Hello

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

JTG

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 02:57 pm
I just found this website and am looking forward to participating.

Actually I came here initially with a specific request.

While I was in High School I read a book that motivated me to start studying Philosophy. The book would have been in print in the early to mid 90's and was written as if Socrates was alive today. One specific passage that I vividly remember was a discussion between Socrates and a young man who was complaining about work. The conversation went something like this: (Socrates) - if you dislike your job, why do you continue to go? (young man) - because I want to earn alot of money. (Socrates) - why?
(young man) - because I want to go to college. (Socrates) - why?
(ym) - so I can get a good job. (S) - why? (ym) so I can make alot of money. (S) why? (ym) - so I can retire and won't have to work.

If anyone knows what this book might be, I would greatly appreciate the help.

boagie

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 07:09 pm
@JTG,
JTG,Smile

Smile Welcome, sorry I cannot be of aid here, but perhaps one of our associates will come to the rescue. At anyrate we are happy you have chosen to join us! Make yourself at home and think about making your first post. Again WELCOME!! boagie:)

Justin

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 10:52 am
@JTG,
Warm welcome to the Philosophy Forum JTG and thank you for the intro.

Not sure exactly which book you are talking about but Socrates did interview and question a lot of young men in Athens. Actually, it may be Socrates and Plato that you are referring to.

Hopefully someone can send you to the correct book.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 09:25 am
@Justin,
That dialogue is not from any traditional Socratic dialogue (Plato or Xenophon). JTG, I think I have heard someone mention a book such as this, one written as if Socrates were alive in modern times, causing his usual mischief. You might want to do a search on Amazon.com or some similar site, and just browse through anything relating to Socrates. You'll find it, I'm sure.

Welcome to the forums.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 11:48:41