Introducing the one, the only, me.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Introducing the one, the only, me.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:31 am
:surrender:Hello everybody. It's been about a year since I posted on a forum and I really miss the experience. My name is Jacob, I have an interest in ancient Greek philosophy, mythology, history, psychology and science in general. I have come to the conclusion recently that I haven't been writing enough and I believe this is because the new "social" media websites do not allow me to express myself. There is no substitute for an online forum as myspace and facebook have proven time and time again.

After a quick google search I found this place. Hopefully I'll be able to make some new friends, take part in some interesting discussions, and learn a few things on the way. You'll quickly find out that I have a very inquisitive mind and I love to argue. This can be both a good and a bad thing.

Don't be afraid to ask me any questions you might have or even just say hello. With any luck I'll be looking back at this post a year from now and recognizing a few familiar aliases. Smile

jgweed

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 07:48 am
@morganix,
Welcome to Philforum!
Let's hope my alias, such as it is, will be one you come to recognise (whether in a positive or negative sense remains to be seen as you get to know me and my philosophical positions).
Regards,
John

morganix

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:31 pm
@jgweed,
It would appear that your alias will be the only one. Haha. Perhaps my title came off a little egotistical. I don't mind though.

jgweed

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 07:07 am
@morganix,
Not at all egotistical. I am sure that once you begin to join in actual conversations in the threads, you will get to know more Members. Not many take the time, unfortunately, to welcome new Members, but wait until they get to "know" you through your posts before they say anything.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 12:57 pm
@morganix,
morganix;141849 wrote:
:surrender:Hello everybody. It's been about a year since I posted on a forum and I really miss the experience. My name is Jacob, I have an interest in ancient Greek philosophy, mythology, history, psychology and science in general. I have come to the conclusion recently that I haven't been writing enough and I believe this is because the new "social" media websites do not allow me to express myself. There is no substitute for an online forum as myspace and facebook have proven time and time again.

After a quick google search I found this place. Hopefully I'll be able to make some new friends, take part in some interesting discussions, and learn a few things on the way. You'll quickly find out that I have a very inquisitive mind and I love to argue. This can be both a good and a bad thing.

Don't be afraid to ask me any questions you might have or even just say hello. With any luck I'll be looking back at this post a year from now and recognizing a few familiar aliases. Smile

Why look back ?

Pepijn Sweep'sox:lol:

morganix

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 11:19 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed;142522 wrote:
Not many take the time, unfortunately, to welcome new Members, but wait until they get to "know" you through your posts before they say anything.

This seems to be true with all forums. It's kinda funny when you think about it. When you meet somebody in person you always introduce yourself. There is a lot of literature on the importance of making a positive first impression, but online it's the exact opposite. You very rarely get an introduction, and people tend to form their opinion of you much later after getting to know your character by what you say through conversations with other people.

I guess both mediums have their faults, but I have to say that I prefer the latter.

Pepijn Sweep;142684 wrote:
Why look back ?

I have an interesting history with forums. I have joined quite a few, but only taken an active interest in two. Both times I worked hard to become a regular, then a moderator, and eventually and admin. I ended up running both sites for two years. These days I always make it a point to make an introduction, so that I can look back at the beginning. I guess I like to be reminded where I started.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 01:48 am
@morganix,
morganix;142820 wrote:
This seems to be true with all forums. It's kinda funny when you think about it. When you meet somebody in person you always introduce yourself. There is a lot of literature on the importance of making a positive first impression, but online it's the exact opposite. You very rarely get an introduction, and people tend to form their opinion of you much later after getting to know your character by what you say through conversations with other people.

I guess both mediums have their faults, but I have to say that I prefer the latter.

I have an interesting history with forums. I have joined quite a few, but only taken an active interest in two. Both times I worked hard to become a regular, then a moderator, and eventually and admin. I ended up running both sites for two years. These days I always make it a point to make an introduction, so that I can look back at the beginning. I guess I like to be reminded where I started.

Why you want to run a Forum ?
:detective:

morganix

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 02:52 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;142892 wrote:
Why you want to run a Forum ?

