Proof that Thought Affects the Physical World

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Proof that Thought Affects the Physical World

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 08:19 am
The Power of Thought: A Consciousness Experiment

I've discovered an amazing experiment that proves the power of thought.

This experiment will give you visual proof that your thoughts affect the physical world. In this experiment, you will control and affect the motion (and speed) of an object.

The Experiment
Take a white sheet of paper about 24 inches square (unlined paper is preferable. Grab a sheet of paper from your printer). Draw a circle as large as this paper will permit and then draw a horizontal line through the center of the circle. Mark the left end of the line "A," and the right end of the line "B." Now draw a vertical line through the circle. Mark the top of the line "C," and the bottom of the line "D." Your drawing should look similar to this:

[CENTER]http://rawfooddietsecrets.com/blog/uploads/Image/consciousness_experiment.jpg
[/CENTER]

Take a lead pencil and attach a string about 8 inches long. At the end of the string, tie a small weight, about the size of a quarter. Now then, for the proof.

Place the paper on a table, and hold the pencil above the paper, so that the pendulum will be just above the center of the paper, where the lines intersect. Now think of the line AB, but do not move; in a few minutes the pendulum will swing back and forth along the line AB. Now think of the line CD; the pendulum will stop swinging back and forth and will begin to swing up and down along line CD.

Now take your thought off the lines entirely and fix it upon the circle. As you think about the circle, move your eyes around the circle. The pendulum will begin moving in a circular motion!

Now then, begin thinking that the pendulum is swinging faster and faster, that you can hardly stop it. The motion will become so fast that you can hardly see it go. Then, begin thinking that the pendulum will not move at all-that something is the matter with it. It will stop! Once you begin thinking that the pendulum will not move, it will slow down, and stop moving entirely.

It's uncanny.

This experiment was first used in the 1920's by Charles Baudouin of the Jean Jacques Rosseau Institute in France to demonstrate the power of thought to his students. I discovered it by reading a book written by Charles Haanel. Haanel writes:[INDENT] You may think this is will power. It is nothing of the kind. In fact, if you *will* the pendulum to move, it will not budge; you must think of the result, not upon how it is accomplished.
In his experiments, M. Baudouin found that the higher the intelligence the student possessed, the more rapidly did he secure results. Those students who were more or less deficient in mentality were very slow, and in some cases results were almost negligible.
[/INDENT]A Couple of Tips/Comments:
  • The hardest part about this experiment is finding a small weight to attach to the pencil (using string). I ended up using a tin container (about the size of a quarter) that held dental floss from a hotel.
  • Make sure the string is long enough (about 8 inches). I measured 8 inches before I tied the weight to the string and the string to the pencil.
  • Do not focus on making/forcing the pendulum to move. Focus on the lines. Think about line AB. Move your eyes from point A to point B. Continue doing this until the pendulum moves. You can speed up the movement by moving your eyes faster (and your thoughts), back and forth between points A and B.
  • When switching your thoughts from line AB to line CD, the change in the pendulum's movement is not instantaneous. It takes a small amount of time for the motion to switch. Same when switching from circling motion to no motion at all. This is mirrored in everyday life. Usually, our thoughts do not *instantly* manifest. However, as we continue thinking the same thought over and over, the results appear.
  • Repetition and emotion seem to make things appear faster in the physical world. The more a thought is repeated (and the more emotion is placed behind a particular thought), the faster the results appear. At least, this has been my experience.
Source

Aedes

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 10:16 am
@Dustin phil,
Isn't this kind of like how yours Driver's Ed instructor tells you to look at the center of the road, because if you look at the side of the road you drift that way?

Dustin phil

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 05:47 pm
@Aedes,
Well, it's actually your subconscious mind that's doing the work. You wouldn't want to consciously direct your hand back and forth, but rather visualize, and your hand will automatically begin to move. Although, it's hard to tell that this is happening-it seems as if some strange telekinesis power were moving the object, but I don't think that's the case.

