I've discovered the meaning of life...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » I've discovered the meaning of life...

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Aedes

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 02:57 pm
... and it happens to be my 1-day old son Max. Funny how he answers all philosophical questions -- what is love, what is beauty, what is perfection, and what is the meaning of life.

If I'm not around as much for a while you'll understand why.

http://www.pbase.com/drpablo74/image/95168593.jpg

Dustin phil

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 03:02 pm
@Aedes,
Congratulations! He's adorable. Smile

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 04:55 pm
@Aedes,
Beautiful. Congratulations to you and your family, Aedes.

de budding

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:53 am
@Aedes,
Congratulations, from me and my girlfriend Very Happy.

Justin

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 01:12 pm
@Aedes,
Congratulations Paul. He is adorable. Children certainly bring meaning to a philosopher and procreation. You must be so proud! Thanks for sharing the pic.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 05:39 pm
@Aedes,
I'm not a parent (thank God, I'm too young), but just about every parent I know tells the same story - the birth of their children explains everything. At that moment, the meaning of life is perfectly clear.

I cannot even begin to imagine the joy and burden of responsibility. While I cannot imagine just how great a gift children are, from what I can tell, they are a blessing above any other.

the thinker

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 11:25 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I thought for a good long while about what the meaning of life is. I asked a zillion people, it felt like. (Far too many of them said "42.") And then I realized it. You can't really define the meaning of life. It's different for everyone.

I still can't believe it took me that long to realize that it can't be answered, not in a concrete way.

And congrats on your baby!

Aedes

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 10:42 am
@the thinker,
Thanks all for the kind words.

Didymos Thomas wrote:
I'm not a parent (thank God, I'm too young), but just about every parent I know tells the same story - the birth of their children explains everything. At that moment, the meaning of life is perfectly clear.

I cannot even begin to imagine the joy and burden of responsibility. While I cannot imagine just how great a gift children are, from what I can tell, they are a blessing above any other.
It really is amazing. You realize as you care for this tiny, completely dependent little person, that you would do anything for them. And it pays you back right away -- he's 5 days old and what calms him down the most is looking in our eyes. He just calms down, opens his eyes big and wide, and studies our faces. What more can really be said?

the thinker wrote:
I thought for a good long while about what the meaning of life is. I asked a zillion people, it felt like. (Far too many of them said "42.") And then I realized it. You can't really define the meaning of life. It's different for everyone.
Yup. The meaning of life is the feeling you have inside about the thing you care most about.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » I've discovered the meaning of life...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:29:35