Play "Battleground God"!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Play "Battleground God"!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 06:57 pm
It's an online philosophical game from "The Philosophers' Magazine" which tests your philosophical consistency - it's fun too.

[CENTER]-)Play "Battleground God" Now(-[/CENTER]

You can view the introduction page here first, which states:

"In this activity you'll be asked a series of 17 questions about God and religion. In each case, apart from Question 1, you need to answer True or False. The aim of the activity is not to judge whether these answers are correct or not. Our battleground is that of rational consistency. This means to get across without taking any hits, you'll need to answer in a way which is rationally consistent. What this means is you need to avoid choosing answers which contradict each other. If you answer in a way which is rationally consistent but which has strange or unpalatable implications, you'll be forced to bite a bullet."

Here is a link to the homepage of TPM Online.

--Pythagorean

Aristoddler

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 07:35 pm
@Pythagorean,
[quote]Congratulations!

You have been awarded the TPM service medal! This is our third highest award for outstanding service on the intellectual battleground.
The fact that you progressed through this activity without suffering any direct hits indicates that your beliefs about God are very consistent.

However, you have bitten a number of bullets, which suggests that some of your beliefs will be considered strange, incredible or unpalatable by many people. At the bottom of this page, we have reproduced the analyses of the bitten bullets.

Despite the bullets that you bit, the fact that you did not suffer any hits means that you qualify for our third highest award. Well done![/quote]

When I said I believed in God, I got 3 bitten bullets!
Makes a little sense, but some of the questions are very leading, and unavoidable if you actually believe in god.
I only bit one bullet when I said I didn't believe in God, and 2 when I said I didn't know.
Interesting...at least I know I can be consistent regardless what I decide to debate.

Justin

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 11:37 pm
@Aristoddler,
I tried it as well. Here are my results:

Quote:
Congratulations!

You have been awarded the TPM service medal! This is our third highest award for outstanding service on the intellectual battleground.
The fact that you progressed through this activity without suffering many hits and biting no bullets suggests that whilst there are inconsistencies in your beliefs about God, on the whole they are well thought-out.
The direct hits you suffered occurred because some of your answers implied logical contradictions. At the bottom of this page, we have reproduced the analyses of your direct hits. You would have bitten bullets had you responded in ways that required that you held views that most people would have found strange, incredible or unpalatable. However, this did not occur, and consequently, you qualify for our third highest award. Well done!

Aristoddler

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 03:08 am
@Pythagorean,
Yeah, if you look at my at my avatar in my profile, you'll see my Medal of honour for getting no hits or bites.

I started the questions by saying that I don't know if God exists. I got all 17 questions right..so to speak.

Electra phil

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 06:38 pm
@Aristoddler,
You took 2 direct hits and you have bitten zero bullets.

ouch.

Pythagorean

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 03:56 pm
@Electra phil,
I would like to find more 'programmed' games like this one.

This game's questions are structured in a way that it tests the player's rational consistency.

It is a good exersice for the mind. It can improve your thinking skills.

And it's free to play! I will repost it for newer users:

It's an online philosophical game from "The Philosophers' Magazine" which tests your philosophical consistency - it's fun too.

[CENTER]-)Play "Battleground God" Now(-[/CENTER]

You can view the introduction page here first, which states:

"In this activity you'll be asked a series of 17 questions about God and religion. In each case, apart from Question 1, you need to answer True or False. The aim of the activity is not to judge whether these answers are correct or not. Our battleground is that of rational consistency. This means to get across without taking any hits, you'll need to answer in a way which is rationally consistent. What this means is you need to avoid choosing answers which contradict each other. If you answer in a way which is rationally consistent but which has strange or unpalatable implications, you'll be forced to bite a bullet."

PoPpAScience

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 04:43 pm
@Pythagorean,
Suffered one hit and bit one bullet for second highest award.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Play "Battleground God"!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.1 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:59:16