Beginners guide for atheist

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Vasska

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:11 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I think God was always pretty useless when he is thought to be "an all knowing imaginary friend that you can tell everything, and use to get rid of any question you have, hence "God did it""

I hate to tell people this, because often they do not like to hear it (religious people), but without a practice it's all rhetoric and/or comfort in ignorance. God has to mean something to you, there has to be an application to life that is more than a way to explain away what you do not understand because you are too lazy to investigate or too afraid to say 'I don't know'.

In that sense, God is dead. Or should die.

I also think God has been useless from the very beginning, but I can understand that some people find him comforting in the sense as I just described him.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I meant no sarcasm. Even if we cannot come to a full definition of God for intellectual discourse, we can still talk about God and consider the array of claims about God. Doing this can be great fun as long as the issue does not get personal. The execrise can even be helpful in trying to understand different points of view about God, something which is important for tolerance.

All right then, I found your separation of the words "Great Fun" fairly sarcastic. Anyhow you did not meant it sarcastic. I'm happy for you, because it really undermines you if you did.

The problem with God is that it almost always becomes personal. Talking about God in the more philosophical way proves God to be more interesting than talked about in the religious terms.

Quote:
Yes, that's fine, but not all comments have to be some sort of argument.

I'm can be fairly defensive at times, sorry for that.

Quote:

About 'advocated God' such a thing does exist, many of them, too many to count. We can discuss them by identifying them by whatever characteristics believers apply to them. What we cannot do is debunk one 'advocated God' and then conclude that God does not exist, or that God is dead in some universal sense.

We might, for example, prove that Gods do not literally cause weather patterns. But in debunking notions of God which rely on this claim we have not shown all notions of God to be bogus.

True, nothing to say about this.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:36 pm
@Vasska,
Quote:
I also think God has been useless from the very beginning, but I can understand that some people find him comforting in the sense as I just described him.

As I said, God isn't much use unless we can apply the concept to our daily life. If reflection on God does not help you intereact in a more positive way with others, then find something else.

Quote:
The problem with God is that it almost always becomes personal. Talking about God in the more philosophical way proves God to be more interesting than talked about in the religious terms.

People take such discussions personally because they have faith but no understanding. Without understanding, any criticism of faith is a great risk to the believer's sensibilities. I recall on my college campus a church group handing out flyers warning students not to take certain classes because the classes might cause people to question their faith. The list included, of course philosophy, but even such course as literature and history. For making such a fuss about faith, these people have very little of it if they cannot even face criticisms of their faith. What kind of faith is that? It's nonsense.

Philosophical discussion about God is certainly interesting. As for religious discussion, often what we hear is the same old rhetoric - quoting verses and blah blah blah. Very little seems to relate to living. But that's all religion should be - living. Of course, unless you find value in reflecting on God, I see no reason for your spiritual path to include God.

Hunter Thompson said something once, and I thought it to be interesting. "At the top of the mountain we are all snow leopards." In Buddhism, a snow leopard is someone who achieves enlightenment without the aid of a teacher. Someone who reached the top by their own path, without directions.

Vasska

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 03:05 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Previous post by Didymos Thomas, omitted for readability of the topic.

And all I can do is agree.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:41:05