What Philosophy Means to Me!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What Philosophy Means to Me!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Justin

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 08:13 pm
What is Philosophy to you? Is Philosophy something you just study or is it something you apply to life?

What's your philosophy on philosophy? Do you have to be a Philosopher to discuss Philosophy?

Definition of Philosophy:
  1. the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.
  2. any of the three branches, namely natural philosophy, moral philosophy, and metaphysical philosophy, that are accepted as composing this study.
  3. a system of philosophical doctrine: the philosophy of Spinoza.
  4. the critical study of the basic principles and concepts of a particular branch of knowledge, esp. with a view to improving or reconstituting them: the philosophy of science.
  5. a system of principles for guidance in practical affairs.
  6. a philosophical attitude, as one of composure and calm in the presence of troubles or annoyances.
Dictionary.com

Definition of Philosopher:
  1. a person who offers views or theories on profound questions in ethics, metaphysics, logic, and other related fields.
  2. a person who is deeply versed in philosophy.
  3. a person who establishes the central ideas of some movement, cult, etc.
  4. a person who regulates his or her life, actions, judgments, utterances, etc., by the light of philosophy or reason.
  5. a person who is rationally or sensibly calm, esp. under trying circumstances.
Dictionary.com

This should could be an interesting thread!

Aristoddler

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 08:28 pm
@Justin,
Broadening my mind.
Opening new doors to new thought processes that I might not have come upon by myself.

pilgrimshost

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 08:56 pm
@Aristoddler,
Thank you Justin for starting this thread as it alone helps me and im sure that the development of the thread will also.I want to develop my philosphical understanding to come to a better understanding of life and to form a view of it I can believe in. Because as the old expression goes 'the juries out', which I think may actually put me in a good persison; The begining of true understanding is first to recognise that we truly know nothing.

perplexity

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 04:06 am
@Justin,
It means to be poor and unpopular.

Market forces apply.

--- RH.

Electra phil

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:56 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
What is Philosophy to you? Is Philosophy something you just study or is it something you apply to life?

What's your philosophy on philosophy? Do you have to be a Philosopher to discuss Philosophy?

Definition of Philosophy:
  1. the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.
  2. any of the three branches, namely natural philosophy, moral philosophy, and metaphysical philosophy, that are accepted as composing this study.
  3. a system of philosophical doctrine: the philosophy of Spinoza.
  4. the critical study of the basic principles and concepts of a particular branch of knowledge, esp. with a view to improving or reconstituting them: the philosophy of science.
  5. a system of principles for guidance in practical affairs.
  6. a philosophical attitude, as one of composure and calm in the presence of troubles or annoyances.
Dictionary.com

Definition of Philosopher:
  1. a person who offers views or theories on profound questions in ethics, metaphysics, logic, and other related fields.
  2. a person who is deeply versed in philosophy.
  3. a person who establishes the central ideas of some movement, cult, etc.
  4. a person who regulates his or her life, actions, judgments, utterances, etc., by the light of philosophy or reason.
  5. a person who is rationally or sensibly calm, esp. under trying circumstances.
Dictionary.com

This should could be an interesting thread!

Philosophizing about philosophy, oh boy!

I am interested to understand a lot, but not to possess knowledge. This is my own hang up that I have not fully understood. It comes from an aversion to egoic intellectualism, which I seem to be mentioning frequently (all apologies).

I have practiced Kabbala for a long time with the understanding of a reward of transcendence and an experience of the Ultimate Truth.

At this stage in the game, I have had a direct experience that often seems wordless. On other forums I have generally been quite prolific in my inquiries, wonderments and interactions with people.

Here, in a forum that is considered a "philosophy" forum, I am having reservations because of a judgement I have made on academia.

I am trying to remain open. Walter Russell is *the man* as far as I am concerned. I do not have a desire to understand Plato or Aristotle or others. There is so much "new thought" however, and I do wonder how much of it is really new at all.

Reading Stephen Hawking the other day, he made a comment that phycists have a habit of building upon teachings of the past, rather than coming up with something altogether new.

Is there nothing new under the Sun? What is the purpose? Can the Truth be known? What is mind? What is a soul? How does it all operate? Where is all going? Where did it originate? Is it a hallucination, a dream, a delusion? Did we fall from grace? Are we "little parts of God"? Is there a God? Is the highest form of religion atheism? Is it possible to confirm or authenticate spiritual experience? Can this be done through a filter of scientific investigation?

Well, you get the drift. I guess I DO want to know. My spiritual teachers say this is impossible and follow Taoist axioms such as lay down knowledge and toss away the self. They would roll on the ground laughing to think I am here discussing the nature of reality, existence, etc on a philosophy forum.

Shh, don't tell.

Electra

XX

Ciana

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:48 pm
@Justin,
Quite an interesting thread Justin!

For me philosophy the knowledge to share and respect different ideas or theories on the many subjects life has to offer.

As for a philosopher, no degrees needed or old age, just a dab of intelligence, a very open mind and the capacity to debate other vues and ideas while respecting the person exposing them.

Just my 2 cents :rolleyes:

Justin

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:23 pm
@Electra phil,
Philosophizing about philosophy... Smile This could be a huge thread.
Electra wrote:
I am interested to understand a lot, but not to possess knowledge. This is my own hang up that I have not fully understood. It comes from an aversion to egoic intellectualism, which I seem to be mentioning frequently (all apologies).

