The sense of a date... spooky.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The sense of a date... spooky.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Ragnell

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 08:19 pm
This is probably an inappropriate topic to post in this specific thread, but I wished to see this topic addressed from a purely 'logical - illogical' mindset and it also vexed me to see the word 'never' on ye olde (molde[y]) logic forume.

Let us say (from the sense that the vast majority of us seem to be male) that we wish to ask out yon purtty young lady that we meet at our workplace, or that we've noticed she be there at Starbucks every Tuesday & Thursday from 2:00-2:45 pm.
Is there any way to go about either of these? Should the method differ? From a logical standpoint (consider John Nash's Game Theory, to those mathematicians amongst us) what would be the perquisites and cons of each approach? Would it be wise and beneficial to ask her out to a specific place or merely in general and wait to go from there?
I would hear from any of you should you wish to reply. May the Lord have mercy on us all who wish to partake of this discussion.

amenotatsujin

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 09:02 pm
@Ragnell,
Well, I'm not too sure about the workplace. If it is approached in the wrong manner it might result in workplace tension, as well as a possible loss of a job. Patience is a virtue; one that unfortunately, I do not have. Hopefully you do; in this case, you may just have to wait. Given enough time, everything will fall into place.

I am 26 years old, but I've had very little dating experience in the United States. I do remember that it is much different than dating in Japan. Americans are much more open with their feelings, but they also tend to hide things from the people most important to them. I have a purpose for all this jabbering. My advise may not be valid in the states.

A specific place may not be the best idea at first. Wait and see what she wants to do.

On another note: Starbucks here is NOTHING like Starbucks in America. ¥490 is too much for bad coffee.

perplexity

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 03:30 am
@Ragnell,
Ragnell wrote:
From a logical standpoint (consider John Nash's Game Theory, to those mathematicians amongst us) what would be the perquisites and cons of each approach? Would it be wise and beneficial to ask her out to a specific place or merely in general and wait to go from there?

I have seen so many threads on various forums with a similar theme of uncertainly about affairs of the heart, simply because this above all else is what is most important to people, personally.

Never mind the origin of the Universe, what to do at Starbucks every Tuesday & Thursday from 2:00-2:45 pm?

".....
to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd.
"

(Hamlet, Act 3 Sc. I.)

This is where the bounds of our nutshell are put to the test:

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(Sc. 5)

I quote from Shakespeare because I know of nothing better to help with. The response to enquiries of the sort always amounts to more or less the same advice: your game, your prize is for you yourself to win, not for me to win for you.

This is because affairs of the heart are very much a test of the mettle, the personal karma, the honesty and confidence, the moral and psychological predispostion, one's chosen purpose in life, each to his own to try and to know.

-- RH.

Ragnell

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 07:54 pm
@Ragnell,
perplexity wrote:

what to do at Starbucks every Tuesday & Thursday from 2:00-2:45 pm?

Chug a Frapp?

Quote:

your game, your prize is for you yourself to win, not for me to win for you.

Hmph. Not bad, but just as a person wishes to consult with the manuel to his car before he decides to try replacing the oil himself (not that I know if they do show how to do so in the manuel, but you get the point, I should hope) it should be wise to consult with aquaintances, right?
And it's not like I'm actually planning to do something as such; I probably wouldn't find myself having much time to wait for replies to this thread (I have amenotatsujin's impatience, I suppose). I just want to read posts based on pure logic as though it wereto be given to a third person. Who knows, we may affect a guest's life by this thread, but more of that later.
Back to the posts.

pilgrimshost

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 08:39 pm
@Ragnell,
Did you say chuck a frap? Is that what they do with girlfriends in Greenland:D

Ragnell

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 07:27 pm
@Ragnell,
Hah... rather.

P.S. I said 'chug a frapp'. If you say 'chucking frapps' than that sounds like sweethearts will get together to throw coffee at the principal's car. Smile

pilgrimshost

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 07:56 pm
@Ragnell,
I realised two days later that I miss quoted you sorry

Ragnell

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:12 pm
@Ragnell,
Quite all right, it gave me a chance to pull out my 'different things to do to a principal's automobile' mindset.

Anyhow, back to topic. Any others who care to join in; add their opinion?

perplexity

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 02:39 am
@Ragnell,
Visitors usually look back only to the last couple of posts, and if those fail to help to make sense of the title of the thread, then they look for something else to make more sense to them.

pilgrimshost

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 10:50 am
@perplexity,
Ok perplexity, you are quite correct and I to would like to keep the threads neat and strictly for desscusion and debate, I have taken steps to making pms take the responsibilty for miner posts.

Ragnell

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 08:03 pm
@Ragnell,
Opinions only people; stick to the topic. Next!

damavava

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 10:53 pm
@Ragnell,
Ragnell wrote:
Opinions only people; stick to the topic. Next!

Well, well Ragnell.....it is very difficult to give you logical advise without knowing the nature of the 2 players (you and a "Yun prrty young lady")
now by the way you describe her, the words you used and the way you wrote it, makes me think that you are way older than her?????are you?
Now, first before making a fool of yourself by rushing unprepared.... you should analyze if it is a viable wish....did you see some signs in her demeanor that she likes you? in her eyes? in her smiles? does she talks to you? now the hierarchy of your workplace are you above her? beside her? below her? and what are the policy of your workplace about dating amongst employees? after you have figure all that out....go to the next step....check what she likes to order, what she reads if she reads...you can do that inconspicuously from your table at Starbucks...and depending of her age group ....inform yourself
on their kind of music...so at least you have something that might ignite her interest in keeping talking with you once you have approach her....the rest Ragnell will all depends
of your mutual attraction....and for that nobody can really help you....because it is so illogical, unreasonable,the reason why one human is attracted to another one....sexual chemistry....is still a mystery...
however try to look your best, clean clothing...shampoo your hair if you have some, and a relaxed attitude and a sincere interest in her (she will sense it) might help you too...
Smile Good Luck!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The sense of a date... spooky.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 07:28:44