Hello there.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:03 pm
I am a 17 year old male and have recently stumbled upon my love for philosophy. I am very much a beginner however eager to gain a wealth of knowlegde on various topics. I am hoping to study History and Philosophy at university , i am not doing philosophy at AS out of fear it will be horribly patronising and focused on passing the exam, which would have frustrated me given the greater importance of philosophy on a much larger scale. My threads may be a bit , well pathetic at first but please do not bite.
Thankyou and i look forward to speaking with you all.

"I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing."

Leonard

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 06:27 pm
@Ross phil,
Hello and welcome to the forum. There is plenty to learn simply from discussing in threads. Do not worry about posting threads, the members here will gladly answer your questions.

jgweed

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 08:16 am
@Ross phil,
There is a difference between studying philosophy with a view to passing am exam, and studying philosophy with a view to passing an exam and working through the problems and positions in a serious manner because they call to you to think. Even if you temporarily avoid formal education, though, it is difficult to avoid the calling. Hopefully Philforum can provide a place when you can learn not only some of the philosophical problems and the history of their discussion in the tradition, but consider practical issues from a philosophical point of view, and begin to practice and improve your own thinking.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Fido

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 11:49 am
@Ross phil,
Ross;134849 wrote:
I am a 17 year old male and have recently stumbled upon my love for philosophy. I am very much a beginner however eager to gain a wealth of knowlegde on various topics. I am hoping to study History and Philosophy at university , i am not doing philosophy at AS out of fear it will be horribly patronising and focused on passing the exam, which would have frustrated me given the greater importance of philosophy on a much larger scale. My threads may be a bit , well pathetic at first but please do not bite.
Thankyou and i look forward to speaking with you all.

"I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing."

At university sound so English, and that is what I would say...All I know is I don't know...

Ross phil

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 12:14 pm
@Fido,
Thankyou for the replies all .
And does univeristy sound so English ? Haa Smile Are you American or just an English person who hates me conforming to the English "posh " stereotype. ( which while we are on the subject is non existent)
Thankyou for the response anyway .

Fido

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 02:15 pm
@Ross phil,
Ross;135441 wrote:
Thankyou for the replies all .
And does univeristy sound so English ? Haa Smile Are you American or just an English person who hates me conforming to the English "posh " stereotype. ( which while we are on the subject is non existent)
Thankyou for the response anyway .

I am all American, a true blue nephew of my Uncle Sam, born on the forth of July...

Ross phil

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:25 pm
@Fido,
Haa . In which case i am a noble English man, subject of her majesty and son of the Duke of Hampshire.
Coincedentally i just returned from the states. To my disappointment , few were fat and nobody shot me for being on there "yard". Smile

Fido

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 08:03 pm
@Ross phil,
Ross;135564 wrote:
Haa . In which case i am a noble English man, subject of her majesty and son of the Duke of Hampshire.
Coincedentally i just returned from the states. To my disappointment , few were fat and nobody shot me for being on there "yard". Smile

Wouldn't you rather be a yoman farmer, named for the Yew Tree, limber and strong, the perfect bow, like the American Boise de Arc???

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:41:26