A New Earth

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 05:26 pm
I'm wondering if anyone has read A New Earth, by Eckhart Tolle. I find his teachings astonishing and am curious about the thoughts of others. I'm also interested in whether or not his teachings, in your opinion, are compatible with Christianity or not. It's my contention that he believes Jesus was simply an enlightened individual and not the Messiah. If anyone knows more on this matter, let me know!

Aristoddler

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 10:08 am
@ninja pirate,
Is that anything like William Whiston's "A New Theory of Earth"?
I'm not familiar with Tolle, aside from the fact that there are some who have passed him off as a nutjob.

ninja pirate

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 11:24 am
@ninja pirate,
I'm actually not familiar with the book you mentioned. But you say Tolle has been pegged a nut-job? Any ideas as to why? He was apparently enlightened at age 29 and seems to be a pantheist. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe pantheists view God as an emotionless being with no will. They also don't distinguish between good and evil, along the lines of Shakespeare's quote, There is no such thing as good and bad but thinking makes it so (something like that). I suppose I'm answering my own questions here because Christianity teaches about God's will and the battle between good and evil. I was just curious about the opinions of others. But one last question, if God has no will (i.e. if pantheism is true), then how could creation have come into existence?

Katherine phil

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 04:59 pm
@ninja pirate,
I've said this before, but it bears repeating . . . if someone claims to be the Son of God, He either is the Son of God, a liar, or a lunatic. "Enlightened individual" is not an option.

Aristoddler

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 06:33 pm
@ninja pirate,
Tolle got his enlightenment from head trauma, kind of like John Smith did.
He had some strange claims that other people found out of the ordinary after that, but I don't know much else about it.
I think Kat hit in on the head though with her above post.

Where can I find some more info or research material on the book? Is there anything online?
I'm an hour away from a bookstore...and probably further for this book.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 08:20:19