A brief introduction

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » A brief introduction

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Huxley

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 09:59 am
Hello! I'm a chemistry student in college, and philosophy is my hobby. Other hobbies include cooking, beer sampling, and theatre.

My favorite philosopher of antiquity is Aristotle, while Kant is my favorite of the "Moderns". Though I must admit that I haven't read a whole lot in the 20th century onward.

Hrrmm... yep. That's about it. I look forward to discussing philosophy. My friends could use an ear-break. Wink

sometime sun

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 04:22 pm
@Huxley,
Cant wait
Look forward to exchanging with you.
Welcome and have a great time.
Do you have a hero?

jgweed

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 07:12 am
@Huxley,
Aristotle and Kant are both very important philosophers, and both influence modern philosophy in many ways, so you are not completely at a loss when following the thinking of the later philosophers. While I might understand the connexion between theatre and beer "sampling" with philosophy, I am less sure of cooking, but since everything is involved with philosophy, I suppose there is an existential alliance.
In any case, I am confident that you will find Philforum an excellent place to follow your hobby.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Huxley

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 10:52 am
@jgweed,
sometime sun;168775 wrote:

Do you have a hero?

I do. Too many, probably, and most of them scientific: Louis Pasteur, Willard Gibbs, Marie Curie, Werner Heisenberg, John Dewey, and the aforementioned philosophers that are my favorite. Honestly, I could probably list more as I often make heroes out of historical characters, but that may give a good idea of what it is I value (or at least interact with).

EDIT: Also Darwin. I think I wrote his name ~50 times in "Critique of Judgment"

jgweed;169022 wrote:
Aristotle and Kant are both very important philosophers, and both influence modern philosophy in many ways, so you are not completely at a loss when following the thinking of the later philosophers. While I might understand the connexion between theatre and beer "sampling" with philosophy, I am less sure of cooking, but since everything is involved with philosophy, I suppose there is an existential alliance.
In any case, I am confident that you will find Philforum an excellent place to follow your hobby.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Thanks for the welcome, and the input with respect to Aristotle and Kant!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » A brief introduction
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:47:24