However, it does show how (unconsciously) we can do things by a mere thought. I think of those times when I'm driving, perhaps talking on the phone at the same time, having driven all the way to my destination without even noticing it! Pretty amazing what the subconscious mind can do, not to mention how perfectly it seems to do the work.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 06:38 pm
@Dustin phil,
Quote:
However, it does show how (unconsciously) we can do things by a mere thought. I think of those times when I'm driving, perhaps talking on the phone at the same time, having driven all the way to my destination without even noticing it! Pretty amazing what the subconscious mind can do, not to mention how perfectly it seems to do the work.

I may be taking this off into a tangent, but I'm not so sure we should be so quick to praise the ability of our unconscious mind to perform tasks generally controlled by our conscious mind.

Let's take your example of driving. We assume, because we made it to our destination with apparently no trouble, that our unconscious mind performed the task wonderfully. But how do we know this if we were not conscious of the events? For all we know, we hit a small kid on his bike on the way.

I also have to wonder about free will. If the action was performed unconsciously, can we say that action was free?

Then again, maybe these concerns are rooted in my suspicion of all mindless action. I've certainly had those experiences driving, where some portion of the trip is made unconsciously. There is no mindfulness in this - so how much room for life is there in that unconsciousness?

saiboimushi

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 04:41 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I wonder ... is moving the pendulum with our mind any stranger--or any different--than moving our hand to grasp the pendulum? If our minds can move our bodies, what prevents them from moving anything else? :confused:

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 05:13 pm
@Dustin phil,
As far as I can tell, a function of our mind is to move the hand, and other parts of the body. But I do not think the mind is connect to the pendulum such that our mind could move the pendulum.

Of course, we would then ask ourselves 'what is the mind?' but that's another topic.

saiboimushi

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 06:21 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Or we could also ask about the nature of the "connection" between body and mind, and why this "connection" does not appear to exist between the mind and other objects.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 07:09 pm
@Dustin phil,
Which requires that we determine what the mind is. If we do not know what the mind is, how can we talk about the way the mind is "connected" to other things.

If we say that the mind is a function of the brain, then we have answered our questions about how the mind influence the body and why the mind does not govern other objects.

saiboimushi

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 09:53 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
How does saying that "that the mind is a function of the brain" answer these questions? And I am not being rhetorical or contrary--I am asking seriously, very seriously.

Alas, I wish there was one answer in the universe--just one--that really did answer a question, any question. But I don't even know what that means--what it means to "answer" a question. The phantasms of forgotten dreams are sometimes more real to me than my own waking experience. Have you felt this way too?

I suppose you are right, though, and we should begin by defining the terms "mind" and "brain." But let me caution you: this is like building a tower to heaven after pushing the same boulder up the same slope over and over again for all eternity. To believe that it is easily done--even to assume that it can be done--directs your thinking into dangerous channels; and you may easily become decieved about your progress.

Yet even while knowing this, how can you or I resist the inner-suggestion that maybe once, maybe this time, we will come to the end of our labor? It's like falling in love for the first time and then losing the one you love--the heartbreak that follows crushes you like nothing else. Yet what happens? You fall in love again ... Wink

No0ne

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 10:48 pm
@Dustin phil,
Also perception also give's more proof that people's thought's effect there physical action's.

Even the act of precieving perception will in some way effect your point of view of thing's and in tern effecting your thought's, which would effect you in atleast one physical way.

An Example.
The middle finger, if i put it up by its self and aim it at someone, that person has a predictable perception that I mean to afend them, even tho to me that action could mean peace. And that action would result in a reaction that would maybe effect me physicaly.
that was just an example using fixed perception of a single action. a fixed perception would be like me flipin the bird to someone, because it normaly has a fixed reaction to my action.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 11:16 pm
@Dustin phil,
Well, if the question is "how does mind affect the body", if we determine that the mind is a function of the brain, that function is how the mind affects the body.

