The Famous 1911 Britannica Now Online!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The Famous 1911 Britannica Now Online!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:00 am
I just wanted to share this.

The world famous 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica is now online. In terms of erudition and scope this encylopedia puts Wiki to shame if you ask me. It has some long and wonderful articles. I have printed out the "Philosophy" article for my own close personal study.

Here is the link to the main page: LoveToKnow 1911

Just type in your search term and click the "Love To Search" button.

And here is the link to the famous "Philosophy" entry. It is long but so interesting and thorough with a bibliography (highly recommended): Philosophy - LoveToKnow 1911 An impressive window on a time long gone.

ltdaleadergt

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 08:51 am
@Pythagorean,
I just found a new home webpage! thx!

Victor Eremita

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 02:35 am
@Pythagorean,
It's amazing that in 1911, Britannica saw fit to include Kierkegaard
Soren Aaby Kierkegaard - LoveToKnow 1911
in their encyclopedia. In 1911, Kierkegaard was still relatively unknown, much less so in England than in Denmark. It wasn't until 1920s Germany did Protestant theologians began to pay a lot of attention to him.

jgweed

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 06:59 am
@Pythagorean,
I am fortunate to own a rather beat-up set (leather with onion skin paper, collated from three sets being sold by my college library as overstock); it is a joy to have and to read. For humanistic studies, it has not been surpassed; look at the list of contributors of major articles.
Thanks for providing the link.

Twirlip

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:11 am
@Victor Eremita,
Thanks for bumping this thread, and thanks to Pythagorean for the OP. (No "Thank You" button after so long a time!)

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The Famous 1911 Britannica Now Online!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 1.5 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 05:58:07