Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Bezo

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 10:58 pm
Hi Guys. I just discovered this forum, and I already know that I will be spending much too much time here.

I am 26, married, and a second-year law student in Arkansas. I am particularly interested in the philosophy of science as well as applying philosophical ideas and ideals to the law/public policy. My philosophical leanings are nihilist in general, but that is such a loaded term that it seems to be almost without meaning. Let us just say, I know in my heart of hearts that there is absolutely no ultimate meaning or purpose to my life or anyone else's, but I still believe in the importance of relative happiness and altruism (on optimistic days at least Smile.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. I look forward to getting to know everyone here and learning lots of useless and interesting stuff.

Cheers

Eric

jgweed

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:52 am
@Bezo,
Be warned that Philforum can be addictive, but perhaps in a good way. One wonders how "nihilism" is reconciled to studying (and eventually practicing) law; but that discussion is for another place.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Fido

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:57 am
@Bezo,
Bezo;164098 wrote:
Hi Guys. I just discovered this forum, and I already know that I will be spending much too much time here.

I am 26, married, and a second-year law student in Arkansas. I am particularly interested in the philosophy of science as well as applying philosophical ideas and ideals to the law/public policy. My philosophical leanings are nihilist in general, but that is such a loaded term that it seems to be almost without meaning. Let us just say, I know in my heart of hearts that there is absolutely no ultimate meaning or purpose to my life or anyone else's, but I still believe in the importance of relative happiness and altruism (on optimistic days at least Smile.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. I look forward to getting to know everyone here and learning lots of useless and interesting stuff.

Cheers

Eric

Law is the greatest failure in the history of mankind... Hope you make a lot of money riding humanity into the toilet... other than that: Welcome, and have fun...

sometime sun

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 06:07 pm
@Fido,
Look forward to your participation, response, sciences and nihilism.
Welcome to the forum.
How do you wish us to change your life if you cant change some of ours?
Look forward to meeting you.
Welcome.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 06:29 am
@Bezo,
Bezo;164098 wrote:
My philosophical leanings are nihilist in general, but that is such a loaded term that it seems to be almost without meaning.

Hi Bezo

This is a bit ironic, don't you think? To be a nihilist is to think that nothing means anything, isn't it? So if being a nihilist means something, then not everything is without meaning, and therefore nihilism is false. Or am I not seeing something here?

Bezo

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 09:25 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;164568 wrote:
Hi Bezo

This is a bit ironic, don't you think? To be a nihilist is to think that nothing means anything, isn't it? So if being a nihilist means something, then not everything is without meaning, and therefore nihilism is false. Or am I not seeing something here?

*correction* Existential nihilist. Smile

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:26:03