thinking about thinking ...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » thinking about thinking ...

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 07:06 pm
Hello -
I wanted to introduce myself and say that I am glad to have found these forums. I have been lurking for a little bit and decided to sign up to interact in a few threads.
I am a free-thinking, liberal-minded person. I am a Christian, and a novice in philosophy. Philosophy is certainly one of my favorite things to talk about. I generally enjoy metaphysical philosophy and theological philosophy. I am currently enjoying an interesting book: The Varieties of Scientific Experience by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan, which contains a lot of interesting discussion on the layman level on both of these topics.
My first name is Michael, I am a military pilot, and I am married and have a six-month old boy. Besides philosophy, I enjoy flying, chess and puzzles, and drinking good beer. Glad to meet you all!

onetwopi

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 07:09 pm
@onetwopi,
Welcome aboard! I like the post title. Thinking about thinking is one of my hobbies.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 07:49 pm
@onetwopi,
onetwopi;152077 wrote:
Hello -
I wanted to introduce myself and say that I am glad to have found these forums. I have been lurking for a little bit and decided to sign up to interact in a few threads.
I am a free-thinking, liberal-minded person. I am a Christian, and a novice in philosophy. Philosophy is certainly one of my favorite things to talk about. I generally enjoy metaphysical philosophy and theological philosophy. I am currently enjoying an interesting book: The Varieties of Scientific Experience by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan, which contains a lot of interesting discussion on the layman level on both of these topics.
My first name is Michael, I am a military pilot, and I am married and have a six-month old boy. Besides philosophy, I enjoy flying, chess and puzzles, and drinking good beer. Glad to meet you all!

onetwopi

Thinking about thinking is what St. Thomas Aquinas wrote God spends most of His time doing. There is a little book by Antony Flew called, Thinking about Thinking. It is a book about critical thinking. Something everyone needs to learn.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 09:36 pm
@onetwopi,
Oh yeah, there's no shortage of noise on the forum lately.

HexHammer

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 10:10 pm
@onetwopi,
onetwopi;152077 wrote:
Hello -

onetwopi
Hi pilot, what kind of plane do you fly? :shocked:

jgweed

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 04:31 am
@onetwopi,
Thought reflecting on itself is not only seeing itself in a mirror, but is also a questioning of itself.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

William

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:07 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;152157 wrote:
Oh yeah, there's no shortage of noise on the forum lately.

Yeah, my friend you are right. Eventually they will mute themselves and begin hearing for once. The live in the valleys and love their own echos.

William

---------- Post added 04-15-2010 at 06:42 AM ----------

Hello Mike and welcome to this global ship. It is pleasant in the way you communicate. I am sure what you offer will help us all. Have a nice stay and day.

William

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:21 am
@William,
William;152206 wrote:
Yeah, my friend you are right. Eventually they will mute themselves and begin hearing for once. The live in the valleys and love their own echos.

William

---------- Post added 04-15-2010 at 06:42 AM ----------

What you hear might be what is called "sweet reason" trying to make itself heard above your din.

William

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:09 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152243 wrote:
What you hear might be what is called "sweet reason" trying to make itself heard above your din.

Why is it no surprise to me that you respond this way. Ha! Ken you are so predictable. I have the utmost confidence in you Ken. One day you will hear too. :a-ok:

William

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:37 am
@William,
William;152310 wrote:
Why is it no surprise to me that you respond this way. Ha! Ken you are so predictable. I have the utmost confidence in you Ken. One day you will hear too. :a-ok:

William

Not much of a reply, but maybe it is the best you can do.

onetwopi

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 06:55 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;152163 wrote:
Hi pilot, what kind of plane do you fly? :shocked:

Hello! I fly Cessna 150 and 172, Diamond DA-20, and soon T-6 and T-38.

---------- Post added 04-15-2010 at 05:04 PM ----------

Reconstructo;152080 wrote:
Welcome aboard! I like the post title. Thinking about thinking is one of my hobbies.

Thanks for the welcome - glad to be here! Thinking about thinking might be our most unique characteristic as humans! :shocked:

kennethamy;152118 wrote:
Thinking about thinking is what St. Thomas Aquinas wrote God spends most of His time doing. There is a little book by Antony Flew called, Thinking about Thinking. It is a book about critical thinking. Something everyone needs to learn.

I haven't read it but I will have to check it out!

jgweed;152202 wrote:
Thought reflecting on itself is not only seeing itself in a mirror, but is also a questioning of itself.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Thanks for the welcome! I think it is only when you can question your beliefs and be open to changing what you think that you can truly understand yourself and the world around you. So many people are stuck in a radical train of thought with no basis -- I found this article very interesting on cnn.com the other day.

Cheers!

HexHammer

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:31 pm
@onetwopi,
onetwopi;152541 wrote:
Hello! I fly Cessna 150 and 172, Diamond DA-20, and soon T-6 and T-38.
Ah T-38!, those days of Hot-Shots ..sniff! Surprised

Don't take this wrong, but hope you will become the next Red Baron, heard american pilots having such a nickname, for being really a good pilot. :a-ok:

onetwopi

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 11:55 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;152584 wrote:
Ah T-38!, those days of Hot-Shots ..sniff! Surprised

Don't take this wrong, but hope you will become the next Red Baron, heard american pilots having such a nickname, for being really a good pilot. :a-ok:

Well thank you! How could I take that wrongly? :cool:

HexHammer

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 05:15 am
@onetwopi,
onetwopi;153457 wrote:
Well thank you! How could I take that wrongly? :cool:
:Not-Impressed: just the thing that he was a german, but just that I saw an american pilot TV program on Discovery, and they would call a dude on a carrier "Red Baron".

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » thinking about thinking ...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 04:47:24