Wisdom and Reason

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Wisdom and Reason

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 06:04 pm
So do you think there's a difference between Reason and Wisdom?

If so, how would define the difference? Which one do you think that phillosophy is most concerned with historically and today? Which one are you most interested in?

Obviously I'm wondering whether phillosophy may have abandonded wisdom for reason (as I feel I often have), but I'm interested in what you all think... Smile

Play Dough

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 08:11 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme;8247 wrote:
If so, how would define the difference? Which one do you think that phillosophy is most concerned with historically and today? Which one are you most interested in?
Obviously I'm wondering whether phillosophy may have abandonded wisdom for reason (as I feel I often have), but I'm interested in what you all think... Smile

'Reason' is having and expressing 'reasonable' cause and effect associations and activities that can be tested by traditional 'rational' means or the mental powers concerned with forming conclusions, judgments, or inferences.
'Wisdom' is an awareness of the laws of the universe regarding what it is that is 'true' or right' and acting accordingly.
Typically 'wisdom' is associated with 'enlightenment' and goes way beyond the scope of mundane physics.
In toto, 'wisdom' is also an awareness and typically coupled with subsequent 'wise' actions (or omissions / knowing when NOT to take action) that reveal knowledge of transcendental 'cause and effect' relationships.

ltdaleadergt

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 09:12 am
@NeitherExtreme,
nicely said paly-dough. almost there. For me in order to be able to say whether there is a difference between wisdom and reason is to first see what is the difference between talent and intelligent! That is does inellegnet come from talent or other way around! Well in case of Wisdom it can be the same, from reason we get wisdom in my opinion as it is via reason that we perform action in 90% of cases therefore the more wiser your reason i guess the more wisdom you gain however one can say wisdom is just intelligence based upon your action and experience in life!

ogden

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 05:21 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
Wisdom is the destination and reason is how you get there;).

NeitherExtreme

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:54 am
@NeitherExtreme,
Thanks for the replies all! So you seem to see reason as a way to wisdom... In my experience "pure" reason leads me to nothing close to wisdom, something closer to insanity would be more accurtate in my experiences.

Though I'm not 100% sure how to live it out, I tend to believe that it's wisdom that helps us know when and how to use reason.

I am no philosophy scholar, but I'm wondering... Historically speaking, did philosophy start out with reason, and through reason learn that wisdom is good, and then continue on to find it? I would have thought that wisdom told the early philosophers to apply their minds to understanding and reason to solve problems.

I would have thought the latter was true, and tend to feel that somewhere along the line reason took over as the base, and that we've been on a collision course with insanity since then... I'd love to hear the opinions of those who know philosophy's history better than I.

raven phil

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 02:20 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
can these not just be different words for the same thing ? or is this too simplistic
sometimes simplicty is the clearest thinker.
much peace

No0ne

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 06:31 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:

#1Q.So do you think there's a difference between Reason and Wisdom?
#1A. Yes there is, mainly to the difference that has been created due to the fack both word's relate to two diffrent concept's

Wisdom can be said to be past done from another or created by one's self from nature and the world around one's self.

Reason can be said to have been allway's present within the founding of logic.

So it would be safe to say that Wisdom within philosophy has been cast into the shadow of logic, where reason hold's more wieght, than when it's presented with wisdom

Depend's on the person using such.

The path to truth can be made, yet what tool will you use to make your way to it?

Logic?
Reason?
Your Or Another's Wisdom?

What could be said to be the best tool to show the truth to another within are existence?

I would rather use truth, for it is it's own proof, it dose not need logic to prove it's true, nor reason, nor wisdom.

(I would go on but :rolleyes:)

No0ne

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 06:40 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:
Thanks for the replies all! So you seem to see reason as a way to wisdom... In my experience "pure" reason leads me to nothing close to wisdom, something closer to insanity would be more accurtate in my experiences.

Though I'm not 100% sure how to live it out, I tend to believe that it's wisdom that helps us know when and how to use reason.

I am no philosophy scholar, but I'm wondering... Historically speaking, did philosophy start out with reason, and through reason learn that wisdom is good, and then continue on to find it? I would have thought that wisdom told the early philosophers to apply their minds to understanding and reason to solve problems.

I would have thought the latter was true, and tend to feel that somewhere along the line reason took over as the base, and that we've been on a collision course with insanity since then... I'd love to hear the opinions of those who know philosophy's history better than I.

Will when it did first take hold, Im sure they didnt call it philosophy, nor did they call them self's philosopher's, hence the start of philosophy was to define thing's for your self, and not have another for you.(Unless your choice was to pick another's over your own, because you've seen it as more true than your own, hence philosophical war's and battle's of wit and intellect also followed)

Back then what els did they have to do, beside's talk to one another, work, eat, sleep, or :eek: each other.

After a few year's of talking the same word's and about the same thing's, at some time you would create your own meaning or answer's or how the world of thought or not work's, ect (Aka Philosophy)

Some just where more true and more wise, ect, and had more intelectualy added intent into the creation of there philosophy(therefore making it a work of art, from the art of nature it's self), and therefore making more likly to out last the deadly effect's of time

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 07:06 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
Wisdom is the culmination of Anecdotal Experience
Reason is the method interpret the experience
Wisdom is what is learned through reason
in other words as Ogden said
Quote:
Wisdom is the destination and reason is how you get there;).

Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 01:56 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:

Obviously I'm wondering whether phillosophy may have abandonded wisdom f Smile

I think that you can't have one or the other. They both have to be there when doing philosophy.

boagie

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 03:22 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:

NeitherExtreme,Smile

Reason is the process of the understanding I do not think it is often confused with wisdom, knowledge maybe, as wisdom is in the use of said knowledge. Knowledge in the knowing, wisdom in the doing.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Wisdom and Reason
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 07:34:11