Salutations!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

dust1n
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 05:48 pm
I'm dust1n. Frequent member of religiousforums.com and politicalforum.com, so I figured, why not philosophyforum.com as well. Seeing how I'm 21 and haven't read very much philosophy, I don't really know how much I am really contribute to anyone's understanding about any particular subject. That being said, I am looking to be proven wrong about various ideas, or that my methods of coming to any conclusion is unsound. I enjoy reading and discussing various ideas. I am a Journalism Major. Putting my beliefs into the fire should appropriately shape them.. I'm hoping. Um.. I'm not particularly interesting and my contributions will probably be small, as I will probably end up reading more so than typing. Look forward to spending some off time in an ivory tower on new ideals with you.
 
Deckard
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 06:30 pm
@dust1n,
dust1n;165063 wrote:
I'm dust1n. Frequent member of religiousforums.com and politicalforum.com, so I figured, why not philosophyforum.com as well. Seeing how I'm 21 and haven't read very much philosophy, I don't really know how much I am really contribute to anyone's understanding about any particular subject. That being said, I am looking to be proven wrong about various ideas, or that my methods of coming to any conclusion is unsound. I enjoy reading and discussing various ideas. I am a Journalism Major. Putting my beliefs into the fire should appropriately shape them.. I'm hoping. Um.. I'm not particularly interesting and my contributions will probably be small, as I will probably end up reading more so than typing. Look forward to spending some off time in an ivory tower on new ideals with you.

Welcome!
Hey freshman, did you get your elevator pass for the ivory tower? I can sell you one.
Journalism is cool major. Of course it's an ever changing field; some would say it is in crisis. I imagine there are a whole set of classes about online journalism blogging etc. I'm curious how the journalism profs and students talk about online media and what it means to the field of journalism. Are most optimistic about it?
 
Fido
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 08:05 pm
@dust1n,
dust1n;165063 wrote:
I'm dust1n. Frequent member of religiousforums.com and politicalforum.com, so I figured, why not philosophyforum.com as well. Seeing how I'm 21 and haven't read very much philosophy, I don't really know how much I am really contribute to anyone's understanding about any particular subject. That being said, I am looking to be proven wrong about various ideas, or that my methods of coming to any conclusion is unsound. I enjoy reading and discussing various ideas. I am a Journalism Major. Putting my beliefs into the fire should appropriately shape them.. I'm hoping. Um.. I'm not particularly interesting and my contributions will probably be small, as I will probably end up reading more so than typing. Look forward to spending some off time in an ivory tower on new ideals with you.

You ought to throw your beliefs in the fire and leave them there...A dollars worth of know is worth a million dollars of belief...Journalism is a dead end job...This is journalism... This is a journal... But if you want to work at it, write with conviction... The idea that there is some balanced and fair to the truth is false...You say: I am going to learn the truth and tell it... Don't give a liar the last word.. Say: this is what those lying pieces of crud have to say, and here is the truth of the matter... You don't want to offend... Well corporate news does not want to offend because it is eating off some one else's table... It is inevitable that the truth will offend everyone doing injustice, because that sort would rather see their injustice justified than vilified.. So... Welcome.

Oh; and don't run yourself down or sell yourself short... That's my job, and I am not giving it up without a fight... It comes with a retirment plan...
 
dust1n
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 09:00 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;165080 wrote:
Welcome!
Hey freshman, did you get your elevator pass for the ivory tower? I can sell you one.
Journalism is cool major. Of course it's an ever changing field; some would say it is in crisis. I imagine there are a whole set of classes about online journalism blogging etc. I'm curious how the journalism profs and students talk about online media and what it means to the field of journalism. Are most optimistic about it?


Crisis, smisis. There are more fields for jobs than just pure journalism. Perhaps editing, or maybe teaching English overseas. I don't really care. I really enjoy fictional work more so than others.

I don't know about the journalism professors and won't really know until fall. I just have basic classes over the summer.

