My Introduction

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 09:03 pm
Lately, I have not been able to stop thinking about life and the society in which we live. This semester I switched my major from political science to philosophy and haven't looked back. I joined this site to broaden my horizons and share thoughts with those who share my interest in philosophy. Really looking forward to being a part of this community!

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 09:06 pm
@MeetVirginia,
Welcome to the forum! Don't let academic philosophy temper your apparent spirit for philosophy. Anyway, welcome to the forum, and as someone that has a tendency to dive into social philosophy for long periods of time, I look forward to future conversations.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:55 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;160198 wrote:
Welcome to the forum! Don't let academic philosophy temper your apparent spirit for philosophy.

Right. As in the cases of being a swimmer, a chess player, a physicist, or a musician, never hone your skills. It will "temper" your natural enthusiasm. Not that you will not become a better swimmer, chess player, physicist. or musician, But your enthusiasm will dissipate. Except, of course, when learning more, and becoming better at what you do, increases your enthusiasm. As it usually does do.

jgweed

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 07:34 am
@MeetVirginia,
Having a background in political science makes the transition to ethics and other areas of practical philosophy very easy; and from practical to theoretical (metaphysics and epistemology, for example) perhaps somewhat easier that if you were beginning with a blank slate. But philosophy, as it attempts to answer fundamental questions is never far from science, history, and the humanistic disciplines, all of which share some common ground.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

sometime sun

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:53 pm
@jgweed,
We are really looking forward to being part of your community.
Welcome stay as long as you like and then a little longer for those of us who still need you.

Welcome.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 11:58:51