The 'perplexity' Problem

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The 'perplexity' Problem

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:54 pm
It has come to my attention that perplexity has been causing some problems on this board.

Perplexity has been highly 'negative' and antagonistic to some of the posters.

I do not believe that the other posters, in responding to perplexity's negativism, should be blamed for perplexity's own negativity.

I believe that posters should be natural in responding to perplexity.

If perplexity violates the rules of civility, those against whom he has made the negative violations should not be themselves blamed.

I myself, cannot control each and every word that I type in response to perplexity's flaming behaviour.

That said, I would like to thank Justin for providing such a wonderful board for me to share my thoughts and ideas, and to be able to read and respond to other people's thought and ideas and vice versa.

Thank you all for your interest:)

Sincerely,
--The Pythagorean

cut2thepoint

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 08:17 am
@Pythagorean,
I will be honest, I'm not the most polite person here, but I want to learn and explore diffrent views on many topics.

As I've said before I do not see the reason to trashing someone elses thread by mumbling remarks on diffrent subjects. Why does he do this? without swearing he has f..... many threads, one I started too.

I accept me and pilgrimshost started something of a war with eachother but we can still debate on some sort of level.

I see no reasoning with this man. I came here to explore diffrent issues, not to know when perplexity had a bath or whatever it is he mumbles about.

Perplexity chill out make yourself some tea, or do a handstand on top of big ben wearing a hat saying please someone take notice of me.I hear they want to send old people into iraq loaded with explosives down there pants go and join man.

Justin

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 08:44 am
@Pythagorean,
I have to think about what to say before I respond to this...

Someone offer some sort of resolution to this. Perplexity should be the first. There are people on here who are hesitating to post for fear of what Perplexity is going to say. This poses a problem here when this community is striving towards growth and enrichment.

That being said and this situation has been brought into light, what can I do as an administrator to provide a better environment?

perplexity

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 09:34 am
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
...Someone offer some sort of resolution to this. Perplexity should be the first.

Do they want the truth, or "etiquette" instead?

That is for them to resolve, not for anybody else to worry on their behalf.

If what I have said is not the honest truth, then it is up to them to prove so, not to whinge and whine about their pathetic inadequancy like spoiled kids in need of a mother to mind them and a hole to hide in.

I think it cruel, not kind, to be sympathetic over that.

--- RH.

Justin

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 11:19 am
@perplexity,
perplexity wrote:
Do they want the truth, or "etiquette" instead?

That is for them to resolve, not for anybody else to worry on their behalf.

If what I have said is not the honest truth, then it is up to them to prove so, not to whinge and whine about their pathetic inadequancy like spoiled kids in need of a mother to mind them and a hole to hide in.

I think it cruel, not kind, to be sympathetic over that.

--- RH.

Perplexity, I think people want both. I'm doing my best to be polite and understanding but your responses aren't helping matters.

If you want battle and you wish to carry a sword, this is not the forum to do it on. Take a good look at the Community Guidelines of this forum and embrace them or find another home. You have a lot of good things to contribute but the negativity and antagonizing is something user here don't want to participate in. They've all said and have complained about it.

Again, I refer to the Community Guidelines.

... Too late. I read your post and I've updated it. No need to say anymore.

Electra phil

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 04:03 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
Perplexity, I think people want both. I'm doing my best to be polite and understanding but your responses aren't helping matters.

If you want battle and you wish to carry a sword, this is not the forum to do it on. Take a good look at the Community Guidelines of this forum and embrace them or find another home. You have a lot of good things to contribute but the negativity and antagonizing is something user here don't want to participate in. They've all said and have complained about it.

Again, I refer to the Community Guidelines.

... Too late. I read your post and I've updated it. No need to say anymore.

Thank you. I appreciate this issue being addressed.

pilgrimshost

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 06:50 pm
@Electra phil,
Accepting other peoples views and beliefs, knowing when and what to contribute at the appropriate time, not critizing style or substance of a post, but drawing out the point and focusing on that. And most importantly, debate the question at hand with your own perspective and information, not throwing insults and hostility at the replier instead; it doesnt work. Also where are the moderators? This would help!

May I just add we all do things to antagonise each other here, some worse than others, ''he without sin caste the first stone'', hows that for what would Jesus do? I actully find Perplexity to be a goog bloke, very understanding and I find his remarks more humourous than insulting. After all he was just voicing his point of view, since when has that been wrong? Is this a case of 'ganging up'?

Always out numbered, never out gunned!Smile

Electra phil

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 05:32 am
@pilgrimshost,
pilgrimshost wrote:
Accepting other peoples views and beliefs, knowing when and what to contribute at the appropriate time, not critizing style or substance of a post, but drawing out the point and focusing on that. And most importantly, debate the question at hand with your own perspective and information, not throwing insults and hostility at the replier instead; it doesnt work. Also where are the moderators? This would help!

May I just add we all do things to antagonise each other here, some worse than others, ''he without sin caste the first stone'', hows that for what would Jesus do? I actully find Perplexity to be a goog bloke, very understanding and I find his remarks more humourous than insulting. After all he was just voicing his point of view, since when has that been wrong? Is this a case of 'ganging up'?

Always out numbered, never out gunned!Smile

I woke up this morning as saw I have become a moderator overnight.

Pilgrimshost- there was something happening on this board when I arrived here. A sure sense of growing agitation. I think what has transpired might be simply a democratic vote for the well being of the group.

