ones. So I don't care if the school can get me a great job - I want a great education (hopefully the two would go hand in hand, but that would be a different topic).

So I seek advice twofold:

-Does anyone recommend a school or a solid method to choose one?

-Should I go for a Masters or a Second Bachelors? (I was leaning towards second Bachelors but am very open to a logical, swaying argument.)

I hope many people have an opinion on this. In the meantime I plan to lurk threads and pop up if I feel I have anything, as a relative novice, to offer.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 04:04 pm
@Calia,
I'm so happy to hear of someone trying to go back to school out of interest in education. Kudos to you!

I know you are not considering school for the sake of a career, but a Masters degree is a useful piece of paper in any field of work. Mostly, though, I guess the issue boils down to this: how much academic instruction do you want in these fields? Some well informed direction? a second bachelors will provide. A thorough survey of the study with some authority? then you want the masters.

As for the school, geography is probably the most significant factor. I might know of a great school, but if it's on the west coast and you are on the east coast, my suggestion is useless. My advice is to look into the schools nearest to you. Check out the philosophy and religions departments, and do some investigative work about the instructors. Because you are interested in the study for personal development, I imagine the quality of instruction is paramount.

de Silentio

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 05:16 pm
@Calia,
Calia wrote:

-Does anyone recommend a school or a solid method to choose one?

I see that you live in Virginia, but Grand Rapids, MI has a great Religious/Philosophy college: Calvin College. Their website is: Calvin College

Quote:
-Should I go for a Masters or a Second Bachelors? (I was leaning towards second Bachelors but am very open to a logical, swaying argument.)

If you already have a BS or BA it is not necessary that you get another BA in philosophy to go onto a Masters in Philosophy. However, I would suggest taking a few classes at the BA level if you need to become more acquainted with philosophy.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 09:30 am
@de Silentio,
As to your first question, "does anyone recommend a school or a solid method to choose one?"
A School is a School.

A school is a school regardless of what certification, laureate, whatever. Whatever school you pick, the programs are going to be pretty much the same because core requirements are core requirements. The system is interconnected in that way. In the end, it all depends on how far you want to take your own education. Schools give you the fundamentals, but it is up to you to take it to the next level. Some may disagree with that assumption, but there it is.

Cost vs. Benefit

Ivy League for example doesn't mean first tier, it means 1 education for the price of 5. Always look at the price vs. the benefit of the education you will receive. If you go to Yale and major in pottery, you end up with a $120,000 four year degree that will take you 40 years to pay off making $30,000 a year with a compound interest on your loan totaling $240,000!!!

Public vs. Private

There may be something to be said about private vs. public universities though. From experience, a private school is easier, nicer, more pleasant, professors work with you and enjoy doing it, but you have to pay for it. A public school on the other hand is harder, uglier, less pleasant, professors need to get paid, but it is a lot cheaper. DO NOT GO TO A PUBLIC SCHOOL OUT OF STATE!!!! The tuition rates are doubled outside your own state as an out of state student. My advice is this. Try to go to a private school in state
The Degree you want

You want a philosophy degree and a religion degree. That's great! I majored in philosophy and pre law/premed. The two degrees are very similar, and they are both encapsulated within the sub college of liberal arts, which is the degree you will receive. From the way you put it, you want to double major. That's awesome. It will take you 5 to 6 years to complete that based on possible credit hours. But you can complete what you want in 4 years by majoring in philosophy (or religion) and minoring in religion (or philosophy). A minor is transcribed on your records, but you only have to do half the required classes to get it. Do a major and a minor.

This is an important piece of advice. When you are looking at schools, AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!! LOOK AT HOW MANY DEPARTMENTS THE COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY HAS IN YOUR PARTICULAR COLLEGE!!!!! Universities are cutting back across the board, and unfortunately cutting into departments as well. For your degree, you need to make sure the school you choose has; a philosophy department, a religions department, a language department, a psychology department, and a HEALTHY humanities department. There are more, but you get the picture. If they are cutting the humanities department, that department is then rolled over into the philosophy department, and the quality of the philosophy classes' change or downgrade. There is more to be said, so if you want to know more, I'll be happy to address them.