It's not that I want to run a forum. I have been there and done that. I just like to offer my help after a few months and see how things turn out. I doubt this place would need it. I am very impressed with the layout and design of this forum. It's very organized and spread out. Somebody has put a lot of time and effort into it. It might be a little too specialized though.

I'm quickly becoming fond of this "thanks" mod as well. It's quite a bit of fun.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 03:13 am
@morganix,
morganix;142908 wrote:
It's not that I want to run a forum. I have been there and done that. I just like to offer my help after a few months and see how things turn out. I doubt this place would need it. I am very impressed with the layout and design of this forum. It's very organized and spread out. Somebody has put a lot of time and effort into it. It might be a little too specialized though.

[CENTER]:bigsmile:
I am a Forum virgin... Love this place and am glad to meet Spirits-a-like. Confusing in Time, Place and Sexe it might be; still it is a test to U'R own pre-judgements, often to my emberrasment.

Your name put me on the wrong foot. Morgan just to be a female witches name in Scotland and neigbouring countries. May be you have heard of Morgan La Fay ?

The ad-fix re-kindled Celtic pana-rama's

Beautiful Choosen
Viva la Vita !

Pepijn Sweep, magister T

[/CENTER]

morganix

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 04:28 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;142916 wrote:
I am a Forum virgin... Love this place and am glad to meet Spirits-a-like. Confusing in Time, Place and Sexe it might be; still it is a test to U'R own pre-judgements, often to my emberrasment.

It would seem that you picked a good forum as your first. I'm glad that I ran into you. Recently your comments have been a pleasure to read. You aren't the only person who makes incorrect presumptions. My first impression of you was that you were a troll, but then I realized that you do have something worth reading, it just takes a little bit of looking. :detective:

I like that about you. You're a bit of a poet.
Pepijn Sweep;142916 wrote:
Your name put me on the wrong foot. Morgan just to be a female witches name in Scotland and neigbouring countries. May be you have heard of Morgan La Fay ?

Actually you would be dead on. You see I have always had at least one dog in my life. I had a dog Morgana (named after the sorceress). She would follow me everywhere I went. I loved her to death.

My grandpa used to live about a mile away from our house and sometimes she would run over to see him. One night she ran over there and as she was following us home later that night she was hit by a speeding car. He was going at least 70mph in a 30mph zone. I saw the whole thing. The bastard didn't even stop. He just kept going. I tried to comfort her for the last few minutes of her life.

About a year later I needed a username for my first linux install. It was redhat 6.1. I came up with the name morganix to honor the death of my dog Morgana and mixed in the "ix" since I was using a unix based operating system. I've used the nickname ever since.

I have another German Shepard now. He was actually a little puppy when she died. I often wonder if he remembers her. His name is Merlin and he turns nine here pretty soon. Very Happy

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8859/dsc02763xx.jpg

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 04:46 am
@morganix,
morganix;142938 wrote:
It would seem that you picked a good forum as your first. I'm glad that I ran into you. Recently your comments have been a pleasure to read. You aren't the only person who makes incorrect presumptions. My first impression of you was that you were a troll, but then I realized that you do have something worth reading, it just takes a little bit of looking.

I like that about you. You're a bit of a poet.

Actually you would be dead on. You see I have always had at least one dog in my life. I had a dog Morgana (named after the sorceress). She would follow me everywhere I went. I loved her to death.

My grandpa used to live about a mile away from our house and sometimes she would run over to see him. One night she ran over there and as she was following us home later that night she was hit by a speeding car. He was going at least 70mph in a 30mph zone. I saw the whole thing. The bastard didn't even stop. He just kept going. I tried to comfort her for the last few minutes of her life.

About a year later I needed a username for my first linux install. It was redhat 6.1. I came up with the name morganix to honor the death of my dog Morgana and mixed in the "ix" since I was using a unix based operating system. I've used the nickname ever since.

