Hello!!!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

hradska

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 01:36 am
Hi,
I have accidentally found this forum a few months ago and finally got around to register.
I am a female homo saphiens and currently live in northen Europe.
I am interested in everything that stimulates the thinking process and in general I stay away from strong opinions, because I believe that the moment I make a strong opinion about something, I am bound to be wrong. I like to keep my doors open.
Well, aside of that I love birds, lucid dreaming and procrastinating...

Hello to everyone! Smile

Hradska

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 02:35 am
@hradska,
The Spanish call Dutch Scandinavians. I call it NW Europe. Hallo ! Wil kom.n

I Yoke :bigsmile:

Pepijn Sweep,
Magister iOX

Amsterdam

raidon04

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 03:09 am
@hradska,
Welcome Hradska, I hope you find the sufficient intellectual awe that Philosophy can provide whilst using the boards. A pleasant welcome to you

Fido

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 04:28 am
@hradska,
hradska;148739 wrote:
Hi,
I have accidentally found this forum a few months ago and finally got around to register.
I am a female homo saphiens and currently live in northen Europe.
I am interested in everything that stimulates the thinking process and in general I stay away from strong opinions, because I believe that the moment I make a strong opinion about something, I am bound to be wrong. I like to keep my doors open.
Well, aside of that I love birds, lucid dreaming and procrastinating...

Hello to everyone! Smile

Hradska

I used to say that when I was younger: I am looking for a female homosapien; but as a heterectual male, what else could I do??? Welcome... And if you feel strongly, express yourself... We are all wrong... The truth is a moving target and the object is to get close because you can only hit it by accident...

hradska

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 04:46 am
@Fido,
Fido;148753 wrote:
... The truth is a moving target and the object is to get close because you can only hit it by accident...

I like that! Smile After all most scientific break throughs were based on accidents! Smile

Fido

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 05:40 am
@hradska,
hradska;148756 wrote:
I like that! Smile After all most scientific break throughs were based on accidents! Smile

I would have to disagree with that...In fact, progress has seemed to be in fits and starts, but has been constant, because discoveries have improved upon our senses, and our improved senses have allowed a greater understanding...

I see from the News Hour last night, that America is losing its edge in computers and computer technology... It is inevitable given the export of capital, but is accelerated by the fact that education is denied to people from this country... The people who might feed future innovation are those with a great deal of drive and ambition from places like China and India, and they are welcome at our universities, but the price of a person from America getting an education is often the shared indebtedness of his or her whole family... We are starved of education at lower levels, and empoverished for education at higher levels and in part it is because so long as the employers think they can import foreign engineers to do what uneducated Americans cannot do they will not feed the universities or give anyone a hand getting an education... It is a good course to follow if you want to destroy yourself as a world power, but to maximize profit -that is what is done, so that education and capital are both exported, and we will be left without options or defense....To have high profits this land is being transformed into part of the third world...

hradska

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 07:18 am
@Fido,
Fido;148764 wrote:
I would have to disagree with that...In fact, progress has seemed to be in fits and starts, but has been constant, because discoveries have improved upon our senses, and our improved senses have allowed a greater understanding...

I see from the News Hour last night, that America is losing its edge in computers and computer technology... It is inevitable given the export of capital, but is accelerated by the fact that education is denied to people from this country... The people who might feed future innovation are those with a great deal of drive and ambition from places like China and India, and they are welcome at our universities, but the price of a person from America getting an education is often the shared indebtedness of his or her whole family... We are starved of education at lower levels, and empoverished for education at higher levels and in part it is because so long as the employers think they can import foreign engineers to do what uneducated Americans cannot do they will not feed the universities or give anyone a hand getting an education... It is a good course to follow if you want to destroy yourself as a world power, but to maximize profit -that is what is done, so that education and capital are both exported, and we will be left without options or defense....To have high profits this land is being transformed into part of the third world...

Yes, I totally agree. I think I have not expressed myself properly.
Dont get me wrong, I never said anything against education and progress thanks to it. We do learn a LOT in our schools, we learn to think, we learn to discover things, we totally depend on education when it comes to future progress of the country and its citizens.
Yet often we are stuck in what we are taught in schools and what we consider as facts. In a way, education sets the frame of our thinking and it is often impossible to step outside of it and come up with something bran new. Of course, there are a few who can, I am not denying it. Smile But most of us try to invent something using the knowledge of other people. We are often only putting the known facts together.
(The Chinese do learn really fast, thats true, but are they actually inventing things, considering their huge population?)

However, what I was if fact referring to, were all those accidental break throughs people made while trying to discover something else. For example X-ray, gravitation, post-it notes, Smart dust, Penicillin etc. etc.
These were break throughs that we base, once again, our current knowledge on. The accidents thanks to which humanity developed further.

ANyhooo! Smile I am glad my "introducing myself" has already led to getting me to think! Thank you Fido! Smile

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 02:41:22