On Bertrand Russell

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » On Bertrand Russell

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 04:30 am
Theory A on Bertrand Russell's 'The Analysis of Matter.'

Philosophically speaking 'approximately true' is not an adequate concept. In Theory A it's argued that:

'Newton's theory of planetary motion seemed to generate adequate predictions of the motions of the planets for most of the time, but the planet Mercury at perihelion did not conform to the theory that explained all else. If we were to maintain that Newton's theories were 'true' we would need an extra theoretical explanation for the location of Mercury at perihelion. But to assert that Newton's theories were therefore 'false' is overstating the case, not least in that they produced adequate predictions for most planets most of the time. Further, they contained within them much founded knowledge - most basically that there are planets, that there are regularities in their motions and so on.
Einstein improved considerably upon Newton's accuracy of prediction for planetary motion, however, according to Einstein's figures, when approximating the mass of a galaxy we find that it does not contain enough mass, by some considerable degree, to generate sufficient gravity to maintain its structural cohesion. Hence, '9/10ths of the universe is missing.'
Vera Rubin, who discovered the phenomenon, stated: 'Science progresses best when observations force us to alter our preconceptions.'
Nevertheless, to assert that the theory of relativity is wrong is overstating the case because it reconciles a vast number of perceptions of reality in non-contradictory relations and therefore provides understanding of high validity. However, the theory has limited validity insofar as it cannot explain certain other perceptions.'

Thus, in essence, Theory A agrees with Russell - that the laws of physics are approximately true, but refutes truth, denies the validity of the concept and argues instead that formulations of human knowledge can only be variously valid of reality. The entire phrase 'the laws of physics are believed to be at least approximately true' might be rewritten thusly - formulations of knowledge concerning the physical universe are now highly valid of a whole and coherent reality.

Richardgrant

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:08 pm
@iconoclast,
Hi iconoclast, the Walter Russell philosophy gives me all the answers to creation, there are no two things in creation only one - mind which is God, the material world out there is 'mind in motion'. and is in perfect balance at all times. I am an expression of that One Mind, as the wave is in the ocean is an expression of its oneness. Regards Richard

PoPpAScience

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 03:48 am
@Richardgrant,
Hi again Richard.
Got some questions for you. I can get my hands on the book by Walter Russell, called "The secret of light" Do you recommend this one as a good overview of his theories on "Wave Theory"?
Second Question: I seen this in a post and wondered if it is Walter Russell's work or not?

Do not think of "your" self as the body. The body does not come in until number 10. The 10 are from the Tree of Life.
This is the Truth About the Self:
0. All the power that ever was or will be is here now.
1. I am a center of expression for the Primal Will-to-Good which eternally creates and sustains the universe.
2. Through me its unfailing Wisdom takes form in thought and word.
3. Filled with Understanding of its perfect law, I am guided, moment by moment, along the path of liberation.
4. From the exhaustless riches of its Limitless Substance. I draw all things needful, both spiritual and material.
5. I recognize the manifestation of the undeviating Justice in all the circumstances of my life.
6. In all things great and small, I see the Beauty of the divine expression.
7. Living from that Will, supported by its unfailing Wisdom and Understanding, mine is the Victorious Life.
8. I look forward with confidence to the perfect realization of the Eternal Splendor of the Limitless Light.
9. In though and word and deed, I rest my life, from day to day, upon the sure Foundation of Eternal Being.
10.The Kingdom of Spirit is embodied in my flesh.

iconoclast

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 11:34 am
@PoPpAScience,
Dear Richardgrant + Popa, So you assert, and all very poetic, but can you demonstrate it? Is Walter Russell some relative of Bertrand? Iconoclast.

Richardgrant

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 03:00 pm
@iconoclast,
Hi Popasciemce, yes number 10 is not right as I perceive, Russell said that there is nothing ever created, this body of Richard is only an idea of who Richard is, the being ( soul) of Richard is never created. All Russell's books are good, I have just started on 'Atomic Suicide ' which would rank as one of the best. Yesterday we viewed a new invention that is using the Russells philosophy to generate power to the world without input of fuel at all, running on gravity. which proves without doubt the whole teachings of Walter Russell will work, when applied to generating power. I find this very exciting. Regards Richard

PoPpAScience

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 04:31 pm
@Richardgrant,
Richardgrant wrote:
Hi Popasciemce, yes number 10 is not right as I perceive, Russell said that there is nothing ever created, this body of Richard is only an idea of who Richard is, the being ( soul) of Richard is never created. All Russell's books are good, I have just started on 'Atomic Suicide ' which would rank as one of the best. Yesterday we viewed a new invention that is using the Russells philosophy to generate power to the world without input of fuel at all, running on gravity. which proves without doubt the whole teachings of Walter Russell will work, when applied to generating power. I find this very exciting. Regards Richard

So, what you are saying is that the Titled work in the post below, (This is the truth about self), is not from Walter Russell's writings?

Also, about the book "Secret of Light", does it cover his wave theories?

iconoclast

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 05:13 pm
@PoPpAScience,

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » On Bertrand Russell
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:02:49