---------- Post added 05-16-2010 at 10:06 PM ----------

Fido;165105 wrote:
You ought to throw your beliefs in the fire and leave them there...A dollars worth of know is worth a million dollars of belief...Journalism is a dead end job...This is journalism... This is a journal... But if you want to work at it, write with conviction... The idea that there is some balanced and fair to the truth is false...You say: I am going to learn the truth and tell it... Don't give a liar the last word.. Say: this is what those lying pieces of crud have to say, and here is the truth of the matter... You don't want to offend... Well corporate news does not want to offend because it is eating off some one else's table... It is inevitable that the truth will offend everyone doing injustice, because that sort would rather see their injustice justified than vilified.. So... Welcome.

Oh; and don't run yourself down or sell yourself short... That's my job, and I am not giving it up without a fight... It comes with a retirment plan...


I don't believe in ontological truth, and certainly don't plan on asking my professors of it any short of jest or amusement. I also don't really expect to get a job with it. Nor do I really plan to administer any justice. Most papers would not have anything to do with what I say.
 
Emil
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 10:21 pm
@dust1n,
Logic is the best way to begin. If you want, I will send you a textbook in .pdf format.

Lots of people on this board will tell you a bunch of crap. Smart people are rare, knowledgeable people are rare, and logic is rare.

"Crime is common. Logic is rare" -Sherlock Holmes.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 11:00 pm
@Emil,
Emil;165160 wrote:
Logic is the best way to begin. If you want, I will send you a textbook in .pdf format.

Lots of people on this board will tell you a bunch of crap. Smart people are rare, knowledgeable people are rare, and logic is rare.

"Crime is common. Logic is rare" -Sherlock Holmes.


"All excellent things are as difficult as they are rare" Spinoza
 
dust1n
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 11:21 pm
@Emil,
Emil;165160 wrote:
Logic is the best way to begin. If you want, I will send you a textbook in .pdf format.

Lots of people on this board will tell you a bunch of crap. Smart people are rare, knowledgeable people are rare, and logic is rare.

"Crime is common. Logic is rare" -Sherlock Holmes.



I knew someone would say it. Formal Logic scares the **** out me.. but alas, I can't put it offer any farther.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 11:33 pm
@dust1n,
dust1n;165194 wrote:
I knew someone would say it. Formal Logic scares the **** out me.. but alas, I can't put it offer any farther.


First, not all logic is formal logic. Second, not all formal logic is all that formal, particularly if it is a beginning class. So, I would not sweat it if I were you.
 
Fido
 
Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 03:45 am
@dust1n,
dust1n;165120 wrote:


---------- Post added 05-16-2010 at 10:06 PM ----------



I don't believe in ontological truth, and certainly don't plan on asking my professors of it any short of jest or amusement. I also don't really expect to get a job with it. Nor do I really plan to administer any justice. Most papers would not have anything to do with what I say.

I will talk to just about anyone, but I will not waste words on any person who has already sold his soul without the least exchange of money... Good Luck, and try to trust me on this: Luck is all you have on your side, because you have nothing to set you apart from the many thousands just like you who would trade their birthright of freedom for a pot of potatoe soup... Best.

---------- Post added 05-17-2010 at 05:51 AM ----------

dust1n;165194 wrote:
I knew someone would say it. Formal Logic scares the **** out me.. but alas, I can't put it offer any farther.

Logic is near and dear to you compared with morality, and of that I would say that you cannot put it off any further... But; and I again ask your trust; If your morals are flawed, your logic will be flawed so that rather than doing justice, you will justify what you do....
 
Emil
 
Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 11:16 am
@dust1n,
dust1n;165194 wrote:
I knew someone would say it. Formal Logic scares the **** out me.. but alas, I can't put it offer any farther.


If you don't have to have your reasoning tested, maybe you should not study philosophy on any serious plan. Knowing logic and being good with it is essential to being a good thinker.
 
VideCorSpoon
 
Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 11:55 am
@dust1n,
dust1n;165063 wrote:
I'm dust1n. Frequent member of religiousforums.com and politicalforum.com, so I figured, why not philosophyforum.com as well. Seeing how I'm 21 and haven't read very much philosophy, I don't really know how much I am really contribute to anyone's understanding about any particular subject. That being said, I am looking to be proven wrong about various ideas, or that my methods of coming to any conclusion is unsound. I enjoy reading and discussing various ideas. I am a Journalism Major. Putting my beliefs into the fire should appropriately shape them.. I'm hoping. Um.. I'm not particularly interesting and my contributions will probably be small, as I will probably end up reading more so than typing. Look forward to spending some off time in an ivory tower on new ideals with you.