As to your second question, "Should I go for a masters or a second bachelors?"You can take masters classes as an undergraduate. They are roughly the same as undergraduate classes they just want a bit more substance from you. You can either signup for them or have an instructor give you "seat card" for it. The seat card is a subtle science though. As for you second bachelors degree, you can double major at the same time like I said previously, you just go a bit longer.

Calia

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 10:29 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Replying to everyone here:

Quote:
I'm so happy to hear of someone trying to go back to school out of interest in education. Kudos to you!

Thank you. I am (apparently) a Strange Duck in many ways, this being one.

Quote:
I know you are not considering school for the sake of a career, but a Masters degree is a useful piece of paper in any field of work.

This is an excellent point that I hadn't even considered since I wasn't going for professional reasons. But a Masters certainly couldn't hurt.

Quote:
Mostly, though, I guess the issue boils down to this: how much academic instruction do you want in these fields? Some well informed direction? a second bachelors will provide. A thorough survey of the study with some authority? then you want the masters.

Coupling that idea with the others suggested, I think it sounds like pursuing a Masters but taking some undergrad classes to bulk up in certain areas sounds like the best plan. Yes?

I will look at Calvin College after this.

Quote:

Smile Well I graduated with a 4.0 in major and I think a 3.5 overall. So my grades should be okay. Been out of school for a while now, not used to "testing" anymore so I'm a bit apprehensive about the GREs.

Monetarily...ha, I have nothing. So it's all loan based. I'm not adverse to a scholarship but I'm a generic white woman from generic (former) middle class Americana. I don't qualify for most of the specific programs. Given that I graduated 10 years ago with my BS I don't qualify for anything for current students either. My employer isn't paying for anything so... If anyone knows of a scholarship offhand I'd be happy to apply for it. Not that I'm expecting anyone to do my work for me, but the best ones tend to be the hardest to find I've noticed.

Re: a School is a School and Cost/Benefit I wonder if I should start off taking a few courses at the local Community College? If I go for a masters they are probably a waste in regards to credits. But I can shore up the basics cheaper...

I'm a jump in with both feet kind of gal. A community college has a training wheels feel to me. You know? But that doesn't mean it isn't prehaps prudent.

Quote:
First, you can definitely do a masters program. It's two years and if you are good enough and notable, you can recieve a fellowship where they give you money to go to school and in return you teach.

I enjoy teaching; I'm told I'm quite good at it too. I don't care about money, except that I don't want stress 24/7 for rent or to eat. So on that level I very much care. I will look into that too.

Quote:
But here is a better solution to a master's program if you don't wish to get the paper that says you have a master's. You can take masters classes as an undergraduate.

I would love to have a photo album full of degrees one day. Even considering making a game of it. Like a degree for every letter of the alphabet (I suppose something from Xavier University will have to sub in for X though...or perhaps a degree in Archeology even if that joke is a bit obscure) or a degree from each state. This is not currently a real life goal as much as a wistful one.

Point is, if I'm doing the work, I'd rather pay a "little" more and get the degree. And as pointed out above, it might help me professionally even accidentally.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:38 am
@Calia,
I envy your optimism. School nearly destroyed my health and financial security.

But I'm not sure whether you are going for an undergraduate degree or a master's degree. It sounds like you have already been to college since you are thinking about the GRE, which is taken after you receive an undergraduate degree.

Scholarships are offered to almost exclusively to freshmen undergraduates and can never be recovered once they are lost by GPA fluctuations. There are however Stafford loans and Pell grants that take care of about $3K of you tuition, but Stafford is a loan but offers exceptionally good terms. Because of the general state of the economy and such, funding for regular grants are not high, so it is difficult at this point in time.
Taking classes at community colleges is actually a really good idea. JUST MAKE SURE THE COLLEGE YOU ARE GETTING YOUR DEGREE AT ACCEPTS THE UNILATERAL CREDITS. I've heard some horror stories.

In regards to masters, you can take the masters level course while you are an undergraduate and have them apply to your master program once you are accepted to that particular school. But make sure you verify with the department.

I'm glad you enjoy teaching. Teaching at college level sucks. The students usually don't talk and the ones that do talk too much. The interdepartmental bureaucracy stinks as well. If you get paired with a crappy professor, it's a long two years.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Choosing a School for Philosophy/Religion
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:17:46