Quote:
Alas, I wish there was one answer in the universe--just one--that really did answer a question, any question. But I don't even know what that means--what it means to "answer" a question. The phantasms of forgotten dreams are sometimes more real to me than my own waking experience. Have you felt this way too?

Yet you manage to distinguish between dreams and what is real. Sure, we've all felt this way. As far as I can tell, we spend a good portion of our lives asleep. That time is just as important as our waking time.

But I'm not sure how this calls into question issues about answering questions. What it means to answer a question depends on the question. If I ask "what color is the sky" you would not tell me the answer to some math problem.

Quote:
I suppose you are right, though, and we should begin by defining the terms "mind" and "brain." But let me caution you: this is like building a tower to heaven after pushing the same boulder up the same slope over and over again for all eternity. To believe that it is easily done--even to assume that it can be done--directs your thinking into dangerous channels; and you may easily become decieved about your progress.

Why is defining mind and brain so difficult? The brain is a physical organ of the body. The mind represents our thoughts, emotions and memories.

saiboimushi

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 01:59 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:
Why is defining mind and brain so difficult? The brain is a physical organ of the body. The mind represents our thoughts, emotions and memories.

If you are satisfied with that, then we are far, far apart from one another. You are travelling from New York to Paris, where you will enjoy your summer of contentment and peace. And I am just leaving the Continent for the arctic wastes, to chase after my own demons, my own monsters. Judge for yourself who has the better lot.

Yet if this does not mean much to you, then what about love? Imagine, Didymos, the most beautiful girl you've ever seen, for you must still remember her to this very day, or she could not have been all that beautiful. What if, during the time when she was still in your life, you heard rumors that she had a crush on you. Would you not try and see whether the rumors were true? And if no one would confirm them, would you not go to the girl herself and look into her eyes as she spoke to you, to see what was really in those eyes? And if you could tell nothing from her eyes, would you not--despite your ignorance of her true feelings--take a leap of faith and ask her to go out with you?

Yet what if, in your youthful timidity and arrogance, you were content merely with the possibility that she liked you, were enamored only with the reputation that her alleged affection conferred upon you--and so you did not inquire about the rumors, did not look into her eyes, did not ask her out? And what if--amazingly enough--she was the one who spread the rumors in the first place, since she was too modest to tell you herself how much she liked you? If she knew that you heard the rumors and did nothing, would she think that you had any serious feelings for her? And if she possessed any self-respect or self-awareness--if she had any knowledge of her extraordinary beauty--would she think that you were worthy of her?

So I ask you, Didymos: do you love enough to clutch every grain of your existence tightly in your palm forever, or do you take life so lightly that you let it slip through your fingers? Are you content merely to have the appearance of whatever it is you desire? Or do you strive every day to know that you really do have what you want more than anything? If you're not willing to find out whether you really possess the Truth--even if it requires you to amputate every belief that you have ever entertained; even if it requires you to sacrifice your earthly all for science, or to drown yourself in doubt and darkness before ever rising into the light of certainty--then you are unworthy of the Truth. And so am I.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 04:02 am
@Dustin phil,
What's the problem? I'm not sure what you mean by the Truth, or what the Truth has to do with attractive women, but I have even less of a clue what any of the above has to do with defining "mind" and "brain".

saiboimushi

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 10:34 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:
What's the problem? I'm not sure what you mean by the Truth, or what the Truth has to do with attractive women, but I have even less of a clue what any of the above has to do with defining "mind" and "brain".

lol There's no problem. Smile

Say, Didymos, why don't we fulfill all righteousness and have a drink together? It's on me, for surely you must know that alcohol is most conducive to philosophy. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a fool and a sluggard.

No0ne

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 01:05 pm
@saiboimushi,
saiboimushi wrote:
lol There's no problem. Smile

Say, Didymos, why don't we fulfill all righteousness and have a drink together? It's on me, for surely you must know that alcohol is most conducive to philosophy. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a fool and a sluggard.

