Hello!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

johannw

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 04:05 pm
My name is Johann. I'm relatively new to philosophy but I'm a sponge for it. I wouldn't go as far as labeling myself as a student of any specific school of thought because, like I said, I'm very new to it all, but I'm excited to learn and hear what other people have to say.

mister kitten

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 06:07 pm
@johannw,
If you're a sponge to philosophy when you come across two philosophies which contradict each other you will explode. That explosion will bring questions.

Welcome to philosophyforum!
, <ole

johannw

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 06:29 pm
@johannw,

Leonard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 09:43 pm
@johannw,
Hello and welcome to the forum. It is often more enjoyable to take in new philosophical ideas than to express old ones. I hope you find something of interest here on the Philosophy Forum.

jgweed

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 06:57 am
@johannw,
Philosophic knowledge and understanding (which can be two separate things) is always improved by increasing the perspectives one can bring upon a problem or by clarifying positions that you may not have considered hitherto.
Keeping an open mind, maintaining a critical attitude, and exploring ideas for new distinctions is perhaps more important than adhering to a particular position about a subject.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

johannw

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 12:39 pm
@johannw,
Hey jgweed and Leonard. Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement! Maybe you guys can give me links to some of your threads or your favorite threads for me to start contributing and reading a little! I'd appreciate that a lot! There's so many topics, it's hard for me to pick one!

Also, favorite books, philosophers and references would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

jgweed

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 12:47 pm
@johannw,
There is an interesting discussion of philosophy books for beginners that might start you off on your journey:

http://www.philosophyforum.com/philosophy-forums/philosophy-101/6102-philosophy-books-beginners.html

You will also find bibliographies in the individual philosopher's forums, and even more scattered here and there in various forums. You might take a look at the Book Review forum as well.

My advice is to scan the thread topics in areas that interest you, and begin with reading one or two of them, then replying (or not) as you see fit.

johannw

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 12:56 pm
@johannw,
What are some of the philosophies and schools of thought that you study and find most interesting? I saw on your profile that you're into Existentialism. Anything specific you'd like to share about that? I've read some Nietzsche (Thus Spoke Zarathustra), but my understanding of it is still very elementary. Curious to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 07:11:46