Greetings from Northern California

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Greetings from Northern California

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 04:20 pm
My name is L. Robuis, I have been curious about this site for some time and have just now found the time to join. What a remarkable cast of characters here, some absolute geniuses...blended with some, uh...

I'm going to study the forums carefully before I leap in and make an a-- of myself pontificating. I didn't come here to 'become someone'; rather, I am hoping to once again take philosophy out of the stodgy classrooms and send it back into the streets, where it belongs; as such, I'm hoping to attract a group of like-minded people who together can bring this essential tool for living to where it is most needed: the young, and the drifting.

I am presently studying under Tad Baker, of the Institute of Absurdity, perhaps the leading experimental theater director/pataphysician alive today. His Institute, if you'll recall, performed the San Francisco Farting Contests, Pindaro's Belly Pageants, Even the Score/Uncle Tad Baker's Loon Show (the audience-participation events which Jerry Springer later copied and made famous), along with The Execution of Abe Goldstein, a Depraved Homosexual, a show which got the I of A banned from SF. He's a recluse now and I am lucky to be able to study under him.

At any rate, I'm overjoyed to begin dialogues and rants with some of the world's few remaining philosophers.

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 04:28 pm
@L Robuis,
Welcome to the forum! I have been in the process of working towards bringing philosophy to the streets, as you say, but the entire system in place within the dominating class of society has kind of rendered me overly cynical to the whole endeavor. A massive upheaval of the status quo will be required before a large enough portion of people are willing to adopt a life philosophy to make the project worthwhile.

Anyway, enough of my cynical ramblings. Once again, welcome to the forum. We are glad to have you join us, and I hope you enjoy your stay.

jgweed

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 07:53 am
@L Robuis,
Welcome to Philforum, which in a way, serves the purpose of bringing philosophy into the streets, or at least providing a space where everyone can "do philosophy" in the sense of actually thinking through a problem in as lucid a manner as possible. Our Members represent a broad range of interests and levels of formal philosophical training, but for the most part they recognise the need, especially in this age, of intellectual discourse conducted in a civilised and respectful manner.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Fido

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:39 pm
@L Robuis,
L. Robuis;147205 wrote:
My name is L. Robuis, I have been curious about this site for some time and have just now found the time to join. What a remarkable cast of characters here, some absolute geniuses...blended with some, uh...

I'm going to study the forums carefully before I leap in and make an a-- of myself pontificating. I didn't come here to 'become someone'; rather, I am hoping to once again take philosophy out of the stodgy classrooms and send it back into the streets, where it belongs; as such, I'm hoping to attract a group of like-minded people who together can bring this essential tool for living to where it is most needed: the young, and the drifting.

I am presently studying under Tad Baker, of the Institute of Absurdity, perhaps the leading experimental theater director/pataphysician alive today. His Institute, if you'll recall, performed the San Francisco Farting Contests, Pindaro's Belly Pageants, Even the Score/Uncle Tad Baker's Loon Show (the audience-participation events which Jerry Springer later copied and made famous), along with The Execution of Abe Goldstein, a Depraved Homosexual, a show which got the I of A banned from SF. He's a recluse now and I am lucky to be able to study under him.

At any rate, I'm overjoyed to begin dialogues and rants with some of the world's few remaining philosophers.

You have always been some one, but some times it pays to be more specific...Welcome, and don't touch me. Absurdity is contagious...Or ssomething...

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 04:11 pm
@Fido,
Fido;147591 wrote:
You have always been some one, but some times it pays to be more specific...Welcome, and don't touch me. Absurdity is contagious...Or ssomething...

Absurdity might be a solid approach to Quantum fysica

Pepijn Sweep
Magister X:bigsmile:X

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Greetings from Northern California
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 11:10:33