greetings mortals

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » greetings mortals

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 02:39 pm
I just entered another phase (transition) to a realm of metaphysical understanding. My goal is to entice, participate in and enjoy discussions about the following:
  • ontology
  • metaphysics
  • epistemology
  • phenomenology
  • quantum physics (mechanics): many worlds, decoherance, the cat, all that sort of thing.
Notice that qm is last on my list. I tried to participate in qm conversations on the Physics Forum and it wrought new levels of frustration of the likes I was not familiar with. In that forum, unless you have empirical evidence for what you're asking, you have no business there. I'm curious but I'm not a physicist, nor am I a philosopher but a man can still be curious and should be treated not with condescending ridicule but rather with an open mind and thus, respect. I enjoy thought experiments and contemplative analyses. That sort of thinking cannot be duplicated in a physics lab so that everyone can get the same result--in fact, it seems contradictory to the nature of experimental physics.

Ok, enough said. I'm looking forward to asking a myriad of questions. I think you all for reading my first post.

-Alex.
Laughing

Fido

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:15 pm
@semperlux1,
Metapysical understanding is like everyone else's misunderstanding.... Welcome stanger...Just so you know I trust you, I already counted the silverware...

Forget your ten thousand questions...I will answer one with no guarantee you will get a serious answer...Some people are here for knowledge...I have something less than myriad books for knowledge... I am here for amusements...

jgweed

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 07:39 am
@semperlux1,
While empirical evidence is not always a requirement for philosophical discussion and argumentation, providing lucid and sound demonstrations will always further the conversation, at any level of "philosophical" thinking. This community opens a place for a range of very precise discussions of philosophy and philosophical positions to more general intellectual conversations about a wider range of topics. Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

semperlux1

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 09:41 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;149906 wrote:
While empirical evidence is not always a requirement for philosophical discussion and argumentation, providing lucid and sound demonstrations will always further the conversation

Wonderfully put, John. The main reason that I enjoy philosophical explorations is because I seek to make empirical proofs, if only temporary ones which according to qm they all are. But I seem to enjoy the thought experiment phase. Thank you.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » greetings mortals
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 10:02:40