Artifex

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Artifex

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:34 pm
Hello people!

Well, I decided to join the forum, peek around a bit, perhaps contribute to discussions.

I've always been interesting in thinking and such, recently over the past two years, or more accurately declared since the beginning of high school, I've begun to become more enticed into philosophy, politics, and astronomy. Starting with simple ideas and star gazing, reading Marx's writings and falling pray to his passion throughout The Communist Manifesto. From there learning about Carl Sagan and Richard Dawkins. Eventually coming to the standpoint of where I am currently, reading Aristotle, Nietzsche, and Schopenhauer's works.

I am reading Beyond Good and Evil as a precursor to some of Aristotle's works. And in the process writing several essays on points Nietzsche raises throughout BG&E.

I really am in love with knowledge, it is something that fascinates me, however, as Nietzsche states in his points 24 and 25, I fall pray to suffering for the sake of truth, but who doesn't? There are things that we learn at times that alter our perspectives of the world and our perceived reality that can deal damage to our own philosophies and outlooks.

I find joy in arguing with people, I like pissing people off, and if I can't I enjoy confusing them. I often am silent, due to my own motto, silentium et saipentium. I do not believe in any "God", but rather an omni-potent force through which things exist. I have never defined this "force" nor do I intend to in future years, perhaps once I reach a conclusion I am satisfied with.

I'm into graphic design, painting space art, and theatre, if any of you would like to see some of my work simply ask.

Anyways, as a wrap up, I'm sixteen, agnostic, leftist (communistic political views), argumentative, silent, and artistic.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:15 am
@Artifex,
Artifex;152638 wrote:
Hello people!

Well, I decided to join the forum, peek around a bit, perhaps contribute to discussions.

I really am in love with knowledge, it is something that fascinates me,

I find joy in arguing with people, I like pissing people off, and if I can't I enjoy confusing them.

Anyways, as a wrap up, I'm sixteen, agnostic, leftist (communistic political views), argumentative, silent, and artistic.

[CENTER]:perplexed:
Hello to U too

I liked your introduction, except the fact U like to be abusive. I hope U manage to stay civil because it is not necessary and even un-productive to get people up-set. Or was this your first attempt to confuse US ?

[/CENTER]

jgweed

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 06:03 am
@Artifex,
The more philosophy you read, the greater the number of perspectives you can bring to your own thinking; it may be that one's original position is"damaged," but it may just as correctly be said that it has been surpassed. Philosophy deepens the world and adds layers of meaning where there had been none before.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Artifex

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:11 am
@jgweed,
Pepijn Sweep;152657 wrote:
[CENTER]:perplexed:
Hello to U too

I liked your introduction, except the fact U like to be abusive. I hope U manage to stay civil because it is not necessary and even un-productive to get people up-set. Or was this your first attempt to confuse US ?
[/CENTER]

Let me rephrase that, I enjoy frustrating people. I personally believe that in the end it will bring forth their true feelings or ideas upon the matter. Pushing them to extent to which they feel almost inclined to continue the argument. Back to what you say about it not being necessary or even productive is your own opinion on the matter however, I respect that, but I believe that in some situations it is a given that the opposing side WILL get upset with what I say, how they react is just part of the joy for me. This also makes it productive as it amuses me and the argument/debate is being fueled.

I am not abusive in how I act nor how I treat people, I'm merely more aggressive than what is viewed as common.

jgweed;152712 wrote:
The more philosophy you read, the greater the number of perspectives you can bring to your own thinking; it may be that one's original position is"damaged," but it may just as correctly be said that it has been surpassed. Philosophy deepens the world and adds layers of meaning where there had been none before.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Thanks, John. Hopefully the forum will be able to enlighten me to the things I have yet to read/learn.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 09:02 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;152712 wrote:
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

But doesn't it depend on what you read, not on how much you read? For instance, reading Kahil Gibran shallows the world (if there is such a word) rather than deepens it. I think you should be at least as careful about what you read as about what you eat. As Wittgenstein said, "A main cause of philosophical disease is a one-sided diet". And, of course, it may be that "damage" is really correction, but it cannot be that what is damage. is correction. I suppose you put in those little quote marks for some reason, don't you?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 05:52:02