New Member Here!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fayte

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 10:15 pm
Hi everyone, I am a new member of this wonderful community. I have taken one introduction to philosophy class before and am very interested in this topic. I like to think outside the box, doodle on the meaning of life past the materialistic aspect, and live life everyday by analyzing everything that happens and trying to find a deeper meaning to it rather than judging it from the outside.

I have a question for everyone here though. If I mention to you something about a "benchmark society," what is your first impression of that phrase? This may lean more towards the meaning of the words literally more than philosophically. When I mention a benchmark society, does it make sense to say that it means an ideal world, since benchmark literally means a standard that is set up by someone?

Fido

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 10:23 pm
@Fayte,
Don't mean nothing to me...I try to avoid Cant, mostly because it is out of stupid words and stupid ideas that we are ruled... Try to consider, that ideas can be use to help people think, because ideas, like words, and concepts, are bits of knowledge...Unless one is willing to check their ideas against reality for veracity they are simply thinking with some other person's thoughts... So ideas can be used to help thought or to avoid thought, in place of thought... And that is their political significance most of the time...People say words and act on them as though fact when they have not thought them through...

jgweed

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 07:54 am
@Fayte,
Welcome to Philforum!
Benchmarks are a set of criteria by which one measures "progress" or whether certain conditions obtain. It seems clearer to avoid the word and simply call it an ideal, or perfect, society if that is what one means.
I am sure that this topic, if begun in one of the other forums, might elicit a lot of comment from our Members.
Regards,
John

sometime sun

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 07:08 pm
@jgweed,
Bench-mark.
Are we all pagans really?

Welcome and glad to have met you.
Dont waste any more of your time,
join in,
Join us.
Welcome, welcome.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 05:43:53