Hello!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 07:14 pm
Hi, I'm a 26 year old guy from Sweden.
I already like this forum, and know that whatever I find here going to be interesting!

But since english is not my first language and philosophy often involves pretty advanced thinking and language, I just hope I'll be able to explain my philosophical thoughts from my brain into english in this forum :bigsmile:

I have never been studying philosophy, and don't know much about it. Everything philosophical I say today only comes from the heart lol. I'm a bit afraid to read too much about it, a bit scared that it will actually make my eyes and view on things become smaller and more judgmental, but I hope it wont.

As a person I feel like I'm "everything, and at the same time "nothing"". I don't mean "nothing" in bad way, but that I can understand people from all social groups. But I also see and understand the groups' weaknesses/negative sacrifices, and therefor don't take the full step inside the group.
I think many people feel like this, but still are inside or outside of the group because of wrong reasons. I want to believe I'm not :rolleyes:

I have friends from many kinds social groups, some groups that have a hard time accepting each other.
In a way it feels like they don't deserve "the full me", and in another way; it feels like I don't deserve them 100%.
Sometimes it feels like I'm just studying them all from the edge.

Sometimes I don't know if I'm just brutally honest about life, or manipulative about the situation, to make it all come to a morally/empathic right conclusion.

The result? I guess that it is a philosophical, poker playing, truck driver, that is everything but at the same time nothing.

I just don't know if I'm everything because I'm nothing, or if I'm nothing because I'm everything Smile Just trying to make the right decision on the way.

jgweed

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 06:21 am
@insomnia soul,
Not every Member has English as a first language, even those born in English speaking nations; from your introduction, your English seems sufficient, and if it causes readers confusion, I am confident they will ask for clarification.

"I'm a bit afraid to read too much about it, a bit scared that it will actually make my eyes and view on things become smaller and more judgmental, but I hope it wont."

What reading philosophy (and lucid thinking, for that matter) does is just the opposite: it makes the world larger, deeper, and more profound, while at the same time, one becomes aware of the distinctions that make judgments tentative.

Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Leonard

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 03:46 pm
@insomnia soul,
Hello and welcome to the forum. It doesn't matter if English is your first language; philosophy seems to transcend language.

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 05:41 pm
@Leonard,
Or imbedded in language, either way Swedish English as a second language speaker, its all good.

insomnia soul

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 06:03 pm
@GoshisDead,
jgweed;137469 wrote:
"I'm a bit afraid to read too much about it, a bit scared that it will actually make my eyes and view on things become smaller and more judgmental, but I hope it wont."

What reading philosophy (and lucid thinking, for that matter) does is just the opposite: it makes the world larger, deeper, and more profound, while at the same time, one becomes aware of the distinctions that make judgments tentative.

Thanks guys!
I agree for sure! The thing I mean was more that I've experienced before that I first had a open, non judgmental view on a thing. Then when discussing it got some rude comments on my view, and after that actually got a "smaller" more negative view on it, and kind of lost the will to think openly about it.
But maybe I tried to discuss things in a philosophical way in a place where people had little understanding for it. I guess this is the right place for that kind of discussion :a-ok:

Fido

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 08:45 pm
@insomnia soul,
insomnia_soul;137354 wrote:
Hi, I'm a 26 year old guy from Sweden.
I already like this forum, and know that whatever I find here going to be interesting!

But since english is not my first language and philosophy often involves pretty advanced thinking and language, I just hope I'll be able to explain my philosophical thoughts from my brain into english in this forum :bigsmile:

I have never been studying philosophy, and don't know much about it. Everything philosophical I say today only comes from the heart lol. I'm a bit afraid to read too much about it, a bit scared that it will actually make my eyes and view on things become smaller and more judgmental, but I hope it wont.

As a person I feel like I'm "everything, and at the same time "nothing"". I don't mean "nothing" in bad way, but that I can understand people from all social groups. But I also see and understand the groups' weaknesses/negative sacrifices, and therefor don't take the full step inside the group.
I think many people feel like this, but still are inside or outside of the group because of wrong reasons. I want to believe I'm not :rolleyes:

I have friends from many kinds social groups, some groups that have a hard time accepting each other.
In a way it feels like they don't deserve "the full me", and in another way; it feels like I don't deserve them 100%.
Sometimes it feels like I'm just studying them all from the edge.

Sometimes I don't know if I'm just brutally honest about life, or manipulative about the situation, to make it all come to a morally/empathic right conclusion.

The result? I guess that it is a philosophical, poker playing, truck driver, that is everything but at the same time nothing.

I just don't know if I'm everything because I'm nothing, or if I'm nothing because I'm everything Smile Just trying to make the right decision on the way.

Community is morality, and everyone belongs some where...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.18 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 02:06:03