Following the Trend..

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Following the Trend..

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 09:54 am
Just a breif introduction to the community. I am a lover of philosophy...the uncertainty of what the thoughts may bring about...the excitement of what actions may result from those thoughts. It is a truley wonderful subject.
And as a side note, I would like to add one other bit of information about myself. Although I usually feel no need to explain such things as the meaning behind a username, but I would rather not have people simply glance at the name and pass up whatever useless piece of psuedo-knowledge I have to pass on lol. So when I say Envy The Retarded, I of course am speaking for myself. I envy those with mental retardation...those whos' IQ's we have deemed below average. My younger sister is mentally retarded, and I watch her in every day situations; situations that would, undoubtably, send the rest of us in to a stressfull mini-abyss. She, however, gets upset for a breif moment and moves on. She is happy...happy in a way that most of us may never know because she does not have the capability to over think, over diagnose, over analyze every situation that comes her way. I envy her. I believe she has the upper hand on all of us.
So hello and I look forward to posting.

Twirlip

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 11:09 am
@EnvyTheRetarted,
My younger brother was severely brain-damaged at birth, and he is much liked by everybody, and much happier than me! My mother once said she had the feeling that he would have been the really clever one in the family.

I've always liked this little poem:

See the happy moron
He doesn't give a damn
I wish I were a moron
Oh God - perhaps I am!

---------- Post added 02-09-2010 at 05:14 PM ----------

P.S. The individual in my profile picture is Mad Dan Eccles, of The Goon Show (as portrayed in The Telegoons), a happy idiot. If I ever chat too much, just say, "Shut up Eccles!"

Leonard

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 06:25 pm
@EnvyTheRetarted,
Hello, welcome to the forum. Thank you for the introductory post. It is easy to envy those people. It may be enjoyable to be able to live and move on rather than dwell on things until they drive you insane.

bfz

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 07:16 am
@EnvyTheRetarted,
Try developing some skills in meditation, i dont envy those who have no choice not to think, but those who can control their thought.

jgweed

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 10:12 am
@EnvyTheRetarted,
Plato's myth of the Cave seems applicable. We must imagine the people, always intently watching the shadows on the wall, to be content or happy, sometimes clapping their hands in excitement at the strange or silly actions of the figures.

But if they turned around and understood that the shadows were only high fantastical, and then if they were led from the cave into the brave sunlight outside, would they willingly return to their seat in front of the fire and continue to gaze at the shadows?

Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

EnvyTheRetarted

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 06:18 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;126744 wrote:
Plato's myth of the Cave seems applicable. We must imagine the people, always intently watching the shadows on the wall, to be content or happy, sometimes clapping their hands in excitement at the strange or silly actions of the figures.

But if they turned around and understood that the shadows were only high fantastical, and then if they were led from the cave into the brave sunlight outside, would they willingly return to their seat in front of the fire and continue to gaze at the shadows?

Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

Well, John, I think those people would leave the cave, enter the warm embrace of the sunlight, and then be content and happy, sometimes clapping their hands in excitement at the new shadows that now seem to circle them and even mimic them in the daylight.
I appreciate the welcome John. Thank you.

---------- Post added 02-12-2010 at 06:23 AM ----------

bfz;126714 wrote:
Try developing some skills in meditation, i dont envy those who have no choice not to think, but those who can control their thought.

My younger sister has a choice to think. It is simply on a lower level than the majority. Perhaps it is people like her who are "above the bar" because they do not analyze every thought. It is the basics with them, and most of the time the simple is the answer:)

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 03:13 pm
@EnvyTheRetarted,
:perplexed:Will we all become Neanderthalers in the End? Back in Platons Cave...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Following the Trend..
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 09:13:38