Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 05:28 pm
Hello.I've done some introductory reading and a short evening class quite a long time ago. But I'm very much an amateur.
Brian

Leonard

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 09:26 pm
@BrianL phil,
Hello and welcome to the forum. If you have any questions feel free to ask. The members are willing to discuss whatever piques your philosophical interest.

Fido

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 06:06 am
@BrianL phil,
BrianL;136653 wrote:
Hello.I've done some introductory reading and a short evening class quite a long time ago. But I'm very much an amateur.
Brian

Me too... Being good at Philosophy is like being good at fishing....It is a sure sign of a mis-spent youth...

jgweed

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 09:36 am
@BrianL phil,
While have some background in "traditional" philosophy is extremely useful, it is just as important to be committed to approach discussions intellectually and authentically and this requires little formal study of philosophy. The Members here have varying levels of knowledge, but all share a desire to approach problems, solutions, and ideas from what one can call, in a general manner, a philosophical point of view.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Twirlip

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 09:54 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;137201 wrote:
While have some background in "traditional" philosophy is extremely useful, it is just as important to be committed to approach discussions intellectually and authentically and this requires little formal study of philosophy. The Members here have varying levels of knowledge, but all share a desire to approach problems, solutions, and ideas from what one can call, in a general manner, a philosophical point of view.

I agree with that, and I don't think anything needs to be added to it, but I would also find it philosophically interesting - at some stage, in one of these forums - to have a discussion of what we need to take for granted about one another's existence as persons, and what ideals of online verbal behaviour need to be observed, in order to have fruitful philosophical dialogue. I doubt if any agreement would emerge; also, "anything goes", in that no-one can predict what might prove fruitful for an individual; but it could still be fruitful to stage a little version of The Republic!

(Bags I get to play Socrates! But I promise I won't ban the poets, or require a knowledge of geometry, so long as I don't have to drink hemlock.)

Fido

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 07:48 pm
@BrianL phil,
Just don't make the same mistakes as your teachers...If you look at every great, and know they were wrong no matter how many think they were right, and learn what they teach knowing even their mistakes were great, then you can cut your own path...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 04:40:45