I think new groups often go through awkward moments when they first begin. People do not know to what degree they are able to interact with eachother. "Societal norms and values" are not established (so to speak). There is a high priority to share, create, grow, become "more intimate", create light...I would think and hope! with the idea of "feeling at home".

Who do we want in our home and who do we not want in our home? We look at the perceived values of a person and in what ways they add to the group, or take away from the group. We assess our own personal intents for this group, we assess others intents and see if they match our own.

This is only my experience with this particular poster--but what good does it add to the group to have a poster who continually illustrates why any particular thread is not worthy of discussion? Or who continually finds the "downside" to things? Do we require a person in this group who views his role as "playing devil's advocate" because he feels he possesses the sword of Manjushri?

If at many turns this poster has evoked an agitated response from other contributors, does the fault lie with the reactee or with the evokee?

If this poster has come to this group stating that he has come here after being banned from other groups, does this speak to his overall character--or does it state that others have much work to do on themselves?

You seem to be saying that you were able to find a certain value in this poster that "we" did not perceive. That this was a "good bloke" that perhaps got a bad rap.

What I can say, is this was not my experience AT ALL. I felt there are people who deliberately find joy in being forum rats or trolls. The discernment about whether to allow them to post or to ban them takes consideration of many variables.

The turning point on my assessment, was reviewing the last group (sciforums.com) in which this poster was banned. Upon reviewing this forum, and the barbaric behavior of the majority of its members--I could not begin to fathom what a person could have done on a group of this particular caliber to get banned. It simply seemed absurd to me.

These were some of the elements that went into my personal 'vote' FOR the vitality of the group. That does not mean I am unwilling to hear you out or change my perspective on this at all.

pilgrimshost

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 07:33 am
@Electra phil,
You have a valid point and your reasoning is just.

Im of the view to give everyone a brake, if their heart is good, on the otherhand a person can be senced to be wrong, and this is where matters change.

I do like perplexity, but obviously for reasons others have not experianced, Ive been in the same situation as everybody else (concerning the down side to him) myself, but Im used to that. In my real life the people I have the most disagreements and savage arguments with are my dearest friends, thats a bond for you-blows to the bone, but no harm done. In my experiance this makes personal relationships deeper if this is done. People may disagree, but what can come between friends if every level of harm has already been done by each other to each other-it forms a brotherhood; companians for this journey through life.

I think you are a speacial person, so gentle, shining and loving, this is why maybe perplexityis a 'danger' to you, I compleatly understand. Your qualities are very rare in this world, and very preasious, you make me feel like a savage caveman, but thats what I am compared to you!

I will continue to support perplexity, I think everybody disearves it from somebody, Im a loyal person.

And the moderator thing, dont worry, it would seem admin has made a mistake as at 4:20 this morning everybody (including perplexity) was made a moderator- my advise is ''dont touch anything''.

Electra phil

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 08:00 am
@pilgrimshost,
pilgrimshost wrote:
You have a valid point and your reasoning is just.

Im of the view to give everyone a brake, if their heart is good, on the otherhand a person can be senced to be wrong, and this is where matters change.

I do like perplexity, but obviously for reasons others have not experianced, Ive been in the same situation as everybody else (concerning the down side to him) myself, but Im used to that. In my real life the people I have the most disagreements and savage arguments with are my dearest friends, thats a bond for you-blows to the bone, but no harm done. In my experiance this makes personal relationships deeper if this is done. People may disagree, but what can come between friends if every level of harm has already been done by each other to each other-it forms a brotherhood; companians for this journey through life.

I think you are a speacial person, so gentle, shining and loving, this is why maybe perplexityis a 'danger' to you, I compleatly understand. Your qualities are very rare in this world, and very preasious, you make me feel like a savage caveman, but thats what I am compared to you!

I will continue to support perplexity, I think everybody disearves it from somebody, Im a loyal person.

And the moderator thing, dont worry, it would seem admin has made a mistake as at 4:20 this morning everybody (including perplexity) was made a moderator- my advise is ''dont touch anything''.

Ohh dear....

who's the barbarian now?

I have a very very very very lol soft heart, but maybe this sometimes gets me mixed up with unsavory people. Maybe I have no sense of boundaries. Perhaps I am very unclear about a lot of things and I should keep my mouth shut. lol :p

Well- we won't go down the yellow brick road of 'self help'

You seem to be a very balanced and kind person. It is appreciated!

Electra

XX

Justin

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 08:13 am
@Pythagorean,
--- ok, first the moderator thing... that was a mistake in the ranking system. It's fixed. It was a rank label and that's it. My fault.

Electra phil

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:47 am
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
--- ok, first the moderator thing... that was a mistake in the ranking system. It's fixed. It was a rank label and that's it. My fault.

Just razzing you Justin. Thanks.

BTW, what was "second"?

Electra

XX

Justin

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 07:20 am
@Pythagorean,
Secondly... Give me a few, I'll think of something.Smile

Aristoddler

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 06:39 pm
@Pythagorean,
I know I'm a little late on this topic, but in all honesty; I think the occassional antagonist is good for debates.
Regardless of the acidity in his tone.
I'm an adult, and entirely capable of controlling my response to a baited comment.

My advice in the future is simple.
Don't feed the trolls.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The 'perplexity' Problem
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:01:07