Another New User?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Another New User?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 09:29 am
Yep!

Hello everybody, my name is Peter, I'm from the Northeastern US and I'm an undergraduate majoring in History and Anthropology. Throughout my academic career I've been exposed to what I'd consider to be 'a good amount' of different philoso[phers/phies] but my interest typically tends to gravitate towards the 19th century.

I think the reason for my initial interest in the field stems from the fact that I have a hard time leaving questions unanswered; I'd say almost compulsively. Since I really started using my brain it's been set to work, at some times more than others, particularly on quantifying, explaining, and living a 'better' life. I've come to love the study of philosophy because it's offered me methods, answers, and (more often than not) more questions to help me figure this out.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and maybe to learn some new things.

jgweed

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 09:35 am
@peterdactal,
It is an easy intellectual jump from History and anthropology to philosophy, and I suspect that you will teach others as much as you learn from them, as this forum seems to become better as more disciplines share perspectives.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Leviathen249

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:48 am
@jgweed,
Nice to meet ya!
Do you have anyone in particular, from the 19th century, that you like to study/read about?

Fido

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 12:59 pm
@peterdactal,
peterdactal;163438 wrote:
Yep!

Hello everybody, my name is Peter, I'm from the Northeastern US and I'm an undergraduate majoring in History and Anthropology. Throughout my academic career I've been exposed to what I'd consider to be 'a good amount' of different philoso[phers/phies] but my interest typically tends to gravitate towards the 19th century.

I think the reason for my initial interest in the field stems from the fact that I have a hard time leaving questions unanswered; I'd say almost compulsively. Since I really started using my brain it's been set to work, at some times more than others, particularly on quantifying, explaining, and living a 'better' life. I've come to love the study of philosophy because it's offered me methods, answers, and (more often than not) more questions to help me figure this out.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and maybe to learn some new things.

A pound of insight is worth a ton of method; but hopefully the more you know the more insight you will have..

---------- Post added 05-12-2010 at 03:00 PM ----------

jgweed;163442 wrote:
It is an easy intellectual jump from History and anthropology to philosophy, and I suspect that you will teach others as much as you learn from them, as this forum seems to become better as more disciplines share perspectives.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

kind of like a jump from the rain into a mud puddle... Sort of unavoidable...

jack phil

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 01:56 pm
@peterdactal,
Philosoraptor
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_krhztiYiZE1qzma4ho1_500.jpg

Ah, another philosophical dinosaur. Welcome, and don't eat the Nietzsche!

Fido

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 04:12 pm
@jack phil,
jack;163537 wrote:
Philosoraptor
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_krhztiYiZE1qzma4ho1_500.jpg

Ah, another philosophical dinosaur. Welcome, and don't eat the Nietzsche!

Might be a good idea to have Nietzsche pick up the soap too...

sometime sun

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 01:14 pm
@Fido,
Hello Peter looking forward to you teaching me something.
Welcome and hope your stay is a good one and good for us the longer you stay.
What is your favourite book?
What is your favourite era or age?
Again welcome

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Another New User?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 04:26:02