Hi

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 03:45 am
Just joined Smile -

am a philosophy graduate who never understood some of the questions let alone the answers

xris

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 04:01 am
@Im Confused,
I'm Confused;166352 wrote:
Just joined Smile -

am a philosophy graduate who never understood some of the questions let alone the answers
Im sure you do, did.Welcome xris.

Im Confused

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 05:03 am
@xris,
:-) xris - thanks for your kind thoughts

i understood some of the stuff - but boy, wittgenstein and that philosophy of mind malarkey left me nonplussed, to say the least, many a time

xris

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 05:13 am
@Im Confused,
I'm Confused;166365 wrote:
:-) xris - thanks for your kind thoughts

i understood some of the stuff - but boy, wittgenstein and that philosophy of mind malarkey left me nonplussed, to say the least, many a time
I'm sorry but I'm not an educated philosopher, Im one of the great unwashed. In my interest, I do see many strange debates about inconsequential matters and wonder is life that long to ponder on such things? The exercise, I suppose, is good for the brain..I will say the vast majority here are very helpful and never , well nearly ,act in a superior manner.

jeeprs

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 05:21 am
@Im Confused,
well just take solace in the famous saying by the great Socrates: "all I know is that I know nothing". (And if you're a graduate, odds are you know quite a lot more than you're letting on.) Welcome to the forum!

jgweed

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:36 am
@Im Confused,
Philosophy always begins with questions and a dissatisfaction with current accounts. Sometimes as one questions, the question goes away, it then seems silly to have even asked it. but often the question leads to further questions, and the dissatisfaction only becomes stronger. Whether there are ever final answers or not, our understanding of affairs becomes deeper and we can at least reject the false answers, and with the knowledge that final answers are very difficult to find we have grown in wisdom and stature.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

sometime sun

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 04:03 pm
@Im Confused,
I'm Confused;166352 wrote:
Just joined Smile -

So just ask some of your own questions.
Nothing you could ask if you are genuinely interested invested in the answer could be dismissable.
Welcome to the forum, hope your stay is worth while.
What is your favourite book of all time?

Im Confused

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:25 pm
@sometime sun,
thanks for all the replies

my favourite book mmm very difficult

probably 1984 had a big impact on me

but also La Nausee by sartre - the Trial by kafka

recently the Da Vinci code and Shadows of the wind (zafon) -

philosophy wise

(ie non-novels) -

The Republic and the early marx writings - when he was a philosopher more than an economist

Dawkins book on religion i really liked

in truth too many to say Smile

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 11:11:05