The Socratic SOCIETY

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The Socratic SOCIETY

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 07:28 am
Ask question, argue respecfully and know what you want to ask, and YOU shall be given the right answer.
This are the simple law that I try to follow in my everyday life. The source of this idea for me was Socrate, the greatest man that had lived on this world, if you ask me. YOU may ask what made him so important? HE WAS a man WHO LIFE by asking, educating and at the same time trying to get educated. HOW good would it be if we could at least for once try to live by his simple principl.

AIM OF THIS thread: Try to imporve our question asking ability and debating skills by asking about general isses.

Method:This issues are either selected randomly by various members, and are left open for discussion for a certain period of time. IT IS important that to give a due date for that issues, and also it is important that we try to finish off one issue than move onto next. THAT IS, try not to raise a new issue, once another issues is under discussion.
If the issue is just wrong and it seem that it is not just going in the right way, than new issues would be update. Please try to keep the due that no more than 4 days.

Conclusion: A better skill in critical thinking~

GOOD LUCK AND keep the ISSUES coming

Aristoddler

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 02:44 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
My first point would be to make an adjustment to the first quote.
I believe it should read "Ask. Question. Debate respectfully, know what you want to ask, and you shall learn the right answer if you listen properly."

This thread could be used to learn better debate skills, that is a great idea. However we do have a number of debates going on right now, so to involve actual debates in this thread would become redundant and confusing in some scenarios.
Just my opinion...good idea though, I hope people jump in on it.

ltdaleadergt

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 03:34 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
Thanks for the adujustment. I hope that I ave place this thread in the right spot. If not feel free to place it where u want Smile

Justin

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:55 am
@ltdaleadergt,
daleader - I think you should purpose a topic for debate. Two sides with a direction and a target with methods. Your idea is a good one and would go into the debate area of the forum. I will work on putting together an organized debate in the Debate forum.

Thanks for bringing this up and if you have any ideas on topics, please let me know.

ltdaleadergt

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 06:53 am
@ltdaleadergt,
Justin, apperciate your reply. I had an idea. A crasy one i guess. Here I go. Why don't we organise a group, like a sort of debating/helping group, where we read for example, The question Concerning Technology by Martin Heidegger, and than begin analysing it?! In this way we can provide some better understanding/interaction for every one?!

Just a suggestion Smile

ltdaleadergt

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 11:50 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
I thought I bring this topic to life since we got more active members. Waiting for replies Smile

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The Socratic SOCIETY
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 08:33:11