Hello

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 04:30 am
I guess I should say a little bit about myself. I've been reading philosophy for about fifteen years and I still feel that I don't understand half of it. My heroes of philosophy are Heraclitus, Aristotle, and Heidegger. Outside of philosophy, I am very interested in cultural anthropology and moderately interested in economics. I have just started my first philosophy course, and I'm sorry to say that I hate it. Which is why I'm here. I don't want my education to ruin something that I have loved for almost half of my life. So I'm hoping that by participating in these forums, my love for philosophy won't go cold.

Fido

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 05:02 am
@Mister Carcer,
Mister Carcer;148754 wrote:
I guess I should say a little bit about myself. I've been reading philosophy for about fifteen years and I still feel that I don't understand half of it. My heroes of philosophy are Heraclitus, Aristotle, and Heidegger. Outside of philosophy, I am very interested in cultural anthropology and moderately interested in economics. I have just started my first philosophy course, and I'm sorry to say that I hate it. Which is why I'm here. I don't want my education to ruin something that I have loved for almost half of my life. So I'm hoping that by participating in these forums, my love for philosophy won't go cold.

I know how to understand everthing, and I will help you by giving you my simple perspective...

jgweed

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 09:04 am
@Mister Carcer,
Philosophy courses, at any level, tend towards draining the subject of adventurous excitement, but they also provide an understanding of the tradition and the immense heritage and inheritance that is its history. They also, by forcing the confrontation with other perspectives and other ways of articulation of positions, increase the ability to think in a philosophical manner by filling the philosophical tool box.
And if philosophy thrives on critical analysis, then participating in rigorous dialogues with other perspectives and other ways of philosophizing, both serves to widen one's own thinking and to help clarify one's one positions. At various levels of sophistication, this is what happens daily here.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 10:41:02