Teachers TV- Ready to Learn Experiment.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Teachers TV- Ready to Learn Experiment.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:05 am
Teachers TV released the results from a huge experiment they did on children's cognitive abilities and their 'readiness to learn'. They got 78,000 children at 682 schools to take part over the month of may and have had scientists analyze the results and released a video on it available here. And here is the micro site with lots more information and the published results.

Dan.

Vasska

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 12:04 pm
@de budding,
I must say I admire the fact that they took - no less - than 78.000 schoolchildren instead of the usual classroom to a dozen of schools making the experiments unrepresentative.

Their experiments are fair and tested a number of times, I cannot complain on any inexperience or misuse of the situation for their is none.

Their results however are not shocking and only putting statistics to what we already know. Bread with cheese or meat is much healthier than the bowl of chocolate covert cornflakes and releases energy at a slower - and better - speed. We already knew that among many other things discussed in the experiment.

Since you are from Britain you know Jamie Oliver (For the Americans; he's a popular cook in Britain and some parts of Europe) and his great project of giving childeren healthy food to fight obesity. I think these project should be one hundred percent government funded. Sadly I learned a few weeks ago that many of the schools got lazy again (And many people found the one pound 50 to much) and started to throw everything in the deep fry again.

de budding

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:41 pm
@Vasska,
Jamie Oliver is considered a food Nazi by the older students. The year 12 and 13 students (16/17-18/19 y.o's) are subjected to his 'diet' and feel they are old enough to make their own food decisions. I find this understandable and perhaps some kinks need working out but, I agree whole heartedly with his sentiment, and perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad thing if he got some government funding for the project and projects alike.

Dan. Smile

Vasska

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 01:35 am
@de budding,
de_budding wrote:
Jamie Oliver is considered a food Nazi by the older students. The year 12 and 13 students (16/17-18/19 y.o's) are subjected to his 'diet' and feel they are old enough to make their own food decisions. I find this understandable and perhaps some kinks need working out but, I agree whole heartedly with his sentiment, and perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad thing if he got some government funding for the project and projects alike.

Dan. Smile

I thought his diet was only for the 5 to 12 year old. Guess I was wrong.

de budding

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 03:34 am
@Vasska,
Yeh but they all use the same cafateria, so I guess the schools feel obliged to make them have the same menu.

Vasska

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 05:21 am
@de budding,
de_budding wrote:
Yeh but they all use the same cafateria, so I guess the schools feel obliged to make them have the same menu.

Understandable from the schools perspective (money). The kids should not nag about it to much I think, but I guess most British kids don't take kindly to my idea.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Teachers TV- Ready to Learn Experiment.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 08:51:59