Welcome dust1n! Great to see you have an open mind about philosophy. As you can already see, the forum has a variety of members and viewpoints, so I am sure you will enjoy your time here.
 
Fido
 
Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 12:13 pm
@Emil,
Emil;165354 wrote:
If you don't have to have your reasoning tested, maybe you should not study philosophy on any serious plan. Knowing logic and being good with it is essential to being a good thinker.

Logic is essential to math, and is essential to understanding what is happening in the physical world, and also to the explanation of it...you have to remember that people are logical in any sense necessary to achieve their goals and as much as understanding requires... That means looking for a single physical cause for a single physical event... But, long before people had the language to express their logic, they were logical simply because logic is not divorced from the physical world, and instead is taught by the physical world....What happens is what we expect, and when we understand the why of what happens we can ourselves make it happen...All thought is reason, but the expression of reason, the exposition of reason requires formal logic...
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 12:43 pm
@Fido,
Enjoy and welcome.
What philosophy have you read?
Do you write any of your own?
Ever written your own Scripture?
Enjoy and welcome.
 
dust1n
 
Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 02:16 pm
@Emil,
Emil;165354 wrote:
If you don't have to have your reasoning tested, maybe you should not study philosophy on any serious plan. Knowing logic and being good with it is essential to being a good thinker.


Well, if you are still willing to handover the PDF. I would be more glad to start looking at, but I would really like to finish my current book list, so I can devote to reading all of it.

---------- Post added 05-17-2010 at 03:17 PM ----------

VideCorSpoon;165359 wrote:
Welcome dust1n! Great to see you have an open mind about philosophy. As you can already see, the forum has a variety of members and viewpoints, so I am sure you will enjoy your time here.


Great! Thank you. It already looks like I am going to have some fun. I'm not really sure where to start, and I certainly don't want to rephrase a question that's already been covered if possible.

---------- Post added 05-17-2010 at 03:29 PM ----------

sometime sun;165379 wrote:
Enjoy and welcome.
What philosophy have you read?
Do you write any of your own?
Ever written your own Scripture?
Enjoy and welcome.


I wouldn't say I have read a full (entirely) philosophy book. The majority of my reading has been devoted to fiction or political non-fiction.

I've read many Camus novels, and those speak to me well.. I've decided to finally read The Myth of Sisyphus in it's entirety and started that today. I have plenty of philosophy books but just have not got the chance to dig into them. Without someone to ask questions about things I don't understand, it makes the entire process seem a little hopeless. Granted, I'm not having any difficultly reading Camus, but that Being and Nothingness is just too intimidating (Though I've read 4 out of 5 of Sartre's plays, and enjoyed them.) That and it also seems like philosophy is constantly deconstructing and reflecting on past philosophers, and without the basics, It doesn't seem like I can get a full understanding.

Never wrote any of my own philosophy, and never wrote any scriptures.

Just to give a general idea, here are some my latest reads:

- After the Death of God; dialect by Gianni Vattimo & John D. Caputo

- Consumed: How Markets Corrupt Children, Infantilize Adults, and Swallow Citizens Whole; by Benjamin R. Barber

- The People's History of the United States; by Howard Zinn

- Tao Te Ching

etc.

Some books I have on my list to read soon;

Infinite Jest; by David Foster Wallace

The Qur'an

Profits Over People; by Noam Chomsky

Principia Discordia; by Gary Hill

Also have a lot of started but never finished books, Nietzsche and such.
 
Emil
 
Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 02:31 pm
@dust1n,
dust1n

Sure, just send me a PM with your email. The textbook is not a widely known one, I think. If you want a really good textbook, I've heard that M. Copi's is very good. But it is probably better to learn critical thinking, and then logic. Logic is tougher. It is easier to start with critical thinking. I don't have any ebook about that, sorry.
 
GoshisDead
 
Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 04:04 pm
@Emil,
Vulcans are rare!
 
 

 
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 03/01/2024 at 05:54:15