Greetings! I'm delighted to join this forum.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Greetings! I'm delighted to join this forum.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 12:10 pm
Hello!

I'm a newcomer to this forum ... and also to discussion groups on the Internet generally. I'm a reporter and I work for a small nonprofit organization in Wisconsin which I helped found 15 years ago.

Here is my main feeling regarding philosophy [and history and virtually everything in life]:

Everything is so fantastically complex, and our understanding is so limited. I know it's a cliche, but I do feel that we're like the six blind people feeling around on the elephant, comparing notes and trying to understand it better.

I look forward to checking out the forums here, and hopefully getting feedback regarding my interests. My website is at:

Wisdom and Delusion

and here is the basic possibility that I'm interested in:

As our industrial civilization grows bigger and more powerful, much good is being done. But perhaps as individuals we are gradually shrinking in important ways. As is often noted, we tend to serve as small cogs in a vast machine. Perhaps we're gradually shrinking, lowering our standards and becoming more deluded.

I'd love to hear from you ... to get feedback from fellow "blind" people. And I look forward to putting in my 2 cents worth here too.

- John Surprised

xris

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 12:40 pm
@John Jordan,
Welcome John, I will look forward to your contributions. xris

mark noble

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 04:44 pm
@xris,
Hi John,

Welcome, sir.

Mark...

jgweed

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:11 am
@John Jordan,
Heidegger often remarked that the modern world is charactised by a forgetfulness of being. It certainly presents many problems to the individual that philosophy can recognise and explore.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

sometime sun

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:36 pm
@jgweed,
I want to be the elephant.
Welcome, hope you stay long enough for us to become familiar.
Is your job fulfilling?
Are you complete looking for dissection or trying to put yourself back together?

John Jordan

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 07:32 am
@sometime sun,
Thank you for the "welcome". So far, this forum seems welcoming and interesting. I'm hoping to get some more spare time so I can check it out further.

I like my work as a reporter and I think it has some value to the community, but as far as being fulfilling ... I'd say I'm hoping it will be a step toward all sorts of things I'm hoping to explore [e.g., how we can improve children's education [more about this on my website]]. I aim to post some things about this soon.

Regarding "looking for dissection", my main interest is in the process of how we "blind" people can compare notes about the "elephant" ... sort of the opposite of dissection ... and improve our understanding and capacity to deal with it.

Leonard

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:57 pm
@John Jordan,
Hello John. Glad to have you here on the forum.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Greetings! I'm delighted to join this forum.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 03:34:17