I have another German Shepard now. He was actually a little puppy when she died. I often wonder if he remembers her. His name is Merlin and he turns nine here pretty soon. Very Happy

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8859/dsc02763xx.jpg

[CENTER][/CENTER]

morganix

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 05:01 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;142941 wrote:

[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]
I kinda inherited Merlin. He's really my moms dog but she doesn't have room for him at her place right now so he stays with me. I don't mind though. It really is nice to have somebody around, even if it is just a dog. They like to sneak up on you when you're sad and try to cheer you up! Do you have any animals now?

Pepijn Sweep;142941 wrote:
You still in this wicca ? You come across it a lot in western cultures, especilly in Europe.

I wasn't ever into wicca to be honest. I don't really know anything about it. Morgana was named after the witch in the Disney movie The Sword and The Stone. Same for Merlin. I loved that movie when I was a kid. Actually I'm still a big fan of Disney movies. I think they're classics. Ever seen Aladdin? :a-ok:

[/CENTER]

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 05:14 am
@morganix,
morganix;142945 wrote:

[CENTER]
I kinda inherited Merlin. He's really my moms dog but she doesn't have room for him at her place right now so he stays with me. I don't mind though. It really is nice to have somebody around, even if it is just a dog. They like to sneak up on you when you're sad and try to cheer you up! Do you have any animals now?

I wasn't ever into wicca to be honest. I don't really know anything about it. Morgana was named after the witch in the Disney movie The Sword and The Stone. Same for Merlin. I loved that movie when I was a kid. Actually I'm still a big fan of Disney movies. I think they're classics. Ever seen Aladdin? :a-ok:

[/CENTER]

Now we don't have pets. I take care of my sisters dog on Fridays. Funny how you call Disney classic. Do not get me wrong, I loved Donald and Mickey. About Dagobert....

Well, movies are an Art-an-Sich, like Paints etc. So you could use bthem as a reference. I seldom watch things electronicly. Well, my qomp.:whistling: I mean no tv, movies, videos etcetera. Gives own imagination more space.

morganix

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 05:32 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;142952 wrote:
Now we don't have pets. I take care of my sisters dog on Fridays. Funny how you call Disney classic. Do not get me wrong, I loved Donald and Mickey. About Dagobert....

I wasn't much of a reader when I was a kid. To be honest I was a very poor reader, and I was placed in a special reading program. A lot of my philosophy came from Disney movies back then.

"Gotta eat to live, gotta steal to eat" ... haha. The philosophy of Aladdin in a nutshell.

Pepijn Sweep;142952 wrote:
Well, movies are an Art-an-Sich, like Paints etc. So you could use bthem as a reference. I seldom watch things electronicly. Well, my qomp.:whistling: I mean no tv, movies, videos etcetera. Gives own imagination more space.

I don't like T.V. I try to stay away from it, but I love movies. I own hundreds of them. I still feel that they are as much a part of who I am as anything I have read. I don't believe they are just visual pieces of artwork, but also very artistic in emotional and psychological ways too. I know what you mean about making room for your own imagination though. I just don't think I could ever let go.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 02:37 pm
@morganix,
morganix;142956 wrote:
I wasn't much of a reader when I was a kid. To be honest I was a very poor reader, and I was placed in a special reading program. A lot of my philosophy came from Disney movies back then.

"Gotta eat to live, gotta steal to eat" ... haha. The philosophy of Aladdin in a nutshell.

I don't like T.V. I try to stay away from it, but I love movies. I own hundreds of them. I still feel that they are as much a part of who I am as anything I have read. I don't believe they are just visual pieces of artwork, but also very artistic in emotional and psychological ways too. I know what you mean about making room for your own imagination though. I just don't think I could ever let go.

What you think you have to let go ?
Your sanity ?

Trust me, it comes back usually after a while. But you'll all'ways re-member this period.

No, it's not fun; but who told you it would be ? Walt Disney ? What is his real name, country of Origin, Birth-date etc. It all Euro Thales...>

Leonard

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 03:20 pm
@morganix,
Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope you'll find what interests you.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 04:32 pm
@Leonard,
Leonard;143209 wrote:
Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope you'll find what interests you.

Thanx, Morganix will be happy. Sound terrible bright. Is their Hope for a younger US:detective: American Generation. Did you just had a generation long dip ?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Introducing the one, the only, me.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 08:48:05