The philosophers I tend to favour

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » The philosophers I tend to favour

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 06:45 am
So, I just signed up and somehow my username is missing its last letter, but what the heck! Th Admins can probably fix it.

I study history of ideas/ idea history and are just about to write my masters. English is not my first language so my posts here will have some errors, but it should not be a bigger problem - I hope

I think a short list of the thinkers i have studied and favours is usefull for this kind of introduction, so here goes:

Descartes
Schopenhauer
Nietzsche
Kierkegaard
Freud
Husserl
Heildegger
Sartre
Foucault
Baumann

jgweed

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:33 am
@Antoine Roquenti,
Do I detect an inclination to Existentialist and modern continental philosophy in the list? If so, with only a couple of exceptions, I too have studied them and think them important.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Antoine Roquenti

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 02:36 pm
@Antoine Roquenti,
Existentialism more than modern continental philosophy if that is possible.

And thanks for the welcoming.

Twirlip

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 03:04 pm
@Antoine Roquenti,
Hi, Roquentin! I'm the Autodidact. Strewth! This philosophy stuff is hard work. Starting at A for Aquinas, it's a long way to Z for Zizek.

Leonard

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 12:30 am
@Antoine Roquenti,
Hello, welcome to the forum. Those are interesting philosophers, many of them seem contemporary (since 'contemporary' philosophers haven't changed too much).

Deckard

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 12:39 am
@Antoine Roquenti,
Antoine Roquenti;129954 wrote:

I study history of ideas/ idea history and are just about to write my masters. English is not my first language so my posts here will have some errors, but it should not be a bigger problem - I hope

Is history of ideas that out of a History department or a philosophy department? Do not worry about your English. Nice list of philosophers. Welcome.

Antoine Roquenti

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 12:13 pm
@Antoine Roquenti,
Until recently it was its own department but because of some cuts in the budget history of ideas and philosophy was forced together in a shotgun-wedding. The new department (of philosophy and history of ideas) works pretty well, and I think both the ol' conservative professors and students have benefited from it. But im not - strictly speaking - schooled in philosophy, only in history of ideas (despite it as an academic disipline lack its own methods really..).

I'm glad the namedropping worked. But if it was a music forum.. Dang! I dont think Britney, Christina, Lopez, Hilton and Robbie would have worked..

jgweed

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:36 am
@Antoine Roquenti,
Had I not majored in Philosophy, I would have majored in History of Ideas. Oddly enough, some of the best and most enjoyable late night conversations I had in college were with Ideas people.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » The philosophers I tend to favour
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 04:38:18