New Philosophy Major

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » New Philosophy Major

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

DrCamus

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 06:33 am
Well I just got done with my Freshman year of college in which I am double majoring in philosophy and another major, which I am not sure at this point. I have had an interest in philosophy for a couple years now, reading the works of Sartre, Kafka, Nietzsche, Rosseau, Aristotle, Russel, and many others. I would say my favorite interests in philosophy lay in existentialism and political philosophy. I hope to either goto graduate school in philosophy or law school. Any suggestions on how to become a better philosopher, writer, reader, or in general better person? Thanks, Alex.

jgweed

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 07:16 am
@DrCamus,
Welcome to Philforum!
It seems rather obvious to suggest you continue to read widely in the tradition, take at least one course in logic, and practice written expostulation of different positions to improve your ability to think and to communicate.
Philosophy as an intellectual discipline requires that you learn (or relearn) to read, to think, and to write. There are several interesting threads in the threads here that might provide perspectives on all three (or four, if you count being a better person). Your questions are important, and at the same time to answer any of them would be a project that could consume several forums and their communities.
Regards,
John

Emil

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 01:58 pm
@DrCamus,
1. Names.
Russell. Two L's. Two S's. Most people forget the second L.

2. Logic, critical thinking. You should learn it by heart. Smile

kennethamy

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 02:54 pm
@DrCamus,
In 1915 as a part of his Lowell Lectures at Harvard, Beertrand Russell presented his view of Logic as the Essence of Philosophy, which, with some modification, states very well my view, and what I think is Emil's view about philosophy and logic. In all its essentials, the view that logic is the essence of philosophy seems right to me
Here is the essay:

Twentieth-century philosophy: the ... - Google Books

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 03:02 pm
@DrCamus,
Welcome Dr. Camus! First year of a philosophy degree is definitely an accomplishment. I hope you enjoy the forum. Also FYI, there is a Pre-Law social group here on the forum for prospective philosophers turned lawyers if you are interested.

http://www.philosophyforum.com/groups/16-pre-law-group.html

sometime sun

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 05:17 pm
@DrCamus,
Dr.Camus;164890 wrote:
Well I just got done with my Freshman year of college in which I am double majoring in philosophy and another major, which I am not sure at this point. I have had an interest in philosophy for a couple years now, reading the works of Sartre, Kafka, Nietzsche, Rosseau, Aristotle, Russel, and many others. I would say my favorite interests in philosophy lay in existentialism and political philosophy. I hope to either goto graduate school in philosophy or law school. Any suggestions on how to become a better philosopher, writer, reader, or in general better person? Thanks, Alex.

Well you sure know how to make someone interested, please interest me more.
A better philosopher, practice, patience and participation, all of which you may learn here.
A better writer, practice, patience and participation, all of which you may learn here.
A better reader, practice, patience and participation, all of which you may learn here.
A better person practice patience and participation all of which you may learn here.
Here as well as elsewhere of course, but if you were elsewhere then I would not have the pleasure of getting to know you better. My loss.
Please stay for a while.
You are most welcome.

Gnostic

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 07:19 pm
@DrCamus,
Cool, I'm also studying philosophy.

I'd advise against Law school though (unless it is your passion in life). Stick to what you love, everything else is fluff.

Rgds

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » New Philosophy Major
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:39:48