Blank Slate

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Nihlic

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 04:41 pm
Hey guys, let me start off by asserting that i'm probably alot younger than many people on the forum, but whats age but a number? (Number's 16 by the way) I'm still trying to find who I am, still trying to understand the purpose in life; i'm convinced philosophy is the best way to go.

• I may be young but I read as much as possible and due to my nocturnal habit end up reading day and night
  • I'm still on a quest for wisdom. Absorbing as much knowledge as possible and living my life will hopefully get there

Unfortunately my school doesn't offer philosophy until senior year, final semester - 276 more days :a-ok:

This may be un-reasonable but if anyone could make any suggestions as to how my philosophical journey (how did you start yours?) It'd be greatly appreciated.

jeeprs

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 05:12 pm
@Nihlic,
As far as books go, these are some that inspired me in the past, and are written for a general audience:

The Story of Philosophy, Will Durant
Sophie's World, Jostein Gaardner
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert M Pirsig

I would also say: have a questioning attitude and healthy skepticism towards authority. Question the status quo and especially the things that everyone takes for granted. Read widely, think for yourself, but also be prepared to accept criticism and to be self-critical.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 05:20 pm
@Nihlic,
Nihlic;150062 wrote:
Hey guys, let me start off by asserting that i'm probably alot younger than many people on the forum, but whats age but a number? (Number's 16 by the way) I'm still trying to find who I am, still trying to understand the purpose in life; i'm convinced philosophy is the best way to go.

• I may be young but I read as much as possible and due to my nocturnal habit end up reading day and night
  • I'm still on a quest for wisdom. Absorbing as much knowledge as possible and living my life will hopefully get there

Unfortunately my school doesn't offer philosophy until senior year, final semester - 276 more days :a-ok:

This may be un-reasonable but if anyone could make any suggestions as to how my philosophical journey (how did you start yours?) It'd be greatly appreciated.

I think for me it was Will Durant's "The Story of Philosophy." I was 18 or 19. (almost 15 years ago)
I still think it's a good book. At about the same time, I also read Russell's History of Philosophy, which I enjoyed then but don't think so much of now, as it strikes me as indulgently biased on certain thinkers. The great thing about this type of book is that it exposes you quickly to many different philosophers, any of which might click with you as worthy of deeper study.

I suggest you look into Kant. Not all of his ideas have aged well, but his general intention is great. How does the mind structure experience? There's also this book by Kojeve on Hegel. I think it's great. Hegel came after Kant and fixed up his loose ends (my opinion.)

If you are more into ethics/value questions, you should check out Beyond Good and Evil, by Nietzsche. He questions the will to truth, and analyzes the prejudices of philosophers. Pretty great stuff. Of course the later philosophers refer to those that precede them, which limits the amount of meaning you can take from them until you have read their predecessors.

Alain de Botton wrote a nice book called The Consolations of Philosophy. Very readable and gives some biography and philosophy at the same time.

If you are brutally ambitious, you might want to tackle this book. I have many times wished that someone could have put it in my hands many years ago. It's not well known though. I finally lucked into about a year ago, if memory serves. THis is not all of the book, but if you like this, you can order a paperback pretty cheap. I did, after reading the crap out of the libraries copy.
Introduction to the reading of Hegel ... - Google Books

mister kitten

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:08 pm
@Nihlic,
I'm the same age as you! Very Happy (since 3 months ago)
I don't remember how exactly the philosophy came to me; I was always skeptical of things when I was younger.
In my philosophy class I've read: The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius, Essays by Gandhi, The Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand, Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, and A Vindication of the Rights of Women by Mary Wollstonecraft (but I didn't really read much of it). Currently reading The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus. About to read Plato's Republic or something Plato-y. I recommend The Myth of Sisyphus and Meditations.
Aside from class, I started The Story of Philosophy mentioned in previous posts, but I haven't finished it. I have a lot of books on my 'to read' list. The forum is the best (that I've found) place for discussion.

And welcome.

jgweed

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 06:50 am
@Nihlic,
I think that you would be surprised that this community contains many high school students, some even younger than yourself. Remember, however, that pure age has little importance in the world of the Intellect or of philosophy.

I think the discussion of introductory books found in the thread linked below may give you some avenues to approach philosophy:
http://www.philosophyforum.com/philosophy-forums/philosophy-101/6102-philosophy-books-beginners.html

Scattered here and there in subforums are also reading lists for either a topic or a philosopher. Having a sound knowledge of the philosophical tradition will provide brave new perspectives upon problems, as well as models for thinking and articulation of profound ideas. The adventure continues as you ask questions and begin to clarify in your own mind, different ideas and solutions, and as you begin yourself to engage in philosophical dialogues with Others.

Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 07:30 am
@Nihlic,
Nihlic;150062 wrote:

Aristotle said that philosophy was not for the young (and, by that, he seems to have meant those under 40) because, he said, you need experience and living to test what you learn in philosophy, and the young do not have that.

That said (and I don't believe it is true, not even about ethics which was the context in which Aristotle said this) I think you should take Jeeprs' suggestions and read something on philosophy, before you read any philosophy. Durant's book is quite good. Sophie's World is, I suppose, better than nothing. The trouble with it is that its covers are too far apart.

As far as reading philosophy goes, you cannot do better than to read Plato's earlier (Socratic) dialogues, like the Apology, the Euthyphro, and the Crito. You can do much worse by reading Kant, which will only bewilder you. Kant is a great philosopher, but he is very difficult and you have to have a lot of background before you can even start to understand him. I would if I were you try to read some elementary logic books, since trying to understand philosophy without knowing some logic is like trying to row a boat without oars. I don't know whether wisdom is the aim of philosophy (I rather doubt it) but the ability to think clearly and accurately is certainly something you can learn from philosophy. At least some philosophy.

Extrain

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 07:36 pm
@Nihlic,
Nihlic;150062 wrote:

I began my own journey almost exactly how Kennethamy suggested it should be begun. So I endorse everything Ken said. The Story of Philosophy, Will Durant, is a great place to start to get a snapshot picture of the general philosophical landscape from Plato to Contemporary philosophy. I wouldn't start diving into any actual works themselves without first putting together what the conceptual map looks like. Philosophical dictionaries are good to have on hand for that. And when you do decide to jump into Descartes, Plato, Locke, etc., it's helpful to have another philosopher's commentary on what that philosopher is actually saying, especially if you're not used to all the Technical Philosophical vocabulary adopted by philosophers. That's how I started myself at 16 before I actually became a Graduate Student in philosophy years later.

A great online source all academics use is The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.

It is rich with everything you will need to know, and everyone uses it. Wikipedia may give you some things you need to know, but the most comprehensive source online is definitely Stanford.

I also strongly urge acquiring a solid foundation in Logic since it is so essential for maintaining clarity and precision when you go about your investigations. Philosophy is a very rigorous discipline, especially in upper academia, and too many on this forum forget that fact, or just want to ignore it altogether. Too often the untrained will say that philosophy doesn't have to be logical in order to "be philosophical," especially when their own views are challenged. But this is not how philosophy is done at all, and that approach ends up making everything confusing to everyone on board.

Clarity, precision, sensibility, patience, logical consistency, and charity to your interlocutor are the virtues upheld by all practicing philosophers.

Good luck, stay passionate, and always question your own views just like we all should be doing.

Cheers.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 06:27:07