Like you, possessing book knowledge and being known for being high intellect, is not my goal in life either. Actually, I don't have time... too busy with stuff like this.Very Happy

Electra wrote:
Here, in a forum that is considered a "philosophy" forum, I am having reservations because of a judgement I have made on academia.

What does it accomplish? (academia)

The below are quotes I've found under Academia:

Quote:
A serious problem in America is the gap between academe and the mass media, which is our culture. Professors of humanities, with all their leftist fantasies, have little direct knowledge of American life and no impact whatever on public policy. - Camille Paglia
Quote:
If poetry is like an orgasm, an academic can be likened to someone who studies the passion-stains on the bedsheets. - Irving Layton
Quote:
There is but one step from the Academy to the Fad. - Samuel Butler
Quote:
I realized early on that the academy and the literary world alike -- and I don't think there really is a distinction between the two -- are always dominated by fools, knaves, charlatans and bureaucrats. And that being the case, any human being, male or female, of whatever status, who has a voice of her or his own, is not going to be liked. - Harold Bloom
The above found academia: Definition and Much More from Answers.com

Each one of the above quotes are focused on the negatives. What does it accomplish? To be intelligent just makes you intelligent... it does not fulfill the desire to know truth.

So in my opinion, academic knowledge and intellect is great and takes a lot of hard work and dedication... however, I don't feel academics is what's important here. There is knowledge and then there's knowledge that can't be found in a book it has to be lived and experienced.

As we do have intellects (most have a tough time with human relations)... and we do want them here, it's the mixing of us all and growing to understand Philosophy starts with Human Relations and the first and worst enemy we have is ourselves. It's not about money or power or knowledge, it's about human relations starting with ourselves and then next is our neighbor. If we grow together, each one balances out the other and together the community will all rise.

Electra wrote:
I am trying to remain open. Walter Russell is *the man* as far as I am concerned. I do not have a desire to understand Plato or Aristotle or others. There is so much "new thought" however, and I do wonder how much of it is really new at all.

Walter Russell is who really made me think and the inspiration behind such a preposterous idea of a forum.

Electra wrote:
Is there nothing new under the Sun? What is the purpose? Can the Truth be known? What is mind? What is a soul? How does it all operate? Where is all going? Where did it originate? Is it a hallucination, a dream, a delusion? Did we fall from grace? Are we "little parts of God"? Is there a God? Is the highest form of religion atheism? Is it possible to confirm or authenticate spiritual experience? Can this be done through a filter of scientific investigation?
Many questions and many more without answers. They've searched the world over and still don't come up with a factual answer that can be verified. So is all the knowledge of the world going to give you that answer? Not a chance! The knowledge that rings truest is the knowledge within you and we all have that in common.

Electra wrote:
Well, you get the drift. I guess I DO want to know. My spiritual teachers say this is impossible and follow Taoist axioms such as lay down knowledge and toss away the self. They would roll on the ground laughing to think I am here discussing the nature of reality, existence, etc on a philosophy forum.

Shh, don't tell.
Aaaaah, don't worry about. We promise not to tell anyone.

I believe Philosophy all starts with how we are going to communicate it to each other. If we can't communicate philosophy, how is anyone ever going to benefit from it. For those what have all the answers but can't communicate them... they go to waste.

All in all, I feel philosophy starts inside of a person with the desire for something that cannot be found in books. It's a part of all of us but understanding what it is can be very difficult.

Ok, here I go again rambling... to Philosophize about philosophy...Smile This could be a very long thread...

One more thing before I push 'Submit Reply', I haven't studied Philosophy myself and am not that interested in it. If I stopped my life right now to study philosophy, I will have accomplished nothing at all in the end. Philosophy is something to experience and live!

Philosophy isn't something one learns, it's more like a flower dwelling inside of us just waiting for fertile ground so it can bloom.

Electra phil

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:47 pm
@Justin,
Dear Justin,

I can't thank you every time you post, but I want to.

So a zillion thank you's to you.

I reserve the right to change my mind, being a woman and all :rolleyes: .

Already I have about Aristotle! I read a thread called 'what is life' here on this forum. The first post was the definition of Metaphysics, which I am embarrassed to admit I did not know! This is very exciting to me! I have been involved with the "New Age Movement" for a long time. But not in the cotton candy, guruistic, crystal wannabe kind of way---

I have made a sincere effort with people who classify themselves as New Agers to make hard inquiries into self with the use of great teachings, sciences and yes, philosophies.

I am like a kid in a candy store. This forum is opening many worlds to me that I never thought possible or even desirable!

Now about your quotes about academia--can I say I snickered behind the scenes at every last one?

But can I also say this originates from a certain kind of belief that I do not make the cut with these folks?

I am here mostly because I believe Walter Russell and his theories on genius. I have done Thelemic work, which teaches 'Knowledge and Conversation with the Holy Guardian Angel' has the potential to actualize the genius to the earth plane.

This is my greatest desire. It is not to be great or remembered, but because it is a sincere belief that it is a spiritual destiny of sorts (for all). That it is to me the highest form of prayer.

Well, we could talk all night, but cannot.

Best regards to you and all--

philosopherqueen

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 07:42 pm
@Justin,
In my opinion, Philosophy is life. I took one class and I fell in love. I have now realized that since I'm majoring in Psychology I should minor in Philosophy too. Philosophy could open my mind to so many things that I need in my field of study. I also believe that you don't have to be a philosopher to study philosophy and speak it. But i do believe that you have to have it in your heart, and if it's in your heart then you are a true philosopher.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What Philosophy Means to Me!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 08:49:06