Not really sure where to start.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Not really sure where to start.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 09:29 pm
Well, the directions said to make an introductory post so here it is.

I'm a teenager in the US and although I consider myself well-rounded academically, philosophy interests me more than anything. Unfortunately that makes it hard to choose a college major..but that's for another discussion.

I'm here because want to open all the doors of philosophy and leave no stone unturned. I've been struggling to solidify my beliefs (or lack thereof) and I feel I must consider all different facets of the world to do so satisfyingly. I found this forum literally searching "philosophical questions" on google, whatever that says about my intentions.

Basically I'm just looking for some thought-provoking discussions because I feel those are much more enlightening than reading the philosophy textbook I bought..but hey, that must be what everyone here's looking for.

Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 09:41 pm
@Nostalgia,
Welcome to the forum Nostalgia. I'm nearly done highschool myself, and want to pursue philosophy. I came to the forum with the same intentions.

Here we've talked about good schools for going into philosophy and philosophy books are sometimes discussed. You'll find this is a great place to learn about all the topics and discuss.

Fido

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 12:48 am
@Nostalgia,
Everyone should start at the start and end at the finish...

jeeprs

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 04:50 am
@Nostalgia,
welcome to the Forum! And, as you mentioned it - which philosophy text did you buy?

jgweed

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 08:53 am
@Nostalgia,
If you have had the call to philosophy, then there is no reason not to major in it in college; since it trains the intellect, it is a sound basis for anything else you might want to study. And, of course, philosophy is the guide to life....
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Leonard

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 05:14 pm
@Nostalgia,
Hello and welcome to the forum Nostalgia. Discussion around here tends to solidify or broaden one's philosophical beliefs for the better. There's plenty of diversity in the forums, so i'm sure you'll find something of interest.

Nostalgia

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 06:55 pm
@Nostalgia,
Thank you all for the greetings Smile

I'm not actually sure if I want to major in philosophy. From what I've been told by multiple teachers and my parents, it's not the best major to have when looking for a job. Still, I'd like to take some classes and possibly minor in it.

And jeeprs, I bought "Religion and Philosophy"; calling it a textbook may have been an overstatement.

ughaibu

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 11:02 pm
@Nostalgia,
Nostalgia;131236 wrote:
I bought "Religion and Philosophy"; calling it a textbook may have been an overstatement.
Here are some standard resources: Table of Contents
People with online papers in philosophy
PhilSci Archive - Browse by Subject

Fido

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 01:47 pm
@Nostalgia,
Nostalgia;131236 wrote:
Thank you all for the greetings Smile

I'm not actually sure if I want to major in philosophy. From what I've been told by multiple teachers and my parents, it's not the best major to have when looking for a job. Still, I'd like to take some classes and possibly minor in it.

And jeeprs, I bought "Religion and Philosophy"; calling it a textbook may have been an overstatement.

It is possible to live without a degree, but I think that when employers look at degrees they see the grade, which reflects ability, and the degree itself which shows the determination to finish something... A lot of people cannot finish anything they start. and some times I fear I may be one of them...I have to get something done...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Not really sure where to start.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 02:40:50