Hello everyone

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 06:58 pm
Hi all,

im a 21 year old college freshman majoring in Aerospace Engineering and I had to take philosophy as an elective. It seems it is a subject that captivates me a lot and I would love to have people to chat with. I am interested in the distinction between a priori and a posteriori true or false and the aufbau principle. I will also post a question I have about the Principle of Uniformity of Nature. Hi to all again and I hope I can talk with all of you about philosophy.

Tchimiss

Btw, I am a native greek speaker with some vague knowledge of ancient greek so people please feel free to ask for translations!

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 07:32 pm
@tchimiss,
Welcome to the forum! I have studied the ancient Greek language as my undergrad language requirement. I am always looking for people that I can converse with in ancient Greek!

Fido

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 08:48 pm
@tchimiss,
I can see a book in your future: Philosophy and the art of Aerospace engineering...

tchimiss

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 09:16 pm
@Fido,
haha well math and philosophy does interest me. aerospace engineering is something beyond philosophy. sorry if i offend people but there is nothing more fulfilling to someone than creating.

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:22 am
@tchimiss,
tchimiss;143828 wrote:
haha well math and philosophy does interest me. aerospace engineering is something beyond philosophy. sorry if i offend people but there is nothing more fulfilling to someone than creating.

I think physics is a thing beyond philosophy, just as philosophy is a thing beyond theology...But even Aristotle in his age admitted the inventions of one age were built upon the discoveries of other ages, so no one stands alone in creation...

Now, Physics is and will always be, technically a part of philosophy... That is not where the challenge lies, because the problems humanity faces are no longer technological ones... We have enough technology if we could resolve our moral problems, and so, that is a great divide, between physics which deals with being, and its meaning, physical forms; and philosophy as we have come to think of it, dealing with moral forms, which are forms with meaning to us having no being except our own, the being we give to them out of our own lives...Physics may seem more difficult, but it has the easier path...

jgweed

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 06:42 am
@tchimiss,
Might it not be that doing philosophy is not also creating, but on first a theoretical level and second on an individual level?
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 06:53 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;143937 wrote:
Might it not be that doing philosophy is not also creating, but on first a theoretical level and second on an individual level?
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

[CENTER]Would it be terribly holistic to think first on a su-consious level ?
Secondly become aware of it and put together a theory ?
Thirdly community can communicate on any level ?

:bigsmile:
[/CENTER]

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 07:23 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;143937 wrote:
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Because culture is knowledge and before we realize we are learning we have learned so much, that there is no true creation that is not accident, so while we may discover something new, our ability to create is strictly limited to additions to past creations... We can discover new, but do nothing new in and of itself... We do because we are born with a sense of our fatality, our mortality, and seek to leave some monument to our being...I have lived to see buildings I risked my life to build as though to stand for ever pulled down and carted off in an afternoon... It is not a shame...That is life...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 09:39:50