Hello

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 02:30 pm
Hello all

I've studied philosophy informally and sporadically since I could read and understand it. My first philosophy book was "The Republic" at the age of 13, I checked it out of my library and held on to it for weeks beyond it's due date. Since than I've read works of many different philosophers. I do tend to identify most with Platonic philosophy, but I do find great pearls of wisdom in almost every philosophy and religion I read about. I have been told my views can be a bit Utopian, but the way I look it is, if we as a society strived for the goal of a Utopia, even if it is unattainable, wouldn't we at least always be improving our state in striving for that goal. In accepting that a Utopia is impossible we only insure that it is, why not leave a little hope and better ourselves in the process.

Anywho, I look forward to participating in some intersting discussions.

mister kitten

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 04:21 pm
@Solarplight,
And we look forward to your participation!
This boat is nothing without its crew. Glad you're aboard, mate.

jgweed

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:17 am
@Solarplight,
"Earth conquered gives the stars" writes a medieval poet. The history of man (or just "history") can be understood as a process of bringing into being a vision of the future, both in an individual and in a social sense. Some visions have been magnificent, others dark and diseased.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

sometime sun

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:39 pm
@jgweed,
I look forward to seeing your jewellery all made of pearls.
Welcome and please stay a while.
When was the last time you had a hair cut?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 04:04:54