In the past it has, and even the present...(hope not the far future)

I'm sure you can see in what way's your statment is incorrect, and in which way's it is correct, yet i insure you that people that pride them self's for not doing what other's do, would highly disagree with such a comment.... And most likely find it to be full of ignorance.

Richardgrant

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 01:10 am
@Dustin phil,
Our thoughts are the most powerful force in the world, for they are Mind in motion, Mind and God are the same thing. What I see out there in the material world is a reflection of Mind (God) in motion, we live in a mirror imaged universe. as we awaken from the dream, we will know who we are and be able create our daily lives as one with the God within.
Joey Korne wrote a book on dousing (devining for water and such)using a pendulem and dousing rods, he could change the flow of streams at will, using these devises. Richardgrant

stevied phil

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 03:11 am
@Dustin phil,
I know this is late but...the fact that you must hold the string allows for the unconscious to manipulate the result. Try this...in a calm room, light a candle. Allow the candle to burn high. Focus your thoughts on the flame and try to make it burn toward the Left, then Right, then Flicker. This is a real test and, yes, you can.

stevied phil

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 03:30 am
@stevied phil,
I am new here yet have a lifetime of symbiotic evolution to share...I hope to figure out how the site works soon and to find very little judgement such as "No0ne" posted. Whether alcohol does or does not stimulate for you, dear, it is not yours to judge another's reality. I begin here (for now, the words "Truth" and "Reality" will be synonymous)...

Within all is Oneness, within Oneness All
Without is a being at OUR beck and call
Each step is a Yoga, a lesson to learn
And so may we grow as we yowl and we yearn

Life is pain, it is growth, it is longing and desire
Life is knowing this, wanting this, walking on fire
Each evolution of Spirit we choose
Can only ease closer to absolute truth

And that truth be simply-
Just one truth is sure:
That there is no one truth
Each One's truth is pure

Reality changes as each one perceives
Truth flows between us as rivers 'round reeds
I see your beauty as you must see mine
For each is perfection in the bounty of time

Must sleep now...

stevied phil

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 02:37 am
@saiboimushi,
Mushi...Your treatise is beautiful, well written and very unclear as to meaning. I completely understand why Didy is confused. Isn't the purpose of Philosophy to deliver a message beautifully yet clearly? I believe your point is that the impression on one's brain from something beautiful (or terrible) creates the essence of mind. Yet you say that if we are content merely to have the appearance of whatever it is we desire we are somehow lacking and that we should strive every day to know that we really do have what we want more than anything.

All well said and I have much to say about that we are complete and already have the answer we so dearly seek. Yet you leave us all confused about the question...Simply, the brain vs. the mind.

The brain is a body thing only, just as are the eyes, the fingers, the tongue, the bones within the ear and the olfactory sensors. It sees the absolute beauty and warehouses it. It is a body thing only. It has no emotion or feeling about what comes in. Various storage rooms therein interact through physical impulses, electrical synapses, without regard to HOW beautiful this one is or HOW ugly that may be. Even to the completely unconscious brain stem whose charge is simply to deny death at any cost.

Deep in the brain is housed the Pituitary Gland, The Seat Of The Soul, The Governor. From these impressions of beauty, ugly, pain, hormones are released causing physical reactions. Yet, what causes the pituitary turn us on when we think of a naked woman, make us cry when we think of our deceased Mother or make us tense when we think we are threatened?

Thought is independant of the brain. Thought comes from without (Tielhard De Chardin) and can be controlled consciously, just as easily as any choice (what should I eat tonight). We can choose to feel good or bad. We can choose to be happy or sad. We can choose to be angry or calm.

It is the choice that defines the difference between Brain and Mind. The brain does not chose, the mind does. OK, 'nough for now...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Proof that Thought Affects the Physical World
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:11:27