Hold the phone, another introduction thread.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hold the phone, another introduction thread.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 06:23 pm
Howdey-dowdey forum

Obviously posting here has already highlighted my interest in philosophy be it debate and discussion. Thus without further adieu as much information about myself in the shortest possible time! I'm currently an ancient history student in my final year at Bristol University (UK) and found myself straying into the glorious world of ancient philosophy more often than not. Recently I have just completed work on neo-Platonism, ancient thought on ecology and most recently my dissertation on the transition of just war theory from classical thought to Augustine.

On a lighter side of things I am a prolific weightlifter (Olympic), work extensively for Oxfam and trolley-dolly for Tesco's, and cycled London to Rome last summer. Most importantly, I am of course a lover of philosophy, particularly religious, and recently found this forum when looking around for information on arguments between dualism and materialism. After lurking somewhat I decided I liked it so much that I should set up shop; as I often miss stimulating my philosophical side and being able to sate my intellectual urges, and doing so at the click of a button is right up my street.

Cheers in advance for any replies!
p.s Just realised all the English colloquialisms, oh well.
p.p.s love the similar thread application, genius.

qualia

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 06:32 pm
@Eldrad36,
Welcome, Eldrad. Hope you find something here to wet your appetite. Small world. I know Bristol, the university, and some of the local bars! I used to have friends around Cotham, Montpelier, St. Andrews way (that side of town). Great music as well: Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky et al.

Fido

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 06:35 pm
@Eldrad36,
Eldrad36;162586 wrote:
Howdey-dowdey forum

Obviously posting here has already highlighted my interest in philosophy be it debate and discussion. Thus without further adieu as much information about myself in the shortest possible time! I'm currently an ancient history student in my final year at Bristol University (UK) and found myself straying into the glorious world of ancient philosophy more often than not. Recently I have just completed work on neo-Platonism, ancient thought on ecology and most recently my dissertation on the transition of just war theory from classical thought to Augustine.

On a lighter side of things I am a prolific weightlifter (Olympic), work extensively for Oxfam and trolley-dolly for Tesco's, and cycled London to Rome last summer. Most importantly, I am of course a lover of philosophy, particularly religious, and recently found this forum when looking around for information on arguments between dualism and materialism. After lurking somewhat I decided I liked it so much that I should set up shop; as I often miss stimulating my philosophical side and being able to sate my intellectual urges, and doing so at the click of a button is right up my street.

Cheers in advance for any replies!
p.s Just realised all the English colloquialisms, oh well.
p.p.s love the similar thread application, genius.

We share a common ride... Don't let the air out of my tires and I won't let the air out of yours... Best to you... Looking forward to what you have to say... You might be trying to say: Up my alley...

jgweed

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 08:10 am
@Eldrad36,
Welcome to Philforum!
So much of ancient philosophy is bound up with the writers' experiences of the time, that studying its history seems to lead naturally to reading its philosophers.
Regards,
John

Fido

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 09:32 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;162929 wrote:
Welcome to Philforum!
So much of ancient philosophy is bound up with the writers' experiences of the time, that studying its history seems to lead naturally to reading its philosophers.
Regards,
John

That is how I got there...I followed history into philosophy, and since history is a form of philosophy there was no reason to leave...There is a lesson, is there not, that in the follies of men past is a lesson for humanity in any age??? We live and learn, but those who learn and live have the advantage...

---------- Post added 05-11-2010 at 11:35 AM ----------

Hey Elrad... want to buy some books???... As if any student since the dawn of time had enough money for that...

sometime sun

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 10:50 am
@Fido,
Cant wait.
You sound strong,
we need your strength.
Welcome and jump right in.
The waters not that cold.
Again welcome.

Eldrad36

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 06:04 pm
@sometime sun,
Thanks very much for all the responses. I too think that history naturally lends itself to philosophy, and as jgweed said so much of philosophy is related to a philosopher's context it's without saying that the study of history can lend great insight.

[QUOTE]Hey Elrad... want to buy some books???... As if any student since the dawn of time had enough money for that... [/QUOTE]

Thanks Fido, but I am at the end of my studies and I have more books than I know what to do with!

Thanks again for the responses.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hold the phone, another introduction thread.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 09:17:52