Hey

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 04:03 pm
Hey Everyone,

I am here to learn. I am a sophomore in college , a philosophy and religious studies major. I have never really been exposed to a philosophical community and I want to learn what it is like. I hope to sharpen my intellect, to be challenged, to be restored, to learn how to use my intellect as a tool to achieve means, to learn how to be persuaded and to persuade, and to grasp what it means to be a philosopher. Thanks to all with me on this journey of mine.

Deckard

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 10:59 pm
@Blackphilo-relig,
Welcome. Interesting name. Are you black religious and philosophy major or does the "black" denote something other than race?

Blackphilo-relig

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 11:59 pm
@Deckard,
It denotes only my race for now. I could of went the comp name cielo that I normally use but I thought Blackphilo-relig encompassed who I was.

Deckard

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 12:20 am
@Blackphilo-relig,
Blackphilo-relig;149868 wrote:
It denotes only my race for now. I could of went the comp name cielo that I normally use but I thought Blackphilo-relig encompassed who I was.

Just wondering. Quid pro quo, I'm white. Any favorite philosophers? I'm leaning towards the more sociological approach at the moment and I'm still trying to suss out the dividing line between sociology and philosophy. It took me a while to realize that much of what I consider to be philosophy is presently classed under sociology in most university settings. Given your dual major of religion and philosophy, you could either go towards a focus on the more ethical/moral side of philosophy or the more anthropoligical/sociological side of philosophy. I consider this to be a false dichotomy but nevertheless here is a quick word of advice: that is something you will need to sort out. It depends on what school you are going to. For example, is your philosophy department analytical or is it continental friendly. If it's it's continental UNfriendly and your interest in religion is anthropological/sociological you may want to check out the sociology department. If your interest in religion is primarily ethical/moral then this may be less of an issue. However, if your interest in philosophy is based primarily on an interest in logic and what makes a good argument philosophy department is the way to go regardless analytic/continental affiliation.

jgweed

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 07:18 am
@Blackphilo-relig,
I am sure that this community can be helpful in your learning philosophy, and will, if you participate in the threads, allow you to practice and improve your philosophical articulation.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Blackphilo-relig

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 10:05 am
@Deckard,
My favorite philosopher would have to be Soren Kierkegaard. Although I have much to read, I haven't even really begin to read deep into philosophers yet. But for now I am satisfied to say S.K. I actually go to the University of Minnesota -Twin Cities, I have heard that our philosophy department is mostly analytical but I have personally met philosophy professors who seem pretty continental friendly. Yeah I didn't even know there was an anthropoligical/sociological side of philosophy. But thanks for the advice.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:28:57