Greeting, Fellow Ponderers!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Greeting, Fellow Ponderers!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Omeo

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 01:11 am
Hey, everybody!

I'm an English teacher in South Korea. It's only relatively recently that I've really begun my philosophical exploration in earnest. I'm still learning the basics. I've read Robert Pirsig's book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and, perhaps equally importantly, the guidebook to that book which explains the different philosophies involved in ZAMM. I studied Philosophy in college for maybe a year before I decided it wasn't practical enough. I took a course in Logic & Critical Thinking and another course in Eastern Philosophy. I believe I've read The Republic, but I'm sure I don't remember much of it, apart from the theory of Forms. I'm also taking a couple of university philosophy courses via iTunes U.

I'm fascinated by the future and the technology we'll be seeing in the years to comeand how it will effect us, but I'm concerned that humans are evolving technologically faster than we're evolving spiritually. All the technology we're developing is at least as likely to be used to hurt us as it is to help us. I'm also interested in death from a philosophical and cultural perspective. I'm interested in people's attitudes and beliefs about death and the practices surrounding it. I'm also interested in Quantum Physics and it's effect on philosophy and the future.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 01:36 am
@Omeo,
:shifty:
Omeo;148737 wrote:
Hey, everybody!

I'm an English teacher in South Korea. It's only relatively recently that I've really begun my philosophical exploration in earnest. I'm still learning the basics. I've read Robert Pirsig's book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and, perhaps equally importantly, the guidebook to that book which explains the different philosophies involved in ZAMM. I studied Philosophy in college for maybe a year before I decided it wasn't practical enough. I took a course in Logic & Critical Thinking and another course in Eastern Philosophy. I believe I've read The Republic, but I'm sure I don't remember much of it, apart from the theory of Forms. I'm also taking a couple of university philosophy courses via iTunes U.

I'm fascinated by the future and the technology we'll be seeing in the years to comeand how it will effect us, but I'm concerned that humans are evolving technologically faster than we're evolving spiritually. All the technology we're developing is at least as likely to be used to hurt us as it is to help us. I'm also interested in death from a philosophical and cultural perspective. I'm interested in people's attitudes and beliefs about death and the practices surrounding it. I'm also interested in Quantum Physics and it's effect on philosophy and the future.

Nice to C U on Forum. I am very interested in Nippon. Might contact U with questions only a Japanese would know how to answer.

Hop U Like Forum; we wrok hard.
Typo's & miising words.

Pepijn Sweep,
Magister OX & YO
O
|
Y

jgweed

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 09:13 am
@Omeo,
It seems important that philosophy attempts to provide theoretical frameworks that encompass the changes to the world that technology and especially advances in biological science are causing. Without this, the ever increasing knowledge in the modern world will become fragmented into specialties; this compartmentalisation may well leave the intellect both unprotected and thus vulnerable.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Greeting, Fellow Ponderers!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 02:34:33