Greetings to Everyone

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Greetings to Everyone

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 08:44 pm
Hello, everyone. My name is Aisyah and I am a university student. I have been interested in philosophy and politics for several years, my father was very political and I suppose I mostly take after him (if more radical, much to his unending distress). I have been reading political philosophy and history (Edmund Burke, Enoch Powell, Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Thomas Carlyle) since I was ten years old. Since then I have also been trying to read/read about classical thinkers (Cato the Younger, Aristotle, Zeno). Recently I have been trying to study hard in economics. I like best the economists Adam Smith, Antoine Louis Claude Destutt,comte de Tracy and Ludwig von Mises. I read the textbook economics but they do not make sense to me.

If I had to choose words to describe myself I am thinking that 'unorthodox buddhist', 'liberal anarchist' and 'extreme rightist' would probably apply to me. But these words do not mean the same to everyone.

Happy to be here Smile

Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:15 pm
@TranscendHumanit,
Welcome to the forum!

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:42 am
@TranscendHumanit,
TranscendHumanit;149042 wrote:
Hello, everyone. My name is Aisyah and I am a university student. I have been interested in philosophy and politics for several years, my father was very political and I suppose I mostly take after him (if more radical, much to his unending distress). I have been reading political philosophy and history (Edmund Burke, Enoch Powell, Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Thomas Carlyle) since I was ten years old. Since then I have also been trying to read/read about classical thinkers (Cato the Younger, Aristotle, Zeno). Recently I have been trying to study hard in economics. I like best the economists Adam Smith, Antoine Louis Claude Destutt,comte de Tracy and Ludwig von Mises. I read the textbook economics but they do not make sense to me.

If I had to choose words to describe myself I am thinking that 'unorthodox buddhist', 'liberal anarchist' and 'extreme rightist' would probably apply to me. But these words do not mean the same to everyone.

Happy to be here Smile

Happy to be reading your introduction. I am not so much an activist (hahah). Can advize U Dutch social-economic (Nobelprize I think). It is professor Tinbergen, beginning 20th century. Have not read myself. Was pre-occuoired with monetary economics. He is a global economist...

Let me now how it is. Else Schumpeter is nice.

Pepijn Sweep
Magister OX:whistling:

jgweed

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 08:51 am
@TranscendHumanit,
It seems, from the authors you mentioned, that you are interested in the philosophical aspect of both history and economics, so you should feel quite at home here.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

TranscendHumanit

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:15 am
@TranscendHumanit,
Quote:
Else Schumpeter is nice.

I have read Joseph Schumpeter. I like his early works the best.
Schumpeter - Methodological Individualism
That one is especially good. I also like his Imperialism and Social Classes, though I do not agree with all his views. Wilhelm Ropke is also quite good.

Masquerade

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:21 am
@TranscendHumanit,
Welcome to the forum.

polpol

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 11:50 am
@TranscendHumanit,
Welcome TranscendHumanit! I have an excellent souvenir of Singapura, that's where I met the nicest people, the most generous so much so that I came to realise how we have become paranoid in the West. It took me some time to get used to so much grace and pure altruism and I made the people laugh a lot when instead of just being grateful, I would take a suspicious attitude, making a complete fool of myself! Welcome again to the forum!

TranscendHumanit

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 12:04 pm
@TranscendHumanit,
Quote:
It took me some time to get used to so much grace and pure altruism

I do not think it is altruism. Here we are used to being safe, and that allows us to be friendly and comfortable with others. I love to meet people from the United States and Canada.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 02:56 pm
@TranscendHumanit,
TranscendHumanit;149276 wrote:
I do not think it is altruism. Here we are used to being safe, and that allows us to be friendly and comfortable with others. I love to meet people from the United States and Canada.

Where is Singapura ? Has it something special for the inhabitants ?

TranscendHumanit

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:02 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;149315 wrote:
Where is Singapura ? Has it something special for the inhabitants ?

Southeast asia. Off the coast of Malaysia.

It is beautiful country with beautiful people, we have safe, clean streets and good prosperity Smile

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:07 pm
@TranscendHumanit,
I had a friend in Singapore as we call it. He enjoyed it very much.

TranscendHumanit

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:15 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;149323 wrote:
I had a friend in Singapore as we call it. He enjoyed it very much.

Yes, very close. That is what British people call it. Singapore used to be Crown Colony of England.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 04:28 pm
@TranscendHumanit,
TranscendHumanit;149327 wrote:
Yes, very close. That is what British people call it. Singapore used to be Crown Colony of England.

What is status of Crown colony ? What is different with dominion ?

When did Singapura became Independent ?

Are U democrats ?

Tell me U;R view, please

Pepijn Sweep
ud Jisp

TranscendHumanit

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 05:46 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Quote:
What is status of Crown colony?

Crown Colony mean it has governer from King/Queen of England. England get Malaysia in Straits Settlement.

Quote:
When did Singapura became Independent ?

It start after World War 2, and then England give it independence, then it join with Malaysia but that did not last long. One way or another it has been mostly independent since 1959.

Quote:
Are U democrats ?

Officially, it is a semi-democratic government. Thankfully it is not really democracy. People's Action Party rules, mostly, with some coalitions. Mostly Singapura like world's largest, best managed apartment complex Razz

I like market based systems with private property for everything. Singapura does not have this, but it is better than most places.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 02:36 am
@TranscendHumanit,
TranscendHumanit;149429 wrote:
Crown Colony mean it has governer from King/Queen of England. England get Malaysia in Straits Settlement.

It start after World War 2, and then England give it independence, then it join with Malaysia but that did not last long. One way or another it has been mostly independent since 1959.

Officially, it is a semi-democratic government. Thankfully it is not really democracy. People's Action Party rules, mostly, with some coalitions. Mostly Singapura like world's largest, best managed apartment complex Razz

I like market based systems with private property for everything. Singapura does not have this, but it is better than most places.

Then our countries were Neighbours for a while... Or not. When was independence of Indonesia ? De Jure since 1956 I believe. De Facto it was earlier.

Does England still hav' Naval Base ? Or in Singapura's Harbour strictly commercial ?

I al a leftish-liberal. Believe not in big scale capitalism. Makes peoples like drones. Love artisan work, paintings and esp statues. Have a few small copies. Made pottery myself, but years ago.

Pepijn S.
Magister OXY:whistling:

polpol

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 08:05 am
@TranscendHumanit,
The food is great, and the flowers, it's like paradise, there is beauty everywhere. I remember there were all kinds of temples, churches, it seemed at every street some ritual was going on, and the smell of insence. At first I got the impression it was a huge shopping mall and it is a good place to shop but there is so much more, it is like a microcosme of the whole wide world. I have such a good souvenir especially the people, I met lots of nice people in different countries but there I didn't meet anyone person that wasn't nice...maybe I was lucky but there is something very special about Singapour.

TranscendHumanit

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:20 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;149513 wrote:
Then our countries were Neighbours for a while... Or not. When was independence of Indonesia ? De Jure since 1956 I believe. De Facto it was earlier.

Does England still hav' Naval Base ? Or in Singapura's Harbour strictly commercial ?

I al a leftish-liberal. Believe not in big scale capitalism. Makes peoples like drones. Love artisan work, paintings and esp statues. Have a few small copies. Made pottery myself, but years ago.

Pepijn S.
Magister OXY:whistling:

Not even Singapura have really army installations. Singapura military train in Taiwan, no room here for anything but business.

People make themselves drones. Market can not be blamed because people have poor taste. Market give people opportunity to exercise own judgment, it is their fault if it is bad.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Greetings to Everyone